1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Motorola = bad camera

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by Stelv, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Stelv

Stelv New Member

I don't think it is possible for Motorola to make a good camera in their phones. I have never had a good camera in any moto. Is HTC or Samsung better?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. onsht1kll

onsht1kll New Member

What's bad about it? Mine is good

3. purpledolphin626

purpledolphin626 New Member

My camera works pretty good too

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  4. Atook

Atook New Member

The camera in my Droid is pretty poor, my friends Galaxy takes great photos.
  5. onsht1kll

onsht1kll New Member

Its usually the lens that makes the difference .. I know LG usually puts good lenses in their higher end phones .. mine still takes pretty good photos regardless

6. Stelv

Stelv New Member

My camera on my d1 takes grainy dark photos even with the flash on...maybe my lens is scratched. It works good when the sun is blaring. My old lg voyager takes better photos! Maybe it will b a lg or htc for my next phone....but its gotta b a droid. Droid4life! Lol.

7. Freezetron

Freezetron New Member

Not impressed with my DX camera either

Sent from my DROIDX
  8. Freezetron

Freezetron New Member

HD movies arn't much better either IMO
  9. trublond

trublond New Member

I have been less then impressed with the camera on the Droid. I had Samsung Omnia and it's camera was far better. I will be getting a new phone and the camera is very important, so I am hoping that there is a Android phone out there that has a respectable camera in it.
  10. Dan_08

Dan_08 New Member

It's not the camera it's the operator. I can take pretty good pictures with my camera. And yes lighting is very important in taking pictures regardless of the camera. Also how steady you hold the camera. low light shots require you to have a very steady hand and a still subject.

Also do you clean your lens before you take photo's? taking a picture through a layer of grease doesn't produce good photos.

This one was taken today by the D1 with over cast:
    Speckled Trout
    [​IMG]

This one was taken in very low light at an indoor gun range:
    [​IMG]

The Pictures are no where near the quality of my DSLR but it can easily compete with most people's point and shoot camera's.
  11. Youminker

Youminker New Member

I have never expect Moto would offer some fantastic cameras. They just always let me down.
  12. flash24

flash24 New Member

My Blackberry 9650 takes better pics than my 5MP Droid Pro.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App
  13. Stelv

Stelv New Member

Don't get me wrong Droids are awesome. I will be sticking with droid for a long time. But it seems like motorola doesn't care about quality cameras.

14. straylight

straylight New Member

I don't mind the quality of the camera, Ive had good luck with that. But the delay of button push to photo is a little long sometimes. So much so I've lost 'the moment'.

Thats always irritating. I think the D1 is good for still photos, not so good for people posing, say, at a party.
  15. Stelv

Stelv New Member

Yes the delay with the button is horrible. I have a shortcut to the camera on my desktop. Motorola = bad photos of people, I agree. Maybe someone at Motorola will read this thread and start producing better cameras in their phones, lol.
  16. Dienasty

Dienasty New Member

I don't like my camera.. something about it is just really bad. The flash turns EVERYTHING white and the final result is WAYY to bright. Sometimes I can manage to get a decent photo, but the iPhones camera is much better. It'll have to do though, cause I don't like taking my SLR everywhere I go.
  17. Buttonball

Buttonball New Member

Recently got a droidx. I sold my lg dare the day before I got the droid. Im kinda bummed i did that because that thing had a great camera. I love the droid but that camera had a really good lens. So whats done is done. Theres no going back. So lets talk settings.

Im on the 3 mp setting since the file sizes are comparable to the dare. The photos come out grainy... almost as if there is a moire pattern visible without zooming in. I have iso set to auto and exposure is at zero. The flash makes things too bright so i dont use it. A lot of times when i press the side button to take a picture it beeps a couple times but does not shoot. I have to press the shutter icon on the screen to get it to shoot.

If I can get it to take pix like the fish and gun pix above id be happy. Its a brand new unit so no lense scratches or dirt. This is where a users manual would really come in handy i guess. Tell me its my settings.

By the way ive tried the higher res settings and same grainy photos.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  18. Stelv

Stelv New Member

I'm am on a droid 1 and all my photos come out grainy unless I am taking a photo outside on a very bright summer day. I think it is the lenses that motorola uses...Idk...other than the camera, droid is awesome though.

19. Atook

Atook New Member

Buttonball, the camera wasn't too important to me when I got the camera, I always figured if I wanted to take pictures, I'd use a camera.

But once I saw the photos from friends i-phones, and the Galaxy, I realized that having a quality camera on my phone would be great, because I always have my phone with me. My Droid photos are not near the quality of Dans. It might be user operator, but I'm pretty proficient with a camera. And besides it's on a phone, it should be point and shoot, maybe turn the flash on and off. Brightly lit landscapes have taken the best droid photos so far. Seems to me more of a sensor issue than a lens issue, the in my photos reminds me of high ISO photos on a digi cam. Anything indoors is awful. I'm surprised that Dan got such good results of the indoor range.

Dan, did you change any settings to take the picture of the guns?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  20. Buttonball

Buttonball New Member

For what its worth, the photos Ive seen from iphone 3 and blackberry were not so great. Sort of what youd expect from a phone cam fron 6 years ago. I too have an slr and a camcorder with a really aweaome carl zeiss lens that can zoom so far that it takes still shots of things you cant see with the human eye. But its those spur of the moment shots.... ive taken like 1600 of them in the two years that i had the dare that I fear will not be very good now. Luckily most of pix I take ARE outdoors so Ill see what comes of it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
Search tags for this page

bad pictures using motorola droid phone