Moto Z Getting Oreo "In a Few Weeks"

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
If you own a Moto Z DROID or Moto Z Force DROID and head into your settings to check for an update, Motorola has left you a sweet little message. It reads, “We’re planning an Android 8.0 Oreo update for your device…” Oh, you don’t say? When, though?

Well, it won’t be for “a few weeks,” the message continues. While that’s not the type of tease that will have you sweating over your “Check for updates” button, at least we know it is coming pretty soon.

Motorola previously confirmed that the Moto Z and Moto Z Force would get Oreo updates, we just weren’t sure when. Not that this is super, duper early, but for a 2016 phone, this doesn’t seem terrible. It’s not like Samsung has updated its Galaxy S7 yet.

I have a Moto Z Play. No message under updates, so I guess no update for Z Play.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's coming for the Z Play eventually also. Moto confirmed that a while back. Apparently the new message is something that Moto started with the Z2 series as OS updates were getting "close". It's hard to say what their definition of close is, but either way I like the new message.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Soccerref12

Reaction score
Hmmm... We'll wait and see...
5f714958761d328288cc18e67b387b27.jpg

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
They probably felt the need to post that message knowing everyone keeps checking for an update

I don't know if that helped or not because I'm checking more often now.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's inevitable, once Moto starts their internal testing someone that was invited will leak it out all over the Inter-Net-Of-Things. Once those leaks starts appearing, it's close to time to start checking every day. Until then, it would be unlikely to hit our phones before they start internal testing.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
It's inevitable, once Moto starts their internal testing someone that was invited will leak it out all over the Inter-Net-Of-Things. Once those leaks starts appearing, it's close to time to start checking every day. Until then, it would be unlikely to hit our phones before they start internal testing.
I know, but maybe -- just maybe, it'll hit in the middle of the night without anyone knowing...
Hey, a girl can dream, can't she... :)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
What' strange is that the new message does not appear on my wife & daughter's Moto Z2 Play phones, only on my Z Force. The Z2 Force has Oreo, but not the Z2 Play. At least not in the US, rumors suggest it might be rolling out in other countries. Their phones just display the standard "Your device is up to date" message. I would think Moto would finish updating the Z2 series before the original Z force, but who knows? Now I'm waiting to see which of our phones receives the update first. I have a Z Force, Z Play and two Z2 Plays on the account, so we shall see. :cool:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If reports on the Moto Forum are true (and I don't see any reason why they are not...just using some caution) the Oreo started rolling out to the Moto Z Play today. Maybe not all countries at once, doesn't appear to be available in the US. Either way, it's a good sign and hopefully means the Moto Z and Moto Z Force will be updated soon. . Has any other manufacturer updated a 2016 phone to Oreo? I don't think so....good job Moto.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
If reports on the Moto Forum are true (and I don't see any reason why they are not...just using some caution) the Oreo started rolling out to the Moto Z Play today. Maybe not all countries at once, doesn't appear to be available in the US. Either way, it's a good sign and hopefully means the Moto Z and Moto Z Force will be updated soon. . Has any other manufacturer updated a 2016 phone to Oreo? I don't think so....good job Moto.

Exciting times!
I'll call my folks who each have Z Plays and have them check theirs.
Thanks @Sajo!

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
As of 12:42 CST, I haven't gotten it on my Moto Z Play.
If I get it, I'll post back.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk