MotoCast the good, the bad , and the ugly

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
The Good

It lets you access all sorts of files on your home PC like media, document, and pictures. The set up was a breeze even though I don't keep my files in the default windows location. If you keep them in the default locations it's ready to go once it's installed on the PC.

The Bad

If you have a large music (83gb) and picture(17gb) collection and you reboot your phone the music and picture app must resync with your PC. This took almost 3 hours via a 3g connection.

The Ugly

3 hours of downloading data has two effects. The first is it killed my battery. The download knocked it from 70% to 20% and had me thinking it not would last the rest of my day. The second is it used 71mb of data. This is not an issue for me as I have an unlimited plan but on a 2gb plan a few restarts a month will put a dent in your data limit.

My final verdict good idea poorly executed. I will use Google music for my music needs and deleted the music file from MotoCast on the PC. I will rarely use the photo option and if I do will force close the app after I get what I need.

On the plus side when I access my movie folder the only data used is while streaming the selected file.

SallyC

Reaction score
Something different with my experience. I have 40 gb music, 70 gb pictures and after a reboot of my computer it took less than a minute to sync via wifi. I had no delay accessing my files from my phone.

Windows 7 64 bit if it helps.

Edit: I meant to add that I also rebooted my phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
brucin

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I have not tried a reboot while connected to my Wifi. I can work with the Google Music app so I've no need to put my music folder back in MotoCast. I will give the picture folder a shot on Wifi and see what the stats are.

SallyC

Reaction score
I have not tried a reboot while connected to my Wifi. I can work with the Google Music app so I've no need to put my music folder back in MotoCast. I will give the picture folder a shot on Wifi and see what the stats are.

Yes I like Google Music too. I do have my music folder part of MotoCast though. Guess it's redundant except for some podcasts. But since sync times haven't been a issue I tend to list a lot of folders just in case I want the file.

Hope the wifi works better for you.

dmisc

Reaction score
Can you send pics from phone to pc with motocast?

SallyC

Reaction score
Can you send pics from phone to pc with motocast?

Using Files you can access any files on folders you've included in MotoCast. Then transfer, view, delete, etc.

Also you can access using Gallery or Music the appropriate files.

Its really very cool.

Raydee35

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up a old thread but if I turn off Motocast on my computer will it stop the syncing to my phone?

SallyC

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up a old thread but if I turn off Motocast on my computer will it stop the syncing to my phone?

I've not done that, but I would think so. Also, you can remove any folders from the Content tab on your computer and there would be nothing to sync.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've not done that, but I would think so. Also, you can remove any folders from the Content tab on your computer and there would be nothing to sync.

Yes my wife turns it off on me all the time. Pc needs to stay on.

----posted maxx'ed out----