Motorola Droid 4 Already Reviewed by Wirefly (Video)

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 6, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Now here is something I didn't expect to see yet... we have a video review of the Motorola Droid 4 already. Wirefly, the online retailer, got their hands on the Moto Droid 4 and gave it their once over. The reviewer actually compared it to the Droid 3, which was useful. He seemed overall fairly impressed with the device. The reviewer preferred the keyboard on the Droid 4. He points out that their sizes are relatively the same, including thickness, although the Droid 4 is a tiny bit wider. He wasn't impressed with the camera. He didn't think it was bad, but simply pretty good. The reviewer liked the call quality and found it to be above average. He pointed out that the phone had government grade security encryption. He also did a speedtest and, in his location, he got a 7.9Mbps Download and a 11.6Mbps upload, which seemed a bit backwards to me.

He finally ran some benchmarks. In the quadrant test the phone scored a 2429. The Antutu benchmark scored 6200. Overall, the phone seems like a rehash of the Droid 3, with the added feature of 4G LTE, which isn't a bad thing at all, but I suppose if you don't need/want that service (or can't get it in your area), then it might be worth it to stick to the Droid 3. What do you guys think?

Source: Android.net via TalkAndroid
  2. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

Great review. I'm not getting this phone, but a good friend of mine is. Hopefully I can get a little hands on time with it when they order it.

edit: He did a good job with the camera and video. Wish he'd give his thoughts on the keyboard a bit more though. That's the main point of the phone, imo.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  3. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

I like the name Verotorola.
  4. amishdude01

amishdude01 New Member

awesome review! Im curious about the Antutu battery test with this phone.
  5. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Yeah I miss having a slider. My next phone will either be a motorola droid slider (not the 4 so I guess the 5) or an iphone. The deciding factors will be the screen size of the 5 and if its lte capable and motorola's bootloader situation. But its coming down to motorola or apple for me.
  6. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

It really is not a bad looking device and a good review. I always liked having a slider (D1 and D2) so I may at some point try and get a hold of one to check it out.
  7. blazingdisciple

blazingdisciple New Member

I was able to play with the D4 at CES and the keyboard is butter.
  8. gthotie5

gthotie5 New Member

I Have an upgrade in June so the Droid 5 will be out hopefully with a bigger screen?
    I wish my nexus had a Keyboard :(

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums
  9. npro1464

npro1464 Member

I miss my keyboard as well, but the Sense one on the Thunderbolt is terribly laggy. For me the most attractive thing about this phone is the 4 inch screen size. 4.3 is too big, IMO.

Still not a fan of Blur- it is my least favorite overlays of them all. Hope Moto follows up on their promise and decrypts the bootloaders. I wonder if this change will happen quicker once the Google merger is passed.
  10. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

I can't open the video for some reason it goes to a web page that says website doesn't exist
  11. dgstorm

I know we may be in the minority gthotie5, but I agree with you. A four inch screen seems to be the sweet spot, and 4.3 is just a bit too unwieldy for me.
  12. dgstorm

Hmmm... strange. It's still working fine from my end here. Could you be infected with some form of "redirect" malware?
  13. JohnnyS101

JohnnyS101 New Member

Damn, i bet the didn't have any toast to put that keyboard on

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  14. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

What is that

Idk what it is sometimes when I click on YouTube links it brings me there idk why
  15. pc747

Are you trying to watch it from the droidforums app?
  16. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

Yea. I'm on the app. I click on the link and it brings me to the internet page saying it cant find the address.
  17. Crf450r420

Crf450r420 New Member

This will likely be my next phone, unless I find another keyboard phone I like. I'll be checking it out as soon as it's at the the store to see. I have to have a keyboard for fast touch typing. I also like the smaller 4 inch screen. Fits in my pocket and with the slide you don't need the extra size since the keyboard doesn't cover half of it.

As for locked bootloader. Having a locked device running an open soruce OS is an oxymoron. From the report I read Google will leave Motorola as it's own company. It will be like they never bought them. This means it will likely stay locked unless Moto decides to wake up. Maybe that potition going around the web will work. I sure hope it will.
  18. apotheosis415

apotheosis415 New Member

Droid 4

Wider then the D3? No thanks. This thing is a beast already at D3. Funny the specs have rarely changed as far as weight and size go since D1.
  19. pc747

The issue is the df app.
  20. jedihep

jedihep New Member

Nice try Moto, but I'm not wasting my upgrade or money on 5 month old tech, in today's constantly chainging and improving smartphone market, that's akin to buying a 2 year old computer! And what a slap in the face to true OG Droid fans! There is absolutely no reasion that this couldn't have been released on the same exact day as the razor! Stick your marketing dept and bite me! I'll withhold my money and support for any of your products until you wise up and stop playing games! My advice to you Moto and Verizon is to start reading the user posts like this and release products when they are current! Not when they are old news by tech standards! I'm still using my OG Droid because you people cannot get your acts and a$$es in order, so that I might buy a comparable phone when it is to the same standard as the Og's, when it is still cutting edge! Why should I waste my hard earned cash on old tech to get what I want! It's not hard to get my money, just follow the Og's original formula for success! Release a top of the line cutting edge phone by industry standards that has a good slide out keyboard, a metal case, fully featured with all the newest goodies, and a removable battery, and I will gladly part with my money without question or hesitation! But since the release of the Og you haven't been able to repeat this!! You release things that are hardly able to be considered upgrades, that are not to the Og's formula, and are outdated before they are even released! Until you start providing an appropriately high tech instrument I will support that which I love by keeping it. At this rate my phone will be 10 years old before you wise up or blunder onto a hit again! And until you do you'll get no more money from me and only criticism about your failure to impress! Wake up and wise up Motorola! I love what you did with the original Droid but you haven't delivered the same quality, or standard since, when it was still a relevant and appropriately cutting edge device! I can't say it enough! Wake up and wise up!