Motorola A55 Devour could be next Verizon Droid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
motorola-calgary-bgr-18.jpg

BGR reports today that the Motorola A55 Devour or also known as the Motorola Calgary could be the next Verizon Droid due for a release in early 2010. The Calgary was first introduced almost a year and ago and generated quite the Buzz. Lately rumors of this device have been almost non-existent. We thought this to be a "Mini-Droid" with an optical joystick, QWERTY keyboard, 3.5mm headset jack, GPS, digital magnetometer, Wi-Fi, microSD card slot and a spring-assisted slider. BGR says "The Devour will be the DROID’s little brother and is expected to arrive in early 2010 with Android 2.1, MOTOBLUR and a 3 megapixel camera" This appears to be more of an entry level phone from Motorola designed to compete with the HTC Eris price range.

{Source:Upcoming 2009 handsets from Motorola pose for BGR on their way to Verizon Boy Genius Report}

Silverwing

Reaction score
I like the way this phone looks, although I am frightened by the razer-esque keyboard. I never liked that one very much.

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is another possible pic:

motorola-calgary-small.jpg

tktouch12

Reaction score
So the droid is better? I'm getting a droid on christmas, but if motorola comes with an updated better droid 4 months after the first one, should I wait for this? Or this being the little brother isn't as good?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
@tktouch12: the Calgary is a "mini-droid", smaller screen, slower? (probably), less durable... etc.

the Droid is still the superior model...

now about that HTC Passion/Dragon/Incredible....

austinnadz

Reaction score
It does look kinda sexy, but it's whats under the hood that counts!!

tktouch12

Reaction score
@tktouch12: the Calgary is a "mini-droid", smaller screen, slower? (probably), less durable... etc.

the Droid is still the superior model...

now about that HTC Passion/Dragon/Incredible....

Goood cuz if I have to have the droid 2 years, I don't want it to get beaten in the first month

soyboy

Reaction score
Relax and enjoy what you have.

As for waiting four months. There will be another better phone rumored to come out at that time, are you going to wait another four months, and then another and then another and then another and then another................. just because a more power phone comes out doesn't make what you have obsolete.

jtcampbell

Reaction score
I have the DROID now, and it is the top-of-the line phone. This phone they are showing and talking about would be the "little brother" to the DROID, for it only has a 3mp camera, whereas the DROID has a 5mp. Also, as one stated above, it would be more of an "entry-level" phone, compared to the DROID.

I think you will enjoy the DROID. I just switched to it after having BlackBerries for a while, and I really like this system.

As a Verizon tech told me, "you have to work hard to find things that the DROID CAN'T do." From searching the web at record fast speeds, to scanning barcodes on virtually anything, and getting reviews on books from the barcodes, or information on products and finding where to get them, to taking high-quality pictures with the 5mp camera with dual-LED flash. It can do pretty much anything and everything that any other smartphone can do.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
well the first image makes it look attractive =] but if its not as good as droid then i wont get it ...the only thing that catches my attention is it comes with MOTOBLUR...is it possible to get it on the droid rite now ???

hackthedroid

Reaction score
Love the RAZR keyboard. Looks only 1,000000000000000000000 times better then the junk keyboard on the current Droid. And I'm sure it would work that much better as well.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are already pictures of the "Droid 2.0" phone out. It is impossible to have the newest/best phone for too long, so just got for whatever you enjoy when you can.

LordKastle

Reaction score
HacktheDroid there is a reason why most physical keyboards are on the way out. Because from an aesthetic point of view, they are hideous. They look and feel like buttons that you would find on a child's toy.

The Droid's is sleek and stealth and before anyone goes ahead and makes a remark "Function over Form" or something related, I use the physical keyboard 95% of the time. So while it is possible I may be an advanced, evolved entity from the depths of the Cosmos and that's why I find it very easy to use....or it simply just may not be true

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
as for motoblur on the droid I'd imagine when there is a dump for it we'll see a port for the Droid soon after...