Motorola Droid 2.1

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by danDroid, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

edit: windstrings condensed a lot of update articles (regarding 2.1) into this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/9515-android-2-1-coming-january.html
  2. austinnadz

austinnadz New Member

Other than rumors of sense UI, are there any ideas of what 2.1 will bring to the table?

It sounds like a lot of the droid bugs were fixed with 2.0.1, so other than maybe a 2.0.2 update, would there be any reason for the droid to have 2.1 pushed to it other than demand or competition? This question may be answered if we figure out anything that 2.1 will come with.
  3. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

The reason why the Droid and Eris will be getting it is because Google needs all modern Android devices to be running the relative same OS so programmers can develop apps successfully without complications. Without question 2.1 will be released.

The Nexus was supposed to be the "Google Phone"..whether or not they decide to market it that way now is irrelevant. They were supposed to release the device on 3G and not 4G so obviously this would be the only time frame that makes sense to keep the phone relevant. Google would not release a 3G phone in the middle of 2010 when phones in 2011 will begin to be on 4G and LTE.

So correct, this phone will have no HTC labels and no "Sense." Google paid HTC to produce the phone and it is not truly an HTC device more so they got instructions on how to build the phone from Google.

Ironically this phone will not be "UNLOCKED" like originally planned. Verizon denied Google's idea and they were forced to make it GSM. Ironically once again T-Mobile, Google's "official" carrier, will be the one promoting it. Word has it that the only data working on AT&T is EDGE and not 3G. This means that AT&T would not promote the Nexus/"Google Phone" on their network like originally planned unless changes are made in the next few weeks.

So ultimately, the "Google Phone" will be a failure in the context of what Google wanted to do originally. (Selling it on their own, open to all networks) I am sure it will be a good quality device if you want to use it on a GSM network like T-Mobile.
  4. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Not trying to get down on you or flame you...but you have not been reading this thread or any others to do with 2.1.

First, OS 2.1 has nothing to do with Sense UI. Sense UI is a just a UI created by HTC for HTC phones like the hero or eris. HTC is working on porting Sense UI to work with 2.0 and higher OS.
    If you are thinking that the NexusOne aka the google phone aka the Gphone aka the Passion aka the Dragon...and so on. Is going to have Sense UI, it will not. It is a google experience phone that is made by HTC. Thats it. It will have a bare Android OS. Just like the Moto Droid did.

Now from what we know... there will be more widgets in the 2.1 OS, there will be the ability to have animated wallpapers and widgets, there will some Google UI changes...and some other things. The update will be incremental. It will probably fix somethings and give us a little more functionality. It will probably break other things. This is not something that is going to be a game changer. Cause the game has already been changed ;) k

So sit back and wait for all the Google Goodies to come out in Jan :icon_ devil:
  5. austinnadz

austinnadz New Member

no I haven't been reading the all of the others to do with 2.1 because of the massive amounts of crap that everything gets lost in and the posts that people make about their email repeatedly not working instead of checking the faq, and yes I have read this thread from the beginning on the main page.

two posts above me the martin said that Sense UI may be involved and then it was shot down by the person above him suggesting that sense was a ui and wouldn't be on the google phone, and other than that is what I was asking. Thank you for answering my question, however.
  6. windstrings

windstrings New Member

I agree.. it only makes sense that all carriers upgrade pretty close to the same time and keep all the Android versions current and the same.. otherwise it will be nightmare for Dev's who already have a challenge with so many different devices running different combination of apps and widgets.

I expect the Dec11 update was to get us out of the mud and the real effort is being spent on Android 2.1 of which I would be very surprised if the Droid was not a recipient of.

While 2.01 is up and working pretty good, there are still some basic functional things missing I would hope would be addressed in 2.1., then I would expect a 2.1.01 release by March or similar after the bugs are worked out.. of course this is all conjecture.
  7. Aluminum21

Aluminum21 New Member

won't the droid get FW updates for 2.1?
  8. windstrings

windstrings New Member

I would certainly expect so
  9. capemark

capemark New Member

when will Android 2 be availabel for Eris?

When will Android 2.0 or 2.1 be available for the Droid Eris?

Thanks
  10. capemark

capemark New Member

Anyone know when Android 2.0/2.1 will be available for the Eris?
  11. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

HTC will be editing the code to 2.1 so add in their "Sense UI"....but I am sure they will have ample time before hand to accomplish this. No one knows the date.
  12. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

this was my mistake... Sense UI won't have a place in the "google phone" aka Nexus (HTC is just the manufacturer of the device).... thankfully I was corrected quickly. Sorry for any confusion.
  13. wilsonltsoi

wilsonltsoi New Member

man.. google must hate AT&T or somethin. but thats reallly smart of them to not allow the Nexus to be compatible with them.

