Motorola Droid 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder how long it will take the Droid to get Android 2.1?

Again the scheduled release is Jan.

Scheduled? More like rumored right?I know there is a sheduled update for January but there's no hard evidence that that particular update is 2.1

It could just as well be 2.0.2 as far as I know. I hope you're right but I don't know of any proof other than speculation.

The nexus one also isn't the only device slated to have 2.1 when it comes out, which is supposed to be in jan / feb. So while it is rumored / scheduled to be the update we receive, i'm not worried.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
Ok, I have a Noob question. Forgive me for not quite getting this. :confused:

Isn't it just as good that we get the 2.1 update on the Droid? Would the Nexus have some kind of advantage over the Droid eventhough isn't running the same version of the OS?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, I have a Noob question. Forgive me for not quite getting this. :confused:

Isn't it just as good that we get the 2.1 update on the Droid? Would the Nexus have some kind of advantage over the Droid eventhough isn't running the same version of the OS?

It will be running the same version... only difference would be Sense UI added on top of the Android OS.

brianr0131

Reaction score
It will be running the same version... only difference would be Sense UI added on top of the Android OS.

This isn't accurate. The Nexus is a google phone that happens to be manufactured by HTC. The phone will likely have Zero HTC markings on it. There will not be a sniff of Sensu UI on that phone at all. Google's phone, Google's OS, no custom OEM add on's like Sense, Blur etc. This will be vanilla android. Part of their reasoning is to be able to push updates etc without carrier approvals and delays.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

This isn't accurate. The Nexus is a google phone that happens to be manufactured by HTC. The phone will likely have Zero HTC markings on it. There will not be a sniff of Sensu UI on that phone at all. Google's phone, Google's OS, no custom OEM add on's like Sense, Blur etc. This will be vanilla android. Part of their reasoning is to be able to push updates etc without carrier approvals and delays.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

edit: windstrings condensed a lot of update articles (regarding 2.1) into this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/9515-android-2-1-coming-january.html

austinnadz

Reaction score
Other than rumors of sense UI, are there any ideas of what 2.1 will bring to the table?

It sounds like a lot of the droid bugs were fixed with 2.0.1, so other than maybe a 2.0.2 update, would there be any reason for the droid to have 2.1 pushed to it other than demand or competition? This question may be answered if we figure out anything that 2.1 will come with.

LordKastle

Reaction score
The reason why the Droid and Eris will be getting it is because Google needs all modern Android devices to be running the relative same OS so programmers can develop apps successfully without complications. Without question 2.1 will be released.

The Nexus was supposed to be the "Google Phone"..whether or not they decide to market it that way now is irrelevant. They were supposed to release the device on 3G and not 4G so obviously this would be the only time frame that makes sense to keep the phone relevant. Google would not release a 3G phone in the middle of 2010 when phones in 2011 will begin to be on 4G and LTE.

So correct, this phone will have no HTC labels and no "Sense." Google paid HTC to produce the phone and it is not truly an HTC device more so they got instructions on how to build the phone from Google.

Ironically this phone will not be "UNLOCKED" like originally planned. Verizon denied Google's idea and they were forced to make it GSM. Ironically once again T-Mobile, Google's "official" carrier, will be the one promoting it. Word has it that the only data working on AT&T is EDGE and not 3G. This means that AT&T would not promote the Nexus/"Google Phone" on their network like originally planned unless changes are made in the next few weeks.

So ultimately, the "Google Phone" will be a failure in the context of what Google wanted to do originally. (Selling it on their own, open to all networks) I am sure it will be a good quality device if you want to use it on a GSM network like T-Mobile.

Mojo

Reaction score
Other than rumors of sense UI, are there any ideas of what 2.1 will bring to the table?

It sounds like a lot of the droid bugs were fixed with 2.0.1, so other than maybe a 2.0.2 update, would there be any reason for the droid to have 2.1 pushed to it other than demand or competition? This question may be answered if we figure out anything that 2.1 will come with.

Not trying to get down on you or flame you...but you have not been reading this thread or any others to do with 2.1.

First, OS 2.1 has nothing to do with Sense UI. Sense UI is a just a UI created by HTC for HTC phones like the hero or eris. HTC is working on porting Sense UI to work with 2.0 and higher OS.
If you are thinking that the NexusOne aka the google phone aka the Gphone aka the Passion aka the Dragon...and so on. Is going to have Sense UI, it will not. It is a google experience phone that is made by HTC. Thats it. It will have a bare Android OS. Just like the Moto Droid did.

Now from what we know... there will be more widgets in the 2.1 OS, there will be the ability to have animated wallpapers and widgets, there will some Google UI changes...and some other things. The update will be incremental. It will probably fix somethings and give us a little more functionality. It will probably break other things. This is not something that is going to be a game changer. Cause the game has already been changed ;) k

So sit back and wait for all the Google Goodies to come out in Jan :icon_ devil:

austinnadz

Reaction score
no I haven't been reading the all of the others to do with 2.1 because of the massive amounts of crap that everything gets lost in and the posts that people make about their email repeatedly not working instead of checking the faq, and yes I have read this thread from the beginning on the main page.

two posts above me the martin said that Sense UI may be involved and then it was shot down by the person above him suggesting that sense was a ui and wouldn't be on the google phone, and other than that is what I was asking. Thank you for answering my question, however.

windstrings

Reaction score
I agree.. it only makes sense that all carriers upgrade pretty close to the same time and keep all the Android versions current and the same.. otherwise it will be nightmare for Dev's who already have a challenge with so many different devices running different combination of apps and widgets.

I expect the Dec11 update was to get us out of the mud and the real effort is being spent on Android 2.1 of which I would be very surprised if the Droid was not a recipient of.

While 2.01 is up and working pretty good, there are still some basic functional things missing I would hope would be addressed in 2.1., then I would expect a 2.1.01 release by March or similar after the bugs are worked out.. of course this is all conjecture.

capemark

Reaction score
when will Android 2 be availabel for Eris?

When will Android 2.0 or 2.1 be available for the Droid Eris?

Thanks

capemark

Reaction score
Anyone know when Android 2.0/2.1 will be available for the Eris?

Status
Not open for further replies.