Motoblur? Keep it or not?

fracas

Reaction score
Im a new owner of a d2g and this is my first motorola's phone.
I ve read something about motoblur and someone says its not a good UI because its heavy and slow.. is it true? Can I remove it?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Im a new owner of a d2g and this is my first motorola's phone.
I ve read something about motoblur and someone says its not a good UI because its heavy and slow.. is it true? Can I remove it?

The easiest thing to do, assuming you decide you don't like it, is switch to one of the alternate launchers in the market. The most popular ones are Launcher Pro, ADW, Go Launcher, Zeam, etc.

good luck.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Whether it is slow and heavy to use, is for you to decide. I think motoblur is plenty fine as long as you're on 4.5.607/606. It does have a habit of eating up all your memory but that's actually fine, because that's what keeps everything visually smooth.

OP
F

fracas

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.. Is there a specific way to remove Motoblur or i just have to install a new launcher?

Byakushiki

Reaction score
You can install the launcher or try a custom rom, if you're willing to root. Custom roms generally get rid of most of the blur framework, replacing it with mostly AOSP components(stock android).

EOK1335

Reaction score
you dont have to remove the blur launcher if you have another launcher installed. but if you really wanna get rid of it, just go to /system/app and delete the home.apk after rooted.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

silver6054

Reaction score
you dont have to remove the blur launcher if you have another launcher installed. but if you really wanna get rid of it, just go to /system/app and delete the home.apk after rooted.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL
This might prevent you getting future updates. Just rename it, and, if and when a new over the air update is offered, rename it back before installing the update.

leobg

Reaction score
This might prevent you getting future updates. Just rename it, and, if and when a new over the air update is offered, rename it back before installing the update.

... and will cause issues if you factory reset the phone. If you delete home.apk you will either have to SBF or use car/desk stand to go around missing launcher, enable ADB and put it back on. Unnecessary pain IMO. If you install 3rd party launcher MotoBlur home does not load in memory and does not consume resources.
If you switch to different launcher, most Moto widgets will not work. Some people find those useful. Your call.

William_04_x

Reaction score
I really like GO Launcher with unrooted 607. Lot's of options to customize, and it works smooth and fast. The Motorola widgets aren't an available option with GO.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Jonas

Reaction score
Go launcher has been my launcher for a long time, and before that I was very keen on launcher pro. Both are good options, but Go Launcher fits my personal needs better. I would not recommend ever deleting a stock .apk, unless you have a nandroid backup (root required). It can be fixed, but its such a pain, when you can do a simple rename, or freeze if its bloatware. If you need/want screenshots of what I'm running, I can certianly post them for you.

Stefan82

Reaction score
Anyone agree that GO Launcher is like a ROM but in launcher or home app style. Have not seen a close launcher yet.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL (rooted) using DroidForums

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I like the new blur that motorola has come up with. There is a way to update the phone to gb without being rooted.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums