Motorola Declares They Have No Plans to Make Android Tablets

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-no-tablets.jpg

In what will undoubtedly be disappointing news to some, Motorola Mobility's President, Rick Osterloh, recently shared on Twitter that Motorola has no plans to build any Android tablets. He did take a moment to steer us toward Lenovo's offerings, which is unsurprising since that is now Motorola's parent company.

Still, for many who were hoping Motorola would get back in the game to try and do a better job than they did with the XOOM or DROID Xyboard, this is unwelcome news. On the bright side, at least this will allow them to focus on making the best Droid smartphone they can every year!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Makes perfect sense. Can't compete with the people who own you. Lenovo's really pushing their tablets and convertibles.

Also, though they're making great phones, I couldn't really care less that they don't want to mess with tablets. Their track record was intriguing, but not the best. I sold my xoom pretty quick and decided to not even give the Xyboard a try.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I understand where your coming from @Jonny Kansas , but it's not typically the way major organizations think.
They want all they can get no matter how the product is badged. Many won't buy a Lenovo product but will buy a Moto product, and vice versa.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Smart, let's be honest, as far as the tablet market is concerned it is by far the weakest for android. Until Google can come up with a better operating system for tablets vs making it a giant phone then I personally have no use for it. I am better off buying a Chromebook than a tablet especially with more people gravitating toward larger smart phones. Where Google have the phone market locked down Microsoft have the chance of locking down the tablet market. I just would like Google and Microsoft to lift their ban on allowing manufacturers to make hybrids. I believe when they (Google and Microsoft) killed the hybrid market they also killed the tablet market.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The smaller 7-9" tablets would be perfect and wouldn't really compete with the Lenovo products. I'm not sure Lenovo is making anything smaller than 11" since they are focused on convertibles and hybrids.