Moto X vs the Droid Mini

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Ok I am currently trying out a Moto X. So far I like it. But it got me thinking. What makes the Moto X any better than the Droid Mini. Pretty much the same specs. When you include the onscreen buttons of the X it gives you around a 4.3" usable scree anywayn with the exception of video playback and games. The only big difference I can see is the Mini is LCD and the X is AMOLED. But the Mini has a pixel density of 342ppi over the X which is 316ppi. Hardware and software are the same.

So outside of the new design, eventual customizing options what in your opinion would justify $599 for the Moto X over the $449 for the Mini. If a smaller phone is what you are looking for.

I will also add that I was originally going to try out an Ultra or Maxx for the bigger screen but Best Buy does not have them in stock yet. But I am finding that I may not mind sticking with a smaller screen since they are much easier to handle one handed. I still may but for the time being I am trying to figure out how to justify the extra $150 if I decide to stay with a smaller phone.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Posted this in the Mini forum but no traffic there so I will post it here too.

Ok I am currently trying out a Moto X. So far I like it. But it got me thinking. What makes the Moto X any better than the Droid Mini. Pretty much the same specs. When you include the onscreen buttons of the X it gives you around a 4.3" usable scree anywayn with the exception of video playback and games. The only big difference I can see is the Mini is LCD and the X is AMOLED. But the Mini has a pixel density of 342ppi over the X which is 316ppi. Hardware and software are the same.

So outside of the new design, eventual customizing options what in your opinion would justify $599 for the Moto X over the $449 for the Mini. If a smaller phone is what you are looking for.

I will also add that I was originally going to try out an Ultra or Maxx for the bigger screen but Best Buy does not have them in stock yet. But I am finding that I may not mind sticking with a smaller screen since they are much easier to handle one handed. I still may but for the time being I am trying to figure out how to justify the extra $150 if I decide to stay with a smaller phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have yet to handle any of these phones, but based on reviews/impressions I think the price is justified by Moto Maker (if you're on AT&T of course) and the form factor of the phone. From what I keep hearing, the X is a "better galaxy nexus" and considering I really enjoyed that phone I would consider the X had I not had the s4 first.

Do you notice a difference in display? I've heard good reviews of both phones in terms of displays, but that comes down to personal preference.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I played with both at the Verizon store a couple of weeks ago. They had the Moto X on display before it was available for purchase. I personally like the Mini better than the X. I like the size and feel better and the price difference. I didn't really compare the screens when I was there, as they were on display about 8 feet apart and the Mini was that much closer to the big windows in the store. I will not be buying either though because of only 16GB memory. If/when Verizon gets the 32GB X then I would consider it. If I didn't care about the memory then I would buy the Mini. By the way, the useful size of the X screen measures as 4.44" as best I could tell.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I have yet to handle any of these phones, but based on reviews/impressions I think the price is justified by Moto Maker (if you're on AT&T of course) and the form factor of the phone. From what I keep hearing, the X is a "better galaxy nexus" and considering I really enjoyed that phone I would consider the X had I not had the s4 first.

Do you notice a difference in display? I've heard good reviews of both phones in terms of displays, but that comes down to personal preference.

No I haven't compared the two. Gonna do it today actually. I didn't even consider the Mini until I picked up the X and then starting thinking about the similarities. I still may end up just going with the Maxx or the Ultra. But for now if I decide to stay with the smaller form factor I am trying to justify the extra $150.

And as far as form factor it does feel much like the G'nex. Which is a phone I loved but loved to hate because of miserable reception.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does the Mini have Active Notifications since it's not AMOLED?

The Mini also has wireless charging built in... though I do think it has a smaller battery than the X.

Other than that, it's all form factor. I didn't realize the Mini was $150 cheaper... that seems, well, really weird.

edit: also, good to see you around G!

Last edited:
OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Does the Mini have Active Notifications since it's not AMOLED?

The Mini also has wireless charging built in... though I do think it has a smaller battery than the X.

Other than that, it's all form factor. I didn't realize the Mini was $150 cheaper... that seems, well, really weird.

edit: also, good to see you around G!

I'm always around. Just a little quiet these days.

And yes all of the new Droids have active notifications. If anything from watching a review on Droid Life the new Droids have a couple of extra software features that the X doesn't.

But all in all if form factor and customizing aren't an issue the mini would be a no brainer. And it is a little smaller too.

Tap'd from my Moto X

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thinking that the Mini would suffer from terrible battery with the LCD active notifications.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Thinking that the Mini would suffer from terrible battery with the LCD active notifications.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Guess you could always turn them off if it became an issue. So far battery life on the X is pretty good with everything turned on and maxed out.

Tap'd from my Moto X

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Well I hate to say it but I played with my X and the Mini side by side and the Mini looks better. Ran several HD videos simultaneously. The Mini is brighter and sharper. The X, when side by side with the Mini, honestly looks a little blurry and nowhere near as bright. So I think if I decide not to go bigger I may save some money and get the Mini.

Tap'd from my Moto X

llsee

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. When I looked at them side by side, my bi-focal wearing eyes could not see any significant difference in screen clarity and readability. Certainly not $100's worth. I opted for the mini, on contract. Because of where I live (Southern New Mexico/far west Texas), Verizon is the only option available if you desire 4G, and since I was a free agent on VZW, I opted to renew my contract with the mini. Oh, and the mini offers wireless charging, the X doesn't.

NOVICE

Reaction score
The Moto X may well be a great phone.

But with the GS4, IPhone 5S, HTC One and, particularly, the Note 3 "great" is not "superior".

So cut the price and then we'll talk.