Motorola Dishes New Details on X8 Architecture in the Moto X

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 1, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

For those out there who are still unsure of the power contained within the internals of the new Moto X, your fears may be put to rest after hearing the latest info straight from Google. Iqbal Arshad, Motorola's senior vice president of engineering had a great deal to say about the custom X8 architecture found in the new Moto X (and the Verizon Droid series). First, before we share the juicy gossip, we have a more extensive breakdown of the internals to share. This one came from a Taylor Wimberly update from about a week ago that we overlooked. It fits nicely with this discussion so we decided to include it here:

"A mobile computing system powers the new Motorola devices, as opposed to a standard application processor chip found in every smartphone. This involves eight tightly integrated processors, special algorithms, and sensors. No one except Motorola could create this system. The result is a consumer experience like no other. Below is what it entails and see the next section for what it enables:

• Four powerful graphics processors each running at 400 MHz delivering 3.2 million pixel fill rate,16 shader units, 512kb dedicated cached memory and running the Egypt performance benchmark at a blazing 155 frames per second (FPS). Fully compliant with Android Project Butter.
    • Two ultra fast application processors each running at 1.7 GHz, 28nm low-*power technology, high‐speed dual-*channel DDR RAM running at 533 MHz.
    • One local natural language processor (L‐NLP). Motorola proprietary low‐power specialized processor with audio sensors, noise estimators, noise cancellation, and speech recognition technology to enable always-on voice based user interaction without sacrificing battery life.
    • One contextual computing processor (CCP). Motorola proprietary low-power specialized processor that computes contextual data from sensors enabling intelligent mobile computing and always-on display mode.
    • Our main chipset has two CPUs and quad GPUs. We have added two additional low*‐power processors (Contextual Processor, Natural Language Processor) in our system design. So we are not saying we have an octa-*core chip, but we have an octa-*core Mobile Computing System. Silicon vendors only like to talk about dual versus quad core main CPUs because that is how they are priced. We have to brand and market our system as opposed to a chip.
    Our approach is completely different. We have built a custom system around the application processor. For example, the new Motorola devices do not use the battery hungry application processor to do always on audio or display. We have custom designed our system to deliver great experiences without killing the battery. We have built the first true mobile computing system.”

Now that you have a more technical look at the internals, let's see what Mr. Arshad had to say about this new technology in a PC Mag article,

That's a great deal to take in, but it seems quite worth digesting. Over the past year it's been easy to become jaded with how things are evolving with smartphone technology and start to assume there is no room left for innovation. It seems that Motorola and Google are intent on proving that wrong. This just makes us all the more excited to "dive in" to the final launch tonight!

Stay tuned for that news, as we will be staying up late to cover it right here!

Source: MotoXForums.com

2. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +56
    So this is now confirmed?

3. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief

Ratings:
    +4,254
    Yes... none of this is rumor. The only thing that is not 100% is that the Moto X will come with pure Android. That is only about 90% confirmed at this time. If it does have any skinning, it will likely be very minimal.

4. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +339
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
    If reading that doesn't give you a good nerd fix I don't know what would! ;)

5. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Hmmm, early rumors had this phone quite underpowered for what we all thought it was going to be. All those have been put to rest with the stats given and I think this is going to be a great phone. I wonder if other manufacturers will adopt a similar approach to better our Android experience.

6. combatmedic870

Ratings:
    +56
    199 on contract. DOA for me personally

7. camaro1173

camaro1173 Member

Ratings:
    +2
  8. trestevenson

trestevenson Active Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Current Phone Model:
    Huawei Nexus 6P
    I'll have to see one in person first, but I'm considering replacing my G-Nex with one of these. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I've got to admit I'm anxious to see what this device has to offer.

9. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Pretty much pure Android is what it looks like....

accessories galore as well

10. combatmedic870

Ratings:
    +56
  11. Dusty

Dusty Gold Member

Ratings:
    +593
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Soul crippling disappointment.

S4 it is.

12. morcguy

morcguy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Seems like the Droids are a better deal. Latest info says internals are basically identical to new Droids.

Search tags for this page

moto x8 architecture

motolora x8 achitacture
when will the motorola x come dish
x8 arcitexture