Motorola D4 cardock defect/error

kz321

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently got the droid 4 car dock

the standard verizon car charger (with the plug that's universal for all droid phones) does NOT fit into my verizon-sold motorola droid 4 dock in the back. It goes halfway in, then is too long to fit into the tiny slot any more. This makes it so that the power cord keeps detaching from the car dock.

Has anyone else experienced this? Why the hell is this happening?

If viable, the model number on the back of my cardock is: slu50-68301

Thanks for any replies

OP
K

kz321

Reaction score
If anyone can tell me if the motorola car charger (since I didn't get this from verizon) is smaller than the standard droid charging plugs? Maybe its custom, and which is why the droid 4 car dock isn't working well with my verizon car charger?

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

OP
K

kz321

Reaction score
The design might just be very faulty. This should probably be because the charger goes in from the bottom of the car dock and constantly falls out.

Is this normal? If so, should I just tape it?

cron666

Reaction score
have you tried another cable? any of your friends have similar cables?

Benton

Reaction score
I use the Verizon sold car-dock and the Verizon branded car charger, it does not fall out for me. As suggested, try another charger from a friend or you can take the dock to a Verizon store and have them check it out for you.

johenkel

Reaction score
I bought the Motorola car dock after looking at the VZW car dock in the store.
"No, you don't need an extra audio cable. " - "Oh, I never knew you had to buy that extra cable" - "Yes, that's an extra $20"

Geez, I backed out of there. Also, the Motorola comes with a charging adaptor included.
Couldn't wait to get it installed. It works like a charm! I love it!
So far no cable fell out anywhere.

Johenkel

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

wkearney99

Reaction score
I have both, the verizon sold car dock and the moto unit. They're exactly the same dock hardware. The moto ones comes with the car charger, usb/audio cable and a male/make audio cable.

Bit of a shame, really, I hate the clamp as it blocks being able to slide up the screen for the keyboard. I find it helpful to use the keyboard while in the dock (not while driving, of course) for typing addresses in the map app. My old D2 dock worked great for this. Not liking the new one. And since moto apparently isn't using dock detection magnets anymore there won't likely be other docks from third parties. Gee, thanks for nothing moto.

gossipninja

Reaction score
my cardock just came, I noticed the keyboard issue as well, I might try to file down the clamp a bit and see if that gives me enough clearance.

wkearney99

Reaction score
I considered the idea of filing it down, but the clamp doesn't come close enough at the back to make it work. The old style clamped a lot closer to the phone. I have to wonder if they made the change to prevent use of they keyboard while in the car dock...

gossipninja

Reaction score
The usb/audio cable is almost useless as the dock only seems to want to output audio to it when using the MOTO "smart mode" cardock.

TexasSilhouette

Reaction score
Bit of a shame, really, I hate the clamp as it blocks being able to slide up the screen for the keyboard. I find it helpful to use the keyboard while in the dock (not while driving, of course) for typing addresses in the map app.

I slide my display up to expose the keyboard in mine, it squeaks by the clip/clamp. Helps cool that hot battery too.

TexasSilhouette

Reaction score
The usb/audio cable is almost useless as the dock only seems to want to output audio to it when using the MOTO "smart mode" cardock.

You should NOT plug the USB/Audio cable directly into your phone. It should have a tag on the phone end with an image of a phone with a line through it. A computer with a line through it on the other end. It only works via the car dock.

gossipninja

Reaction score
You should NOT plug the USB/Audio cable directly into your phone. It should have a tag on the phone end with an image of a phone with a line through it. A computer with a line through it on the other end. It only works via the car dock.

Correct, I am talking about when it is in the dock and not tripping the "car Mode" which happens every 3rd time or so. I wish Android had a means to select which audio output to use at any given time (usb/speakerdock, BT, headset jack)

johenkel

Reaction score
Well, right after the car to USB Adapter just fell apart, my car dock itself stopped working.
To power it, I got a different 12V to USB Adapter to power it. Then my phone didn't switch into car mode when put into the dock. Also no charging. Bummer !
Now, I can only charge it when I unplug the audio/USB cable and plug it directly into the phone.

That was a waste of money !!

johenkel

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2