Motorola Defy – Just in time for Xmas!

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
moto-defy.jpg

After making its debut on the Oprah show last week, Motorola’s new baby the Defy, is certainly turning heads with that huge display and a 5 MP camera. According to sources, the smartphone is finally due to hit US and UK shores by Christmas. This means that all you Moto fanatics should be able to pick one up and start enjoying Android 2.1 in just about no time. While it might just be the weirdest name for a phone yet, this durable Android 2.1 device features all the goodies you’d expect such as A-GPS, Wi-Fi and even DLNA, meaning that it should have all the connectivity to hook-up to your TV, Hi-Fi and even more. Exclusive to T-Mobile, prices are as of yet unavailable but as soon as we have any info, we’ll let you know. For now however, entertain yourselves with a recap on just what to expect.

On the surface, the Defy looks like a great handset and it remains to be seen whether it can compete with the likes of iPhone 4 and the various smartphones that HTC are chugging out. With a massive 3.7inch 16 million color display, it’s certainly got the looks, but this Android 2.1 device reneges on the promises of an NVidia Tegra dual core CPU and instead supplies a rather mundane 800 MHz ARM chip, indeed, while there should be plenty of power to run all your apps, It remains to be seen whether the Defy has what it takes to excite the masses. Judging by the specs, the Defy is the Droid’s little hard-wearing brother, and hopefully it’ll come in at a decent price point. With a Gorilla Glass, water and dust resistant finish, it looks like it’ll survive just about anything, but can it survive Xmas?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is Motorola releasing a ton of phones recently?

Motorola and every other phone maker, but I think the reason you're seeing Motorola so much is because they are releasing a lot of Android phones. This one goes to show that not every new phone is better then the last, IMHO.

Zargon

Reaction score
2.1, 800MHz, "massive" 3.7" display? This is not exciting.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this is not the device I am looking for :icon_eek:

infinity8x3

Reaction score
I think all these manufacturers pumping out all these random phones is part of the problem not solution. Just look at most popular apps in the market. There is always comments on the app not working for 1 or 2 specific phones. Now devs have a plethora of phones to try to make sure there apps work on. And lets face it, with out apps android is nothing.

I wish 2 things. I wish manufactures and carriers would stop bastardizing android with there own preparatory crap (blur, sense, and that samsung crap) And preloading bloat.

And my newest wish is that they would focus on making kick @$$ phones with quality over quantity. And actually support the phones for a while. All these phones and "skins" are making updating the android OS a circus.

DanielC

Reaction score
I think all these manufacturers pumping out all these random phones is part of the problem not solution. Just look at most popular apps in the market. There is always comments on the app not working for 1 or 2 specific phones. Now devs have a plethora of phones to try to make sure there apps work on. And lets face it, with out apps android is nothing.

I wish 2 things. I wish manufactures and carriers would stop bastardizing android with there own preparatory crap (blur, sense, and that samsung crap) And preloading bloat.

And my newest wish is that they would focus on making kick @$$ phones with quality over quantity. And actually support the phones for a while. All these phones and "skins" are making updating the android OS a circus.

Proprietary* (sorry I had to be a grammar nazi)

HTC has got it right with Sense, and can be disabled if you want. The rest, well they're pretty half-baked.

scrannel

Reaction score
I've looked at a ton of phones (even Nokia N8) and decided on the Defy for two reasons:

1) It has wifi calling. I spend a bunch of time in Europe and according to T-Mo (see below) wifi calls are all billed at US rates.
2) I motorcycle, snowboard, sail, mountain bike... having a tough phone that can also double as a water resistant backup GPS (for the boat) is irresistible.

T-MO on wifi calling:

Wi-Fi calling pioneers
T-Mobile was the first major U.S provider to offer Wi-Fi calling. This unique business solution helps you save money on both domestic and international calling. With a T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling-enabled phone and a Wi-Fi network, you can save money by using less calling plan minutes. You could also save while traveling internationally because calls made over Wi-Fi are rated as originating in the US, regardless of where the caller is located. Wi-Fi calling can also provide coverage in difficult-to-serve areas no mobile provider reaches.

Asperity

Reaction score

But then that would be going against the fundamental "open" nature of Android.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I think whoever wrote that article should be an adventure novelist. Or a used car salesman....