Motorola Declares They Have No Plans to Make Android Tablets

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 26, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

In what will undoubtedly be disappointing news to some, Motorola Mobility's President, Rick Osterloh, recently shared on Twitter that Motorola has no plans to build any Android tablets. He did take a moment to steer us toward Lenovo's offerings, which is unsurprising since that is now Motorola's parent company.

Still, for many who were hoping Motorola would get back in the game to try and do a better job than they did with the XOOM or DROID Xyboard, this is unwelcome news. On the bright side, at least this will allow them to focus on making the best Droid smartphone they can every year!

2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,396
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Makes perfect sense. Can't compete with the people who own you. Lenovo's really pushing their tablets and convertibles.

Also, though they're making great phones, I couldn't really care less that they don't want to mess with tablets. Their track record was intriguing, but not the best. I sold my xoom pretty quick and decided to not even give the Xyboard a try.

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    I understand where your coming from @Jonny Kansas , but it's not typically the way major organizations think.
    They want all they can get no matter how the product is badged. Many won't buy a Lenovo product but will buy a Moto product, and vice versa.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,904
    Smart, let's be honest, as far as the tablet market is concerned it is by far the weakest for android. Until Google can come up with a better operating system for tablets vs making it a giant phone then I personally have no use for it. I am better off buying a Chromebook than a tablet especially with more people gravitating toward larger smart phones. Where Google have the phone market locked down Microsoft have the chance of locking down the tablet market. I just would like Google and Microsoft to lift their ban on allowing manufacturers to make hybrids. I believe when they (Google and Microsoft) killed the hybrid market they also killed the tablet market.

5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +934
    The smaller 7-9" tablets would be perfect and wouldn't really compete with the Lenovo products. I'm not sure Lenovo is making anything smaller than 11" since they are focused on convertibles and hybrids.

6. cracktech

cracktech New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How ignorant! LENOVO has 7,8 10,11 inch tablet with MTK SoC , i.e integrated GPS, 3G/4/G dual SIM and no bootlock that is why there is a multitude of ROMs here in Asia , you guys just dont know what youre missing in the US of A wheras we in Asia are enjoying this wonderful Lenovo/Asus tablets

7. crispykremess

crispykremess New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I couldn't care less. At least Moto is keen on improving where they excel best

8. cracktech

cracktech New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    And the once giant in US is eaten up by a Cina ( used to be) subcontractor.

9. thunderbolt_nick

thunderbolt_nick Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +724
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    @nickburress2k2
    Meh...would've been cool to see one but I agree with @Jonny Kansas. It makes perfect business sense. Still...we can all dream can we? XOOM 2!!!