Moto Z Getting Oreo "In a Few Weeks"

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
It finally finished downloading. Now it's installing. I'll let you know if anything is messed up. Hopefully not.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So...the Command Center widget is no longer a command center, now it's just Time & Weather widget, like the Z2 phones. Bummer. No more expanding circles to see battery or change color. It's just plain old white. At least the quick taps to Calendar & Weather are still there. I'm gonna miss changing the color to match my wallpaper, and the quick tap to see Battery stats & Moto Mod battery information.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
That's a bummer, @Sajo I like my command center for those exact reasons....
So...the Command Center widget is no longer a command center, now it's just Time & Weather widget, like the Z2 phones. Bummer. No more expanding circles to see battery or change color. It's just plain old white. At least the quick taps to Calendar & Weather are still there. I'm gonna miss changing the color to match my wallpaper, and the quick tap to see Battery stats & Moto Mod battery information.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's a bummer, @Sajo I like my command center for those exact reasons....

Yep. It adds more clicks and steps to checking the Mod battery life and stats. I just added a Settings ~ Battery shortcut to an empty spot on a home screen. I figured the Z3 would have a simple Time & Temp widget like the Z2, and already set to just accept it. I was hoping they would leave it alone on the Z Force, but....

On a cool note, if you are running Launcher 3 (the stock Launcher) open Settings > and check out the new Icon Shape option. It's nice to see the stock Launcher get some more customized options.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Back on my phone. The ghost screen (as I call it) is different. There is a circle that shows battery level. The settings are different. The split screen is interesting. A little better than before. Can't say yet about battery life. The phone seems as fast as ever maybe a tad bit quicker. I use Nova so I can't comment on the new icons. I did clear the cache partition just in case. I'll let you know more when I know more. Overall no complaints. I like the update.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Back on my phone. The ghost screen (as I call it) is different. There is a circle that shows battery level. The settings are different. The split screen is interesting. A little better than before. Can't say yet about battery life. The phone seems as fast as ever maybe a tad bit quicker. I use Nova so I can't comment on the new icons. I did clear the cache partition just in case. I'll let you know more when I know more. Overall no complaints. I like the update.
Thank you for the update! I'm really on the fence as to whether to pull the trigger, or not.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Yep. It adds more clicks and steps to checking the Mod battery life and stats. I just added a Settings ~ Battery shortcut to an empty spot on a home screen. I figured the Z3 would have a simple Time & Temp widget like the Z2, and already set to just accept it. I was hoping they would leave it alone on the Z Force, but....

On a cool note, if you are running Launcher 3 (the stock Launcher) open Settings > and check out the new Icon Shape option. It's nice to see the stock Launcher get some more customized options.

I check my battery stats frequently -- especially if it seems to be draining quicker than usual. That's kind of a bummer. The Command Center is making me a little sad, as well. I used to use something from Beautiful Widgets waaaaay back, might look into it and see if it's still compatible with the newer phones. It's been years.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I check my battery stats frequently -- especially if it seems to be draining quicker than usual. That's kind of a bummer. The Command Center is making me a little sad, as well. I used to use something from Beautiful Widgets waaaaay back, might look into it and see if it's still compatible with the newer phones. It's been years.
If need be just oprn widgets from the home screen, select Settings > drag it into place > when prompted for which Setting > select Battery. You have a one click shortcut to Battery Settings. The new Battery Settings are way different. Not sure yet if they are more useful or less useful???

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Thank you!
I did install BW just in case. Bracing myself so I've got back up options in place lol.
Now, to wait and hear about battery drain.... Or, lack of.
If need be just oprn widgets from the home screen, select Settings > drag it into place > when prompted for which Setting > select Battery. You have a one click shortcut to Battery Settings. The new Battery Settings are way different. Not sure yet if they are more useful or less useful???

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
They also got rid of the clean cache button. I think now each app had a limit and Android will clear it when space is needed. Don't know if I like that or not.
Edit: You can still clear the cache of each app individually but no more one button for all

Last edited:

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Thank you!
I did install BW just in case. Bracing myself so I've got back up options in place lol.
Now, to wait and hear about battery drain.... Or, lack of.

Let us know what you think of it.

Soccerref12

Reaction score
You should still be able to clear cache in recovery...someone with Oreo should check?
They also got rid of the clean cache button. I think now each app had a limit and Android will clear it when space is needed. Don't know if I like that or not.
Edit: You can still clear the cache of each app individually but no more one button for all

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes, you can from Recovery. The Cached Data section is no longer displayed in Settings > Storage, to clear app cache.