Motorola Droid 2.2 A955 Crashing Constantly / Heating up

Miller88

Reaction score
Well, I can say that this is, by far, the WORST phone I have owned. Worse than the Blackberry Tour 9630 I had!

After applying the Verizon pushed Gingerbread update, my problems started around November (of course after it was out of warranty). The phone would randomly crash - moreso while not doing anything. Example, it'd be sitting on the table and crash but never while doing anything.

It progressed onward to the point where it would start hanging and lock up and crash while I was doing stuff.

Eventually, it got to the point that playing music, browsing the web, trying to answer a call, trying to use a camera, etc would cause it to crash. The GPS also stopped working At this point, I reset it back to factory defaults.

Much to my surprise, this didn't solve anything - back to the stock OS and no apps on.

I did that about 2 weeks ago and the phone isn't any better .. .the problems I'm having with it right now are ...
- Crashing when trying to unlock screen
- The phone will just randomly get EXTREMELY hot - sometimes the screen will be frozen, sometimes the screen will be off
- Crashing during calls (This is quite inconvenient as it's ... you know ... a phone)
- Crashing using applications like web browser, AIM, Pandor a (after it started having problems again, I figured I might as well put the stuff I use back on).

Right now it's at the point that it can only do ONE thing realiably - play netflix.

I can only use the phone for about 30 seconds or it crashes. I make a call, it crashes, I receive a call ... it crashes.

Is there anything that can be done to try to fix this or should I just throw it away and never buy another Motorola product? This is the second Motorola phone that I have been burned by.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How did you do a reset? I currently have the D2, and while my problems don't seem as bad as yours, it's still a terrible phone. I've already vowed never to buy another Motorola product. The support is terrible. My upgrade is this month, thank God.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
OP : sounds like a bad update from the get-go. It also sounds as if you have not tried to flash SBF yet. My d2g's first gingerbread ota update was a disaster for some reason. I did a SBF flash and re-updated ota gingerbread. With the exception of the keyboard-softkey lighting "bug" this phone has been working like a charm.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
*edit* ok, I see where you state "back to stock...."

OP
M

Miller88

Reaction score
How did you do a reset? I currently have the D2, and while my problems don't seem as bad as yours, it's still a terrible phone. I've already vowed never to buy another Motorola product. The support is terrible. My upgrade is this month, thank God.

At least I'm not the only one having problems with this phone. My upgrade is in November of 2012. I did a reset both from settings > personal data (I think) and from the bootloader. The phone did work flawlessly for almost a year.

OP : sounds like a bad update from the get-go. It also sounds as if you have not tried to flash SBF yet. My d2g's first gingerbread ota update was a disaster for some reason. I did a SBF flash and re-updated ota gingerbread. With the exception of the keyboard-softkey lighting "bug" this phone has been working like a charm.

I'm an IT guy and a car guy. SBF means small block ford. What's SBF stand for?

What's the softkey lighting bug? I enabled the swype keyboard and disabled multitouch (that helped for a bit ...)

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=180065

use this link, great info on your question, lotsa links to files you need, etc.
Restore only redoes the data section. Sbf is equivalent to formatting the hard drive and the re-installing windows from scratch. Then redownload the ota updates.
Another way to look at it: Restore is like removing your add-ons (like headers, high-rise manifold, holley double-pump). Sbf is like replacing the whole engine, trany with a new factory replacement

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Miller88 said:
I'm an IT guy and a car guy. SBF means small block ford. What's SBF stand for?

It's short for "Your phone is junk, try reflashing the software."

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk