Motorola Comfirms New Droid Keyboard

bluewonder

Reaction score
i know its pure specluation at this point.
but what do you guys think this will be.
a slidly updated droid with a differetn kb somewhere in
february
or a new device round about october?
speculations, schmeculations....

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To be honest, I feel like the only Droid owner on Earth who:

A) Uses the hard keyboard exclusively,
B) Has no problems with it.

Even though, an update makes me jealous, but it depends on what it is exactly.

You are not alone, I use the keyboard 99% of the time. I prefer it over the on screen keyboard

Sweet, just one more reason I am content on returning my phone and waiting 6 months for some more fixes:)
Thought you already left? lol You should at least respond to your Goodbye thread, people think you are BSing

They don't say what the new keyboard will have. I could be as little as making the screen slide up an extra mm or maybe put the D pad on the left side. :icon_eek:

Just because I "left" my Droid phone doesn't mean I can't hang out and comment on this forum:icon_ lala:

Tiller: if you do not have a droid, why would you be interested in what the phone can do. I am not going to go to a crackberry site because i do not have a blackberry so no matter what they say it does not interest me one bit unless I buy a blackberry.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
Tiller: if you do not have a droid, why would you be interested in what the phone can do. I am not going to go to a crackberry site because i do not have a blackberry so no matter what they say it does not interest me one bit unless I buy a blackberry.

He did actually say he'd revisit getting a Droid in 6 months or so. Guess he'll be checking in and we haven't lost him completely.

i know its pure specluation at this point.
but what do you guys think this will be.
a slidly updated droid with a differetn kb somewhere in
february
or a new device round about october?
speculations, schmeculations....

Pretty sure it'll be the Droid 2, or II, or Pro, or whatever. Months away probably.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe they should abandon the "physical" keyboard and become an official Swype OEM. That could be cool. After getting used to Swype I rarely bother to open the physical keyboard anymore unless I have a lot of editing to do. But I do have large hands and the physical keyboard is NOT functional for me.

johnnieeve

Reaction score
If you want a really bad keyboard try and find a 1950's vintage Royal non electric typewritter and start typing! That was my first "Keyboard" as a Junior in High School.

More recently, I used Palm Treo's for 5 years and got quite proficient using its keyboard.

Moving to the Droid physical keyboard has proven to have a learning curve given the flat keys compared to my Treo. However, I am finding the virtual keyboards to be useful. In time I'll adjust to them all. So, I'm satisfied, especially since the Droid is so advanced compared to my Treo.
I think most people realize the generational lifespan for these phones is only around six months or so. As a seasoned citizen I still look forward to what is yet to come with Smartphones in general, and our Droid specifically.

Parafly9

Reaction score
Is they keyboard that bad? I'm coming frmo a BB tour which supposedly has a "stellar" keyboard and the Droid one seems OK to me.

mapexvenus

Reaction score
I can actually do without the keyboard. I find it hard to use and consider it additional baggage attached to my device. I love swipe and prefer this application as my onscreen keyboard.

asmallchild

Reaction score
I might be mildly miffed if the keyboard improvement came next week. There's no reported timetable on this from what I can see though.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
The physical keyboard was originally a turn off and a deal breaker for me because I really wanted one having always had trouble with virtual keyboards. But this one is so easy to use the only time I use the physical keyboard is for games. Glad I gave it a try because I would be missing out on a great phone just because of the physical board.

amyk

Reaction score
i honestly use the keyboard a ton, but... i have 17 year old hands, so its easy for me to use it. i like the keyboard, and its "worth its weight" for me. however, i've been saying since the very beginning, that motorola REALLY should do the same thing that apple did and offer a subsidized price on an upgrade in a year that doesnt affect our contracts, because just like the iphone 1, the droid has some problems.

yeah good luck with that---would be nice tho!!!:icon_ banana:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
i honestly use the keyboard a ton, but... i have 17 year old hands, so its easy for me to use it. i like the keyboard, and its "worth its weight" for me. however, i've been saying since the very beginning, that motorola REALLY should do the same thing that apple did and offer a subsidized price on an upgrade in a year that doesnt affect our contracts, because just like the iphone 1, the droid has some problems.

yeah good luck with that---would be nice tho!!!:icon_ banana:

Yeah, I doubt that will happen but it would be nice. Especially if it comes out within a short time-frame (say a few months) but I doubt that will happen. More than likely the 'fixes' will be a new (2nd generation) device like HTC did with the Tilt for AT&T (which took nearly two years from the release of the original, though I doubt it will take as long).

Aluminum21

Reaction score
I'm really used to the keyboard now, in fact I can type pretty damn fast on it with no problems so this does not bother me

more droids the better so better apps