Motorola CEO calls Bionic "only a product"

jimmypop13

Reaction score
I found this article on Phandroid today:
Motorola CEO Sanjay Jha Talks Global Brand, New Tablets, Ice Cream Sandwich And A Little Bionic As Well

What was particularly interesting was the absence of any talk/hype from the keynote on Moto’s upcoming Droid Bionic release. Although, Sanjay did briefly make mention of the device calling it, “only a product.” that left many scratching their heads. Not sure exactly what he meant, but it sounds to me like Moto either quite frankly didn’t give a damn about the device, or maybe they have bigger and better things planned for the rest of 2011? Strange.

After hearing that, plus Verizon's CEO saying something about how they expect to focus on the iphone 5 to drive sales when it comes out, it sounds to me like the company and the carrier have given up on the Bionic and now it's just another phone to them and no longer the flagship device it was supposed to be.

droidrenegade

Reaction score
I think because of all the negativity on the phone he just whishes it would end. and go away. There aren't to many good things being said.

bigdad63

Reaction score
The Bionic is a good phone just not a great one. It will be a significant step up for anyone like me coming from a d1. The problem is that I want that cutting edge giddiness I felt with the d1and this doesn't have that wow factor. It is basically an X2 with lte and a few other tweeks. Nevertheless, if nothing else pans out by the end of the year, the Bionic will be a nice upgrade. Not my dream phone, but nice. Of course by that time, the Bionic 2 will be impending.

bigdad63

Reaction score
Thats gonna really help them sale a ton of these.

Fortunately for them, most people are not too knowledgeable about the goings on with phones. We are only a few thousand on this forum, but Moto will still sell a ton of these because the average customer will want the latest phone with good bells and whistles and guess what? The Bionic will more than fit the bill.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Maybe Mr. Jha isn't that good with off the cuff questions?
It's not like he's said something odd before.

Covington

Reaction score
Eh, he doesn't believe in his product, but I sure do. He can make the damned product with an unlocked bootloader and the community can do the rest. Well...at least he's not hyping it up to be some kind of beast it isn't.

I knew Verizon never really cared too much about the Droid line up, they just wanted to make up for the lost profits when they rejected the iphone the first time! Now they have the iphones so we'll see less marketing for the Droid line up...
Do you guys think we'll even see commercials for the Bionic?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll still get it, but it's definitely the android communities that hyped it up to the point where anything would fall short haha

It's gonna be a solid phone, and my next one most probably

teg94

Reaction score
Yeah, I think this is people trying to make way too much out of nothing. So what? He called it a product? Quit trying to read between the lines that don't exist. He's a CEO, a business man, not a tech-fanboy.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Ah ok. Someone quoted Mr. CEO wrong then, Phandroid or Droid-Life..oh well. Like it was already said:

I'll still get it, but it's definitely the android communities that hyped it up to the point where anything would fall short haha

Folks...there was never any hype about the Bionic from Motorola or really anyone outside of us on the forums. There are articles about how some company didnt like that the Atrix was called "the worlds most powerful phone." The Atrix was the hype beast..

No one really cares or knows about about the Bionic except us in the forums.

But....I expect a full Droid marketing blitz when it gets closer to launch and after it launches. The Droid X2 and Droid 3 have yet to be in a Droid commercial...expect the Droid marketing onslaught....

EFGantry

Reaction score
^Ah ok. Someone quoted Mr. CEO wrong then, Phandroid or Droid-Life..oh well. Like it was already said:

Folks...there was never any hype about the Bionic from Motorola or really anyone outside of us on the forums. There are articles about how some company didnt like that the Atrix was called "the worlds most powerful phone." The Atrix was the hype beast..

But....I expect a full Droid marketing blitz when it gets closer to launch and after it launches. The Droid X2 and Droid 3 have yet to be in a Droid commercial...expect the Droid marketing onslaught....

haven't you seen those moronic back-to-school commercials with Paul Rodriguez dressed as a cheerleader?! now that's some high-brow marketing. ;) so unfunny...

Covington

Reaction score

Agreed, but they started the hype by announcing it at CES and weren't able to end it once it got out of hand.