Moto X Pure charging port issues

Dolly

Reaction score
I purchased my Moto X Pure in September 2016, and have been very happy with it. Recently however, I'm having trouble with the turbo charger that came with the phone. The charger doesn't work unless the cord is held in a certain position. In researching this I'm seeing this is a rather common issue. I hate to have to send my phone in for repair. Has anyone else had this problem and had a repair made? I'm afraid I won't get my same phone back, and mine is customized. Thanks.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
An alternative could be to try and take it into a phone repair shop and see what they can do. Since it seems hardware related, they could just replace the port itself, however, Motorola/Lenovo would have stock of that part whereas an independent cell repair shop may not.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If you just purchased it in September, and it's customized through Moto Maker you should be covered under the original 12 month warranty. I had to have my wife's Turbo 2 replaced for the same issue and it was a simple, painless process. Have you contacted Moto Customer Support to start a warranty claim?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I purchased my Moto X Pure in September 2016, and have been very happy with it. Recently however, I'm having trouble with the turbo charger that came with the phone. The charger doesn't work unless the cord is held in a certain position. In researching this I'm seeing this is a rather common issue. I hate to have to send my phone in for repair. Has anyone else had this problem and had a repair made? I'm afraid I won't get my same phone back, and mine is customized. Thanks.

Moto offers 2 repair options from their request a repair website:

1.) Send in your phone to them, they repair it and return it to you. I don't believe there are any charges or fees for this if you are within your warranty and the damage is not abuse or water damage.

2.) Request an Advanced Exchange repair. With this option they send you a replacement phone first, with all of the same Moto Maker options as your current phone; with a box to return the defective phone. Since they going out on a limb and risk losing money by sending you a new phone first, they do require a credit card number and will put a hold on your card until the defective phone is returned. They also charge a $25 fee for the Advanced Exchange shipment. Some folks complain about the fee and hold on a card, but to me it's a nominal fee if you want an exact replacement phone on your doorstep within 4 days. Then all you have to do is mail your defective phone back in the provided box. This option is a choice and not mandatory, you can always send your phone to them first.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
For the last several months, I've been having trouble with the charging port of my Moto XPE. Having issues getting the phone to charge unless I moved the charging cord until charging contact could be made. It had gotten so bad, that I was lucky if I could get it to charge at all. Being out of warranty, I looked around locally to see if I could find a decent repair shop. Two of the three I checked on said they could do it. One said that since it required a de-solder/solder job, it would have to be sent out which could be a 5 day turn around time. Another place said that the manager could possibly do it in-house, but depending on how busy they were, it may also get sent out. I took a stab at option #2 (iCare Repair) but readied myself that I might be without my phone for a few days. This meant digging my 2013 Moto X out of the sock drawer, revive and update. iCare didn't have the charging port on hand so I had to pay for it up front and wait for it to come in. 5 days later it was in, so I installed my SIM card in my old phone and removed my 64GB SDcard from the Moto XPE. The manager said he could do it right there and it would be about 90 minutes. Very happy news for me. Walked around the mall for about an hour and saw that the manager was no longer in the back of the store. Said it was ready but couldn't test it due to the PIN. He popped out the SIM from the old Moto X and placed it into the 2015. Fired up. Everything worked and proof of charging! The repair is even Lifetime for the life of the phone as long as it's serviced there. Worth every penny of the $64 I spent. If you need something fixed and an iCare Repair www.icarerepair.com/ is around, I highly recommend them.