Motorola Droid 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iDroiid

Reaction score
so wait when will this be released for the Motorola droid? and how will it be updated?

dpw2atox

Reaction score
IF we are to believe the Verizon leak which was correct about the first OTA update, it "should" be released on or slightly before Jan 22nd.

The only thing is, this was leaked almost 2.5 months ago and in software development a lot can change in that amount of time. While a lot of the 2.1 code is posted on the google source code repositories, there hasnt been (to my knowledge) an official 2.1 source release, only the SDK. This could mean any number of things.

- There could be patches being added to address any security holes found
- The 2.1 that is on the Nexus One "might" not be the final 2.1 and there could be an OTA update in the near future for it as well with the final 2.1
- Google could just be sitting there and taking their sweet time to release the official source for whatever reason

To make matters even more complicated, it could also not even matter as Motorola might have the final 2.1 code and might "hopefully" be adding Droid specific optimizations/driver updates, maybe updating some of the bundled apps, possibly updating the device firmware as part of the 2.1 update to fix any issues, etc.

flavious27

Reaction score
IF we are to believe the Verizon leak which was correct about the first OTA update, it "should" be released on or slightly before Jan 22nd.

The only thing is, this was leaked almost 2.5 months ago and in software development a lot can change in that amount of time. While a lot of the 2.1 code is posted on the google source code repositories, there hasnt been (to my knowledge) an official 2.1 source release, only the SDK. This could mean any number of things.

- There could be patches being added to address any security holes found
- The 2.1 that is on the Nexus One "might" not be the final 2.1 and there could be an OTA update in the near future for it as well with the final 2.1
- Google could just be sitting there and taking their sweet time to release the official source for whatever reason

To make matters even more complicated, it could also not even matter as Motorola might have the final 2.1 code and might "hopefully" be adding Droid specific optimizations/driver updates, maybe updating some of the bundled apps, possibly updating the device firmware as part of the 2.1 update to fix any issues, etc.

After how badly the nexus 1 release has been so far, I doubt google would do anything that would not help the sales of the hottest android phone.

On a unrelated note, has anything heard anything about the progress with Gizmo5 and GV?

NaterGator

Reaction score
dpw2atox, I'm pretty sure being a big development and corporate partner Motorola is getting to see private development and RC branches of the 2.1 codebase from Google that we don't. Google knows Motorola has to go through and apply any patches they want, run it through their QA people, and test to ensure they can deploy it without bricking devices.

dpw2atox

Reaction score
NaterGator, of course Motorola has access to private development branches of the 2.1 codebase. In fact when the Droid was being designed, the dev team from Motorola worked off site very close to Google so they could easily work together on it.

All i was trying to say was Motorola "might" have the final 2.1 source and be working on it. I am sure they would have RC5 or whatever the latest "stable snapshot" is if there wasnt an official gold build.

mjs31

Reaction score
I'm coming from the world of Blackberry where we are still waiting for 5.0 for like a year now. So I don't expect any kind of miracles here for a speedy release. I'll be glad if we have this before summer.

LMAO...oh how Blackberry makes people see the glass half empty. You are not a bb user anymore...already had 2.0.1 and 2.1 will be here faster than you can imagine.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm coming from the world of Blackberry where we are still waiting for 5.0 for like a year now. So I don't expect any kind of miracles here for a speedy release. I'll be glad if we have this before summer.

LMAO...oh how Blackberry makes people see the glass half empty. You are not a bb user anymore...already had 2.0.1 and 2.1 will be here faster than you can imagine.
I came from BB... we Storm-ees had 5.0.... let me tell you, you aren't missing anything. 5.0 was an epic fail. :mad:

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I mean who's to say it isn't going to start tonight :)

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score

I mean who's to say it isn't going to start tonight :)
Now that's positive thinking! :D

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
I currently have the flan picture gallery installed (the 2.1 gallery) and the weather/news widget, while using 2.0.1. Is is advisable uninstall these before I upgrade to 2.1 when it comes out?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised we are this close to a over the air update and still don't have access to a downloadable file to install manually.... am I missing something?

Sounds like more of an argument that the release will be later than thought/anticipated. Just my $.02

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised we are this close to a over the air update and still don't have access to a downloadable file to install manually.... am I missing something?

Sounds like more of an argument that the release will be later than thought/anticipated. Just my $.02

I don't think so. The 2.1 update has been kept very quiet. Maybe they don't want the file to leak

Status
Not open for further replies.