Moto X or Droid Turbo?

npro1464

Reaction score
The fat/not-so-fat thing is extremely subjective. For so long the emphasis has been thinner, thinner, thinner - which I never totally understood. Now we've gotten to "oops, it bends".

On the other hand, we've recently been hearing more from the "I wish it had a better battery. I wouldn't mind a bit more heft for longer life" side. I agree with the latter. It may not be Razr thin, but to me it is not even close to being "fat". The curved back means it looks a bit hefty when measured from its thickest point, but the curve gives it a great feel. To me.

Isn't it awesome we get so many choices? My personal choice is all day, every day peace of mind over thinner and lighter.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

I agree. The iPhone was a major screw up by Apple. If you go on Macrumors, you'll find dozens of threads about people bending their phones that were kept in a case the whole time and never put in their back pockets. Most of the time, these users had to pay $80-300 for a replacement from Apple, for another iPhone that might bend again. The bending is real (for BOTH models), and the defect will only come more transparent with time.

However, on the other side of the spectrum is the Turbo. I found it hefty in girth and in weight, and very similar in feel to my old Thunderbolt (which is not a good thing). The Maxx right next to it did not feel that heavy or bulky. I think by pushing the specs and pixels, Motorola and Verizon made a power hungry phone and had to compensate by putting an even bigger battery in it. Supposedly the X has horrendous battery life, which is also concerning. There has to be a balance between focusing on looks/feel and functionality.

Just my opinion, from the short time I spent playing with it. Perhaps the Thunderbolt bulging out of my pocket for 2 years has got me overly cognizant of girth and weight. Everyone's different!

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Anyone remember the Bionic with the extended battery??? That was a fatty. But so easy to hold.

krnmc

Reaction score
I had the motto x customized but I returned it and got the turbo. The turbo feels better in my hands compared to the x idk why.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I was still on the Bionic until I purchased the Droid Turbo. The thickness seems great, any thinner I dont think I could hold on to it.

I have a Droid Maxx that I picked up on a dumb phone line just before Verizon said you couldn't transfer a smart phone off the dumb line and cancel the data package. I haven't used the Maxx waiting for the Turbo to see it's actual size. Going to sell the Maxx as the Turbo is basically the same except better hardware.
Been using the Turbo for a day now and so much better than the Bionic.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Moto x shouldn't even exist on Verizon. Nobody in their right mind would buy it when they have a choice between droid turbo, nexus 6 or Sony xperia z3v for the same price.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Moto x shouldn't even exist on Verizon. Nobody in their right mind would buy it when they have a choice between droid turbo, nexus 6 or Sony xperia z3v for the same price.
Those who don't like the droid capacitive buttons and feel the nexus 6 is too large may buy the moto x.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
But then there are those Moto features that so many are fond of that Sony doesn't have, so there's that.
As I've mentioned before....imagine only having one device to choose from with the iPhone. Ugh! That's not a world I want to live in. LOL

S5 tap'n

bcltoys

Reaction score
My son has a Moto X 2014 I have the Moto X 2013 I have played with the Turbo, don't even care about the Nexus 6 but I'm leaning towards the 2014 X but that's me. Droid has a little more bloat could care less about turbo charging and I plug my phone in every night anyway and the 2014 X is plenty fast. I live in a signal challenged area and know for a fact the 2013 and the 2014 X's work at my location.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm actually debating getting the Moto X1...it's the perfect size phone. Got 14 days to return the Turbo. It's a great phone, just wish it was smaller.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
My son has a Moto X 2014 I have the Moto X 2013 I have played with the Turbo, don't even care about the Nexus 6 but I'm leaning towards the 2014 X but that's me. Droid has a little more bloat could care less about turbo charging and I plug my phone in every night anyway and the 2014 X is plenty fast. I live in a signal challenged area and know for a fact the 2013 and the 2014 X's work at my location.

The turbo charger is still compatible and works the same with the 2014 Moto X it just doesn't come with the X out of the box. You just have to buy it separately. I like having the standard charger that came with it and the turbo charger for when I need it.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I'm actually debating getting the Moto X1...it's the perfect size phone. Got 14 days to return the Turbo. It's a great phone, just wish it was smaller.

I've still got my Moto X (first generation) and I do like the size, but I feel that 5.2" is a good medium. That's why I love my 2014 Moto X. I'm just trying to find out if I can tolerate the size of the nexus 6. I'm not thinking so, so I'll probably just stick with my moto x with the turbo charger.

The moto x 2014 fits my needs more than either the droid turbo or the nexus 6 and that says a lot considering I got my bamboo-backed 2014 moto x brand new for $390 cash off contract.

Having choice is what is most awesome.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Those who don't like the droid capacitive buttons and feel the nexus 6 is too large may buy the moto x.

Only reason other than customization of the X, IMHO.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

And another perspective that warrants consideration. This is all about performance with less bloat and no concern for Turbo Charging. Makes sense to me. As for signal, MOTOROLA is KING.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

I thought the Turbo and 2014 X were essentially the same size???

Nevermind, just was informed the post was regarding the X1 (first generation Moto X).

Last edited: