Moto X: The Phone I’ve Been Waiting For

AndroidDissected

Authorized Affiliate
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.androiddissected.com

Exactly one week ago, I wrote an article on my first day with the Motorola Moto X. It was an exciting day since I’ve wanted the phone since release but was gathering the money together for the device. In this past week, I’ve used this phone as my primary replacement of my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. While I initially missed the large screen, I can say that I really don’t miss the added size of the device. The battery life is exactly what I wanted, and the device just doesn’t slow down when you throw multiple apps into the mix. I’m not a big mobile gamer, so I won’t have tested any of those types of apps, but all of your productivity and entertainment types of apps I’ve tested. Let’s start by talking about my usage of the device, and a run through of an average day.

(Continue Reading @ Android Dissected)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just picked up the Moto X for the wife after the $100 price drop at Best Buy.

I have to publicly apologize for all the grief I gave that phone during its launch. Truthfully, it doesn't live up to the hype that Motorola and Google generated as they worked on it, but after I set aside all my prior expectations and prejudices -- and basically judged the phone on its own merits, rather than the fancy picture I had in my head -- I've come to the conclusion that it's a damn fine phone.

At the moment, I'm pretty happy that I have the One and my wife owns the X. But I'll easily admit the X is pretty awesome.

-Matt

Last edited:

diesel97

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
moto x 2013
Glad you like the moto x
Its all the phone I need (right now)
It takes a big person to eat Crow LOL

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Glad you like the moto x
Its all the phone I need (right now)
It takes a big person to eat Crow LOL

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4
I feel silly but...

...I really like the "twist 2 times for camera" gesture...and...the always-on voice control...and that pulsating notification-while-sleeping screen. Wonder if/how I can get all that on the One.

-Matt

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I feel silly but...

...I really like the "twist 2 times for camera" gesture...and...the always-on voice control...and that pulsating notification-while-sleeping screen. Wonder if/how I can get all that on the One.

-Matt
Not sure you'll be able to get everything, but some of the guys on XDA ported Google Now for multiple platforms back when it was a rare feature to have so I wouldn't be surprised if those features become flash-ready zips soon.

jamjr74

Reaction score
Dynamic notification app works well for the active notifications.

Galaxy S4!!! now Free

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Had about a week with the phone.... and (forget the "spec wars") the phone is awesome...

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Had about a week with the phone.... and (forget the "spec wars") the phone is awesome...
Another impression I forgot to add (and I also saw this in several reviews): for some unknown reason, Googorola also seriously undersold this phone. They should have taken a "naive-user" marketing tact, and produced a series of clean, short, crisp commercials that illustrated all the sweet programming under the hood. They would have needed to pour several million $$$ into the campaign, and pound the airwaves, billboards, and radio stations, but it would not have been hype -- the phone can back up and deliver a lot of useful features.

I'm pretty disappointed. It had no oomph on the Verizon showroom -- the sales staff really didn't know it. I live in a small market, but never saw an internet or TV ads. It got lost in the commotion with the Droids, the G2, the Note 3, etc. It's an "average" phone by most obvious measures, and yet I think it's also the best. Damn shame.

The only logical explanation I can conjure -- if the underselling was somehow deliberate -- is: this was the very last bit of device in the "old" Motorola pipeline, and the next beast will REALLY be a Google creation. But given everything that's happened so far this year I know it's a pipe dream. Oddly, in many ways, I'd say the next REAL Google creation is the N5. It's like Google's left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing.

-Matt

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Must be the market. I see 2 or 3 Moto X commercials daily.

But you're right.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
"the only logical explanation I can conjure -- if the underselling was somehow deliberate -- is: this was the very last bit of device in the "old" Motorola pipeline, and the next beast will REALLY be a Google creation. But given everything that's happened so far this year I know it's a pipe dream. Oddly, in many ways, I'd say the next REAL Google creation is the N5. It's like Google's left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing." - Matt

The Nexus 5 has the internals of a G2 (without the G2's awesome camera and having a smaller 2300mAh battery). Once you flash a custom recovery on, it won't be long before you see Kit Kat after the N5 is released (if not before). Since they are both from LG and sharing common hardware, it won't be hard to build the latest version of Android for it. Since Verizon won't see the N5 (and is they do it'll be this time next year), this is the closest as anyone will get to the latest Nexus (and you'll have better battery life).

I guess I'm saying, we already know what to expect from the Nexus 5 as we've been privy to the all the specs and such from FCC filings and Nexus 5's spotted in the wild. What we don't know are all the updates/differences that Kit Kat will bring except for the few speculations we can make from the leaked photos. Normally I'd be all over on switching to T-Mobile and grabbing one at launch. If I didn't already own a G2 off contract on a promotional unlimited plan that is. It's nice having the option to switch over though and sell my G2 AND VZW plan though.

I have to agree that the Moto X is underestimated. People do a quick look at the specs and see a Snapdragon 600 and ask "Why would I want to buy last year's technology?". You need to read behind the scenes before you realize that there is are several other dedicated processors in there (same deal with all the new DROID phones). That's why it's so smooth considering the "low" specs that it has. Clock speeds aren't always the measure of a good phone. The Moto X is like an Android iPhone. It's a great phone for everybody. I could argue against their choice of AMOLED displays as usual but won't.

With that said, the G2 absolutely smashes the DROID lineup and the X. Same can be said of the Nexus 5 (though I worry about battery life) and Note III.

Edits:

- I live in Virginia, and had seen a Moto X commercial at least a few times a day and I don't watch much TV AND try to avoid commercials like the plague. The ones that I saw all revolved around touching your phone as little as possible and also highlighted the Active Notifications and persistent voice listening. They've died down though. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen any G2 commercials or Samsung commercials recently.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Since Verizon won't see the N5 (and is they do it'll be this time next year), this is the closest as anyone will get to the latest Nexus (and you'll have better battery life).
Funny you should say that. Let's pretend for a moment that a Verizon variant of the N5 appears on the Play store in 2 weeks...I'm struggling to remember the last time that happened, AND the Nexus device:

- was updated on Google's schedule, and
- worked perfectly on Verizon's network, and
- had the same features as the siblings on the other networks

I *think* the closest we get to that fairy-tale IIRC is the Galaxy Nexus, but then shortly after launch Google gave up on supporting CDMA (or so they said).

In other words: I don't think there's a single example of a Nexus phone that actually launched and worked as intended on Verizon. How stupid is that.

-Matt

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
Funny you should say that. Let's pretend for a moment that a Verizon variant of the N5 appears on the Play store in 2 weeks...I'm struggling to remember the last time that happened, AND the Nexus device:

- was updated on Google's schedule, and
- worked perfectly on Verizon's network, and
- had the same features as the siblings on the other networks

I *think* the closest we get to that fairy-tale IIRC is the Galaxy Nexus, but then shortly after launch Google gave up on supporting CDMA (or so they said).

In other words: I don't think there's a single example of a Nexus phone that actually launched and worked as intended on Verizon. How stupid is that.

-Matt

I got to agree with you. The Galaxy Nexus was even pushing it. I meant to imply to anyone holding out to see if VZW gets the N5 is no, they aren't. Either switch to another carrier or grab a G2. Verizon + Nexus = (as you said) "Fairy Tale".

Edit:

Even after VZW moves entirely to VoLTE and CDMA is a relic of the past, I still have doubts. To be completely honest though, the Galaxy Nexus (even as cool as it was when switching from an OG DROID) and Nexus 4 didn't impress me in the long run as I had hoped. The N5 will step up though (comparing it to the G2) but I can't wrap my head around the choice to make the phone even thinner as opposed to a 3000mAh battery.

Last edited: