Motorola A55 Devour could be next Verizon Droid

Discussion in 'Android News' started by danDroid, Dec 18, 2009.

1. danDroid

danDroid DF Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

BGR reports today that the Motorola A55 Devour or also known as the Motorola Calgary could be the next Verizon Droid due for a release in early 2010. The Calgary was first introduced almost a year and ago and generated quite the Buzz. Lately rumors of this device have been almost non-existent. We thought this to be a "Mini-Droid" with an optical joystick, QWERTY keyboard, 3.5mm headset jack, GPS, digital magnetometer, Wi-Fi, microSD card slot and a spring-assisted slider. BGR says "The Devour will be the DROID’s little brother and is expected to arrive in early 2010 with Android 2.1, MOTOBLUR and a 3 megapixel camera" This appears to be more of an entry level phone from Motorola designed to compete with the HTC Eris price range.

{Source:Upcoming 2009 handsets from Motorola pose for BGR on their way to Verizon Boy Genius Report}
  2. Silverwing

Silverwing New Member

I like the way this phone looks, although I am frightened by the razer-esque keyboard. I never liked that one very much.
  3. danDroid

danDroid DF Administrator Staff Member

Here is another possible pic:

[​IMG]
  4. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

So the droid is better? I'm getting a droid on christmas, but if motorola comes with an updated better droid 4 months after the first one, should I wait for this? Or this being the little brother isn't as good?
  5. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

@tktouch12: the Calgary is a "mini-droid", smaller screen, slower? (probably), less durable... etc.

the Droid is still the superior model...

now about that HTC Passion/Dragon/Incredible....
  6. austinnadz

austinnadz New Member

It does look kinda sexy, but it's whats under the hood that counts!!
  7. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

Goood cuz if I have to have the droid 2 years, I don't want it to get beaten in the first month
  8. soyboy

soyboy New Member

Relax and enjoy what you have.

As for waiting four months. There will be another better phone rumored to come out at that time, are you going to wait another four months, and then another and then another and then another and then another................. just because a more power phone comes out doesn't make what you have obsolete.
  9. jtcampbell

jtcampbell New Member

I have the DROID now, and it is the top-of-the line phone. This phone they are showing and talking about would be the "little brother" to the DROID, for it only has a 3mp camera, whereas the DROID has a 5mp. Also, as one stated above, it would be more of an "entry-level" phone, compared to the DROID.

I think you will enjoy the DROID. I just switched to it after having BlackBerries for a while, and I really like this system.

As a Verizon tech told me, "you have to work hard to find things that the DROID CAN'T do." From searching the web at record fast speeds, to scanning barcodes on virtually anything, and getting reviews on books from the barcodes, or information on products and finding where to get them, to taking high-quality pictures with the 5mp camera with dual-LED flash. It can do pretty much anything and everything that any other smartphone can do.
  10. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

well the first image makes it look attractive =] but if its not as good as droid then i wont get it ...the only thing that catches my attention is it comes with MOTOBLUR...is it possible to get it on the droid rite now ???
  11. xjman349

xjman349 New Member

I am pretty sure this is LG's prototype.
  12. hackthedroid

hackthedroid New Member

Love the RAZR keyboard. Looks only 1,000000000000000000000 times better then the junk keyboard on the current Droid. And I'm sure it would work that much better as well.
  13. JhankG

JhankG New Member

There are already pictures of the "Droid 2.0" phone out. It is impossible to have the newest/best phone for too long, so just got for whatever you enjoy when you can.
  14. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

HacktheDroid there is a reason why most physical keyboards are on the way out. Because from an aesthetic point of view, they are hideous. They look and feel like buttons that you would find on a child's toy.

The Droid's is sleek and stealth and before anyone goes ahead and makes a remark "Function over Form" or something related, I use the physical keyboard 95% of the time. So while it is possible I may be an advanced, evolved entity from the depths of the Cosmos and that's why I find it very easy to use....or it simply just may not be true
  15. MoeDaddy

MoeDaddy Member

as for motoblur on the droid I'd imagine when there is a dump for it we'll see a port for the Droid soon after...
  16. jtcampbell

jtcampbell New Member

Not sure; although you might be able to. Will have to ask someone else about that one.
  17. Markee

Markee Member

I am happy with my current Droid. It seems well built, even though it could use some needed keyboard spacing improvements. I would not be ready to jump to some "plastic" or "lightweight" or "improved" version. Give the next design change some time and make it worth the wait... Make it smoother and more polished like the iphone...

Even the droid boxes looked "klunky" and cheap... Thankfully the they put the money in the Droid... But they should have included the "Japanese touch... cover everything in a plastic bag and make it out of glossy paper that you love to touch... Just my thoughts.
  18. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Been playing this game for years. In the tech world worrying about what will come along to top your current equipment, whether phones or computers, will assure that you never ever upgrade to new stuff. Buy what you need and learn to use it. Try to avoid an adolescent mindset that embeds your ego in your equipment.
  19. mrdroid

mrdroid New Member

With Motorola's logo?
  20. fezdlc

fezdlc New Member

nah looks a cheap t-mobile side kick!:dry:.. My droid looks 100 times better than that! :motdroidvert: :lifting:
Search tags for this page
a55 droid
android aa55
driod a55

droid a55

droid a55 reviews
droid aink55
moto a55

motorola a55

motorola aa55
motorola android a55

motorola droid a55