Motorola announces the Z2 Force Edition

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
After getting my Turbo replaced under the Moto cracked screen warranty I thought it would be a good idea get a screen protector on the replacement handset since I'd used up the one freebie. It was a wet applied film type and even though it went on pretty well, I never liked the feel of it. It always seemed kind of tacky and after a couple months I ditched it.

The screens been naked for over year and its still scratch (and crack) free. But if the new Moto's can scratch with just a finger nail? That's just nuts.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
...But if the new Moto's can scratch with just a finger nail? That's just nuts.

What that click bait article forgot to mention was that they were vampire fingernails...they are stronger than regular human fingernails.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I am a bit annoyed by the battery, though. Moto was the battery leader when the Turbo came out. Now, let's make the thinnest phone ever but ... Let's be honest, you're going to to get a battery mod. "Look how many mods we sold! What a success!" Um...yea...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not necessarily annoyed, but am a little baffled by their decision to put in a smaller battery. I get it...that size battery works great with that chip set....yada, yada, yada. I'm sure the phone is great and gets good battery life. But why not keep the larger batteries from last year, with the new chip set and get a full two days of battery life? I'm sure they want to sell their battery Mods, but I think the trend of "thinnest" phone ever needs to end. These super thin phones are getting hard to hold and a bit slippery. I think most people would prefer a slightly thicker phone, with some grip, and larger battery. But maybe not, what do I know?

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a big part of the design is to sell moto-mods. But I also wonder if part of the engineering was set with a goal for an optimized total thickness of phone + battery mod.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I have Turbo Chargers everywhere (Home, Work, Car) so the battery is a minor concern. But I will, of course, get a battery mod for going somewhere like Cedar Point where I will need to get a full day.

ayanav

Banned
Reaction score
The battery is really small when compared to the competition's smartphones (3000 mAh for the Galaxy S8 and 3,300 mAh for the OnePlus 5 and the LG G6). Even the iPhone 7 Plus, which is criticized for having a small battery, has a bigger one with 2,900 mAh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iphone 8 galaxy note 5

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
...but I think the trend of "thinnest" phone ever needs to end. These super thin phones are getting hard to hold and a bit slippery. I think most people would prefer a slightly thicker phone, with some grip, and larger battery.

One of the things I've most liked about my Turbo is being thicker with some weight to it....very comfortable to hold in the hand.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The battery is really small when compared to the competition's smartphones (3000 mAh for the Galaxy S8 and 3,300 mAh for the OnePlus 5 and the LG G6). Even the iPhone 7 Plus, which is criticized for having a small battery, has a bigger one with 2,900 mAh.
This is true...but I'll take a Z2 Force over any of those phones any day of the week. And twice on Sunday.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I do like the new rounded style fingerprint scanner. Nothing wrong with the square scanner on the original Z Series, but the rounded scanner looks nice.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Screen protector for the screen that protects the original screen. How many layers of plastic do you have to go through before you get to the center of the phone?

I carry my z play without screen protector and it hasn't got any scratches on it since I bought it. Gg4 is very scratch proof.
Have I dropped it? About a dozen or so times on concrete, asphalt, wood and ceramic floors. The bumper is all I need.

Problem with screen protectors is that majority of Motorola screens are curved around the edges and hardened glass protectors either leave 2mm unprotected edge or they don't stick around the perimeter. In either case it looks like crap!

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
New phone checklist:
  • Sent email to Armor Suit to inquire if they will make screen protectors.
  • Bought 3 pack of cheap AF screen protectors. Should get me through a week.
  • Bought 4 pack of USB-C cables since I have none.
:D

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
interesting the US version is only getting 4 gigs ram while the different international versions are getting 6. as far as the price drop - samsung needs to pay attention :)

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Moto needs to cut another $200 of the price since you will need battery mod($80) to go with it.
Moto x4 will have superior specs for 1/2 the price. Wtf moto?