MotoDroid Wifi throttled?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by g0bez, May 17, 2010.

1. g0bez

g0bez New Member

I just ran some tests to check out a theory I have been developing..... i can run speedtest on my laptop and get 14Mbit down then when I run it on the droid it smacks 3Mbit right away and then just hovers there. It seriously looks to me like it is being held back, as opposed to a bottleneck on the wifi...

Has anyone else seen this? Is wifi throttled to 3Mbit? Is anyone getting anything faster than 3Mbit?
  2. RickCathey

RickCathey Premium Member Premium Member

You may be on to something as it must be throttled since on my system gets a 26.2 Mbps down and 2.1 Mbps up. My Droid gets 5.26 Mbps down and 1.95 Mbps up. This is using the Speedtest.net web site on my system and the Speedtest.net app on my Droid..
  3. Jeremy556

Jeremy556 New Member

It is the speedtest.net app itself. I had the same concern a few months ago, so I uploaded and downloaded some files from one of my file servers over WLAN and was doing WAY more than speedtest.net reports.
  4. wm408

wm408 New Member

I've seen 6 down on my phone no prob through WiFi. Haven't been able to test anything higher yet. Theres a speedtest server in Kansas that is pretty damn fast if u can find the listing on your speedtest app.
  5. g0bez

g0bez New Member

Interesting theory about the speedtest app being the bottleneck -- definitely worth a go testing it outside of the app.

it isn't even that i really *need* more than 3mbit... for what I do on the phone, that is plenty. More of just an oddity/curiosity...

thanks for the input!
  6. superglen99

superglen99 New Member

I've gotten 7mb down and 2 up at the highest speed
  7. powells85

powells85 New Member

I pegged the needle last night on fios wifi last night and had a reading of 10.2 mbs download.
  8. burkett375

burkett375 New Member

got 8.27Mbit down/1.76Mbit up once. its all tied to the CPU. I've overclocked it at different speeds and seen an increase in wifi each time.
  9. g0bez

g0bez New Member

there is a speed test distributed by the FCC which seems to be giving me much more reasonable results when compared to both the manual downloads *and* compared to speedtest.net on my laptop.

So... via these other tests, I've concluded that speedtest APP is borked and thus removed it from my phone.

.... and really, when it is performing fine, I shouldn't even care what a stupid speedtest says.......