Since nexus is coming to verizon as well. I wonder how the droid will compete against it.. the only main plus that the droid has is that physical keyboard.
  14. immobile

immobile New Member

*I just read from the Nexus One Google phones website that led me there from a link on phonescoop there's a page where you can order it Unlocked, locked to T-Mobile, AT&T, both with the option to order or buy it, then listed in the "to come or Future" was Verizon and one more that I can't recall. There is also an option to be notified when these and others come available. Now that I think of it, the link from phonescoop that I got it from was an artical about it coming to Verizon. I don't really care because phones w/out a physical keyboard and I don't hit it off.
  15. immobile

immobile New Member

As far as 2.1 coming to the Droid in the mid-Sep. Range, I've also read in a number of sites & newsletters that we should see it within a few days.
  16. zenman77

zenman77 New Member

I received an email from the webmaster here that the update would be released in a couple of days and that we should 2.1 to manually install shortly after....... Here's the email that I received.....

webmaster@droidforums.net

to me

zenman77,

It's been a wild ride the past couple of weeks with news of the Nexus One, Android 2.1 and the Droid. We've got some good news and some even better news for the Droid nation out there.

First of all, we've always supported choice in the market... choice promotes innovation, competition and of course competitive pricing, so it's always a good thing for consumers. Google has just made sure that there will be plenty of that with new-edge, high tech cell phones.

The Nexus One has been announced and it currently is available for sale both unlocked and unsubsidized or via contract on T-Mobile. However, more importantly for us it's also available on the Verizon network starting in Spring of 2010.

The Droid of course is a great phone and has great hardware and some features that the Nexus One does not... and that's when we were excited to hear from the Google team that Android 2.1 should be "open sourced" and available for use on handsets that support it (this includes the Droid) within the next couple of days. Expect to see all the goodness of 2.1 on your Droid very soon, including Live Wallpapers and the recently announced Google Earth for Android which will be available from the App store very soon.

We've got a ton of information on the Nexus One at the following resources:

=====
    * Nexus One Forum - http://www.nexusoneforum.net

Be sure to register as soon as possible and get your low Member ID if you even think you might pick up a Nexus One in the future.
    =====

=====
    * Nexus One Forum Twitter account - Nexus One Forum (NexusOneForum) on Twitter

Get the latest news and updates as soon as it happens via our Twitter account.
    =====

=====
    * Nexus One Fans Facebook Page - Nexus One Fans | Facebook

Show your love for the Nexus One and participate in the Fan page! Spread the word!
    =====

=====
    * Nexus One Order page - Nexus One Phone - Web meets phone.

You can order your Nexus One today and it includes free FedEx overnight shipping. You can also post your order # and compare it to others in this thread: Post your Nexus One Order # - Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum
    =====

We will keep you updated with both Droid news as well as Nexus One news as it happens! Be sure to keep checking the Droid Forums:

http://www.droidforums.net

--
    DroidForums.net Administration team!
  17. kylo77

kylo77 New Member

Does anyone know if 2.1 will come via OTA or will we have to upgrade manually?
  18. speeddemon40

speeddemon40 New Member

Good question. I was wondering that after receiving the same email zenman did
  19. Jeff~

Jeff~ New Member

I personally hate how the LED Notification light only blinks green. I know there are some apps that can change it to different colors based on what the notification is, but they don't encompass all notifications. Since it appears the the N1 has this feature in it's trackball does anyone know if that would be an N1 feature or an 2.1 feature. and when we inevitably get 2.1 will that feature transfer to our LED Indicator. I have seen it use at least 10 different colors so I know it's possible.
  20. stuhasdroid

stuhasdroid New Member

Not sure Nexus One docks like a Droid

Beyond the physical keyboard another difference may be the docking options for the Droid. I'm not sure on this someone else might clarify if the Nexus One matches the Droid on Nav.

I like my Droid. A lot. And the keyboard isn't the icing for me. IMHO the icing is the Google Nav and docking. When I bought my Droid I wanted to be on Verizon and the Eris didn't have the functionality the Droid did.

The Nexus One may have the faster processor which is attractive but I'm not hearing the media talking about its docking capability or Nav.

Nav is big. I was just reading this morning about a Nav cradle for the IPOD touch. Hmm, sounds like someone trying to catch up. Cause Nav is big.

I agree with what someone else said. 2.1 isn't the game changer. The game changed with Android. There will always be later phones just as there is with laptops, etc ..

I'll stick with my Droid and be very happy for two years. Nice having new features roll out to you periodically.

Peace,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
android 2.1.187 reset

content

droid 1 place droid2

droid ultra dac

frutavie frustration
motorola 198.16.51
motorola a159