Motorola Confirms Via Twitter that Droid RAZR will Have a Locked Bootloader

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
RAZRBootloader2.png
RAZRBootloader.png

Unfortunately, the only thing not so perfect about the new Droid RAZR is that Motorola is sticking to its guns about having a locked Bootloader. Not only that, but they are also "passing the buck", claiming that it was Verizon's decision to lock the bootloader. I suppose that is a bit of a stain on an otherwise unblemished and incredible product. Does this effect your purchasing decision?

Thanks for the tip, jcardona1!

Source: DroidForums.net - jcardona1

shakes268

Reaction score
Interesting as VZW will get the next Nexus device (announced tonight)...which *SHOULD* have an unlocked boot loader.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I don't keep up with the bootloader news, but doesn't verizon have devices (Like the Charge) that have easily unlocked bootloaders?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I don't keep up with the bootloader news, but doesn't verizon have devices (Like the Charge) that have easily unlocked bootloaders?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all of the new wave of Verizon Droid's (obviously not the OG) all have "locked" or "encrypted" bootloaders in some way shape or form. I think it simply comes down to the security put on the various devices by the device's respected manufacturer. I was under the impression that Motorola's security was just leaps and bounds better than the others, thus being the reason for why their devices are so "locked down". I could be wrong though so feel free if someone wants to step in and expand.

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Hopefully locked but not encrypted. And hopefully this doesn't change anything with the Nexus.

clueless77

Reaction score
I know a locked bootloader would be nice, and I'm all for it but it kinda takes the fun out of modding a phone, my opinion of course, still my two choices are Nexus and Razr hands down

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I know a locked bootloader would be nice, and I'm all for it but it kinda takes the fun out of modding a phone, my opinion of course, still my two choices are Nexus and Razr hands down

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

I simply want stock Android. On the DX, D2, etc. blur never seemed to be so dominating in terms of the OS. But after seeing all of the new "pre-installed applications features", I think it has gotten a little out of hand. I want stock android, bloat free. And I have a good feeling and announcement of just that will be happening in only 7.5 hours.

Actually it was Twittered, so that is the source. :)

True dat.

Last edited:

sb1831

Reaction score
Bad news for the Nexus if it is in fact per Verizon. Being realistic with the way they announced the network optimization, and tiered data I will take Moto's side on this for the time being.

azndan2

Reaction score
The only way I would consider this phone would be if the nexus prime sucks. Which it wont. Good job Motorola for continuing to ignore your potential customers.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's not really news anymore when Moto locks the bootloader. It will be news when a device is finally released again without one. I don't expect that to happen anytime soon, regardless of what they said earlier in the year about unlocking bootloaders.

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The Galaxy Nexus will be unlocked. Its a Nexus device so the bootloader will be unlocked. Google oversees the device not Verizon.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
It's not really news anymore when Moto locks the bootloader. It will be news when a device is finally released again without one. I don't expect that to happen anytime soon, regardless of what they said earlier in the year about unlocking bootloaders.

I agree, I don't know why so many people are acting so surprised about the news.