Motoblur Inbox Overview

theabyssdragon

Reaction score
I recently installed AngDroid's Fission Vanilla on my Droid 2 to remove all traces of blur. I was happy with the results, until I realized that my favorite feature was missing. I lost the ability to view all of my inboxes side by side, along with sms/mms messages and facebook messages. Note that what I'm looking for here is NOT a universal inbox, rather, the ability to view how many unread messages I have for each inbox.

After doing some digging, I decided to install Green ROM (Super Clean BS VA Pro) to get some of the motoblur email functionality back. However, this wasn't quite what I wanted either. I've done some searching, and found a few people recommend K9mail, but that's a universal inbox.

So, (a) what are the .apk's I need to get back the functionality I want, or (b) what app on the market will replicate the feature?

Thanks in advance.

iwearhats

Reaction score
I've been wondering this too. I've tried installing different sytem apps to no avail.

iwearhats

Reaction score
try Messaging.apk. I never ran it because of the name and the icon. Seems to be what we want. no to figure out how to get handcent to show up inside it.

--------
scratch that. it only kinda works. the accounts show up (email, messaging, facebook) but when an account (anything except universal inbox) is clicked on it kinda just closes and goes to the home screen.

OP
theabyssdragon

theabyssdragon

Reaction score
I replaced the Mms.apk that I had with the Messaging.apk included in Green Clean Blur and set the permissions. This led me without any messaging at all. Perhaps a missing dependency?

I've restored Mms.apk for the time being.

iwearhats

Reaction score
pretty sure the Mms.apk is the actual messaging app and Messaging.apk is the interface

OP
theabyssdragon

theabyssdragon

Reaction score
Having both Messaging.apk and Mms.apk hasn't broken anything nor has it added any functionality.

OP
theabyssdragon

theabyssdragon

Reaction score
Turns out, you need to set permissions after you move the file. Adding Messaging.apk did indeed restore the unified messaging. Clicking on an email inbox works fine. Clicking on text messages, however, just sends to the home screen.

ILikeWaffles

Reaction score
I had this same dilemma with his older roms. This is what you would normally need...

Messaging.apk for the email portion and Conversations.apk for the text messaging portion (with the pretty bubbles). You would get rid of Mms.apk if you didn't want two messaging icons. Mms.apk seems to be the stock, non bubble text service, and Conversations.apk is the one with bubbles.

Adding just those to Fission does not work. His older roms (2.4.5 super clean pro for example) still had a lot of blur apk's so that's probably why transferring messaging.apk and conversations.apk worked. I tried transferring blur-services.apk, BlurPhone.apk, BlurEmail.apk and BlurEmilEngine.apk into Fission and it still didn't work...must be other that need transferring or...

Maybe the 2.3.20 update won't allow it to work.

BTW...In stock Fission (2.0.1) there is an email icon that you can setup to view multiple email accounts. I have my yahoo, gmail and corporate as separate accounts within the email icon.

OP
theabyssdragon

theabyssdragon

Reaction score
Thanks for that clarification. I haven't had a look at Fission 2.0.1 yet. At the moment I'm running Green Clean Blur for full functionality.

ILikeWaffles

Reaction score
Yeah the one I ran before Fission was the Green Super Clean BS VA Pro. If you're running the Clean with blur then you should have the email setup you desire.