Motorola Droid 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKastle

Reaction score
HTC will be editing the code to 2.1 so add in their "Sense UI"....but I am sure they will have ample time before hand to accomplish this. No one knows the date.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
no I haven't been reading the all of the others to do with 2.1 because of the massive amounts of crap that everything gets lost in and the posts that people make about their email repeatedly not working instead of checking the faq, and yes I have read this thread from the beginning on the main page.

two posts above me the martin said that Sense UI may be involved and then it was shot down by the person above him suggesting that sense was a ui and wouldn't be on the google phone, and other than that is what I was asking. Thank you for answering my question, however.

this was my mistake... Sense UI won't have a place in the "google phone" aka Nexus (HTC is just the manufacturer of the device).... thankfully I was corrected quickly. Sorry for any confusion.

wilsonltsoi

Reaction score
The 3G frequencies are that of T-Mobile.

So you can use the phone on AT&T, but you won't have 3G.

You will not be able to use the phone on Verizon's network as it isn't CDMA.

man.. google must hate AT&T or somethin. but thats reallly smart of them to not allow the Nexus to be compatible with them.

Since nexus is coming to verizon as well. I wonder how the droid will compete against it.. the only main plus that the droid has is that physical keyboard.

immobile

Reaction score
From what I've read so far, it would would not work on Verizon's current network.

*I just read from the Nexus One Google phones website that led me there from a link on phonescoop there's a page where you can order it Unlocked, locked to T-Mobile, AT&T, both with the option to order or buy it, then listed in the "to come or Future" was Verizon and one more that I can't recall. There is also an option to be notified when these and others come available. Now that I think of it, the link from phonescoop that I got it from was an artical about it coming to Verizon. I don't really care because phones w/out a physical keyboard and I don't hit it off.

immobile

Reaction score
As far as 2.1 coming to the Droid in the mid-Sep. Range, I've also read in a number of sites & newsletters that we should see it within a few days.

zenman77

Reaction score
I received an email from the webmaster here that the update would be released in a couple of days and that we should 2.1 to manually install shortly after....... Here's the email that I received.....

[email protected]

to me

zenman77,

It's been a wild ride the past couple of weeks with news of the Nexus One, Android 2.1 and the Droid. We've got some good news and some even better news for the Droid nation out there.

First of all, we've always supported choice in the market... choice promotes innovation, competition and of course competitive pricing, so it's always a good thing for consumers. Google has just made sure that there will be plenty of that with new-edge, high tech cell phones.

The Nexus One has been announced and it currently is available for sale both unlocked and unsubsidized or via contract on T-Mobile. However, more importantly for us it's also available on the Verizon network starting in Spring of 2010.

The Droid of course is a great phone and has great hardware and some features that the Nexus One does not... and that's when we were excited to hear from the Google team that Android 2.1 should be "open sourced" and available for use on handsets that support it (this includes the Droid) within the next couple of days. Expect to see all the goodness of 2.1 on your Droid very soon, including Live Wallpapers and the recently announced Google Earth for Android which will be available from the App store very soon.

We've got a ton of information on the Nexus One at the following resources:

=====
* Nexus One Forum - http://www.nexusoneforum.net

Be sure to register as soon as possible and get your low Member ID if you even think you might pick up a Nexus One in the future.
=====

=====
* Nexus One Forum Twitter account - Nexus One Forum (NexusOneForum) on Twitter

Get the latest news and updates as soon as it happens via our Twitter account.
=====

=====
* Nexus One Fans Facebook Page - Nexus One Fans | Facebook

Show your love for the Nexus One and participate in the Fan page! Spread the word!
=====

=====
* Nexus One Order page - Nexus One Phone - Web meets phone.

You can order your Nexus One today and it includes free FedEx overnight shipping. You can also post your order # and compare it to others in this thread: Post your Nexus One Order # - Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum
=====

We will keep you updated with both Droid news as well as Nexus One news as it happens! Be sure to keep checking the Droid Forums:

http://www.droidforums.net

--
DroidForums.net Administration team!

kylo77

Reaction score
Does anyone know if 2.1 will come via OTA or will we have to upgrade manually?

Jeff~

Reaction score
I personally hate how the LED Notification light only blinks green. I know there are some apps that can change it to different colors based on what the notification is, but they don't encompass all notifications. Since it appears the the N1 has this feature in it's trackball does anyone know if that would be an N1 feature or an 2.1 feature. and when we inevitably get 2.1 will that feature transfer to our LED Indicator. I have seen it use at least 10 different colors so I know it's possible.

stuhasdroid

Reaction score
Not sure Nexus One docks like a Droid

Beyond the physical keyboard another difference may be the docking options for the Droid. I'm not sure on this someone else might clarify if the Nexus One matches the Droid on Nav.

I like my Droid. A lot. And the keyboard isn't the icing for me. IMHO the icing is the Google Nav and docking. When I bought my Droid I wanted to be on Verizon and the Eris didn't have the functionality the Droid did.

The Nexus One may have the faster processor which is attractive but I'm not hearing the media talking about its docking capability or Nav.

Nav is big. I was just reading this morning about a Nav cradle for the IPOD touch. Hmm, sounds like someone trying to catch up. Cause Nav is big.

I agree with what someone else said. 2.1 isn't the game changer. The game changed with Android. There will always be later phones just as there is with laptops, etc ..

I'll stick with my Droid and be very happy for two years. Nice having new features roll out to you periodically.

Peace,

The 3G frequencies are that of T-Mobile.

So you can use the phone on AT&T, but you won't have 3G.

You will not be able to use the phone on Verizon's network as it isn't CDMA.

man.. google must hate AT&T or somethin. but thats reallly smart of them to not allow the Nexus to be compatible with them.

Since nexus is coming to verizon as well. I wonder how the droid will compete against it.. the only main plus that the droid has is that physical keyboard.

crazygemini1919

Reaction score
i just checked out the nexus on the google homepage... and its the same exact thing (icons, layout,ect) of the droid... cuz obv there both android phones..... i would never buy an all touch screen phone.. i must have a keyboard therefor droid is much better then the nexus

crazygemini1919

Reaction score
im new to this so i dont even know what the big deal about 2.1 is nor the difference? .. ive had my droid for a week now and i love it, best phone ive had thus far

zenman77

Reaction score
As well you should Crazy. I've owned Treo 700wx, HTC xv6800 and Touch Pro and this smartphone in my opinion sends them all home packing.......... and I think with every little upgrade this thing will get even better........... Having said that, I am looking forward to checking out 2.1 :)

gentlefury

Reaction score
As well you should Crazy. I've owned Treo 700wx, HTC xv6800 and Touch Pro and this smartphone in my opinion sends them all home packing.......... and I think with every little upgrade this thing will get even better........... Having said that, I am looking forward to checking out 2.1 :)

I had the vx6800! I used to watch movies on the bus ride home with it, and play duke nukem...lol

It was a brick and the call quality was the worst I ever experienced! I seriously despise windows mobile.

I have had the iPod Touch now for over a year and have longed for an iphone on verizon...when the droid came out I looked at it skeptically (coming from the pathetic LG Dare!) thinking it would be yet another disapointment.

I'm happy to report I have not touched my iPod Touch (no pun there) since I activated my Droid. Best damn phone I've ever had.....miles ahead of the iPhone!

The only thing I don't like is that I can't for the life of me find a good Solitaire game!! I paid $7 for the one I had on my iPod and got so many hours use out of it its ridiculous! But I guess the tradeoff is that for $9 I bought the nes, snes and genesis emulators and transfered all my roms (1.29GB worth) to my droid, now I have over 1,000 games on there. Not bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.