Motorola Confirms Via Twitter that Droid RAZR will Have a Locked Bootloader

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, Motorola also made that announcement...but to this day, we have yet to see them do anything about it.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

They always had their out, which was "where the carriers allow". I don't think we'll see any unlocked moto bootloaders

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They always had their out, which was "where the carriers allow". I don't think we'll see any unlocked moto bootloaders

Right and why would they. They still are selling phones with them being locked and they protect their product. Its win/win for them. You want an unlocked device that gets updates when google releases them then buy a nexus. People that motorola is going after are the every day users who dont care about roms. They want a solid phone with apps that allows them to keep up with social networks.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

vonfink13

Reaction score
if i may ask a dumb question...?...with the locked bootloader will i still be able to force an os update instead of waiting for it to come ota..?..on my og droid, the last few updates i did on my own..with some help from some very patient forum members....thanks..

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, Motorola also made that announcement...but to this day, we have yet to see them do anything about it.

As I stated before...The only one I personally read, as to Unlocking bootloader was discussed by HTC...back a few months or so....I'm sure that other companies may have...I just didn't read it...Lol And I only state, what I read, personally..lol But I gotcha! I don't want them to....Because when they do...We will lose warranty by agreeing unless they come up with another way....I like things the way they are...Out of site, and under warranty....Lol However.....I think I may check out the Prime...No cares for Bionic at all or Razor...Of course, I personally haven't held either the Razor, or the Prime..but they are probably going to be the next REAL step forward...(Hoping)....I fix so many devices, that I always get an idea of what's good or bad within a month of release...Lol Glad I waited ...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok.....Lmao....Yes...It was Motorola where I read the bootloader was on thought or consideration.......My bad..had it bookmarked along with HTC...from a minute back...back when I really liked the idea..lol Peace brother!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did anybody think it was gonna be unlocked anyway? Motorola is pretty much the only manufacturer that locks and encrypts bootloaders. Some don't get encryption but all are locked...

Boot Manager

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't begin to describe the hate and anger verizon will receive if they decide to troll and lock the nexus bootloader. I still have faith until I hear otherwise.
Thats the Razr they are talking about. Their is still hope on the nexus!

johnnyb15613

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Im an OG owner since launch, still have it, still activated, still not dead, and I'm still NOT upgrading! Unlocked bootloader or death!
TBH, the way Ive abused this phone, I will probably be dead before it!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
With Google buying Moto, I don't expect the locked bootloader policy to continue long. Although they may keep them locked tight and target the corporate market, which actually is not a bad strategy. I for one could probably use the time saved flashing roms more productively - I mainly only do it to squeeze life out of my D1. I'm not into themes and changing fonts and task bars and all that. ICS with a powerful phone would suit me just fine. Even if I have to wait a few months, I'm cool with a new phone on GB. ICS is pretty slick, but there's nothing in there I saw I have to have that I can't get with a couple of different apps (launchers, Locale, etc...)

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
With Google buying Moto, I don't expect the locked bootloader policy to continue long. Although they may keep them locked tight and target the corporate market, which actually is not a bad strategy. I for one could probably use the time saved flashing roms more productively - I mainly only do it to squeeze life out of my D1. I'm not into themes and changing fonts and task bars and all that. ICS with a powerful phone would suit me just fine. Even if I have to wait a few months, I'm cool with a new phone on GB. ICS is pretty slick, but there's nothing in there I saw I have to have that I can't get with a couple of different apps (launchers, Locale, etc...)

Google buying motorola doesn't mean they control motorola

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Google buying motorola doesn't mean they control motorola

No, it pretty much means exactly that in every sense of the word. How much control they choose to exert remains to be seen, but no successful company invests billions to buy somebody and then wipes their hands clean of making sure their investment pays off.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I disagree with moto not locking bootoaders. Earlier today they said they want enterprise, which means the locked bootloaders. Moto has lots of encrypting experience through the past.... Its really one of the things they do well. I fully expect them to continue the encrypting. Before they broke off from Solutions guess who was one of their biggest clients? The government! yep, Moto and encryption are together til the current gen employees retire. Or until the considerable experience in that field stop going to Mobility. If that makes sense.