Moto X Launching August 23rd on All Carriers; MotoMaker AT&T Exclusive Until November

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motoxpressleak-back-w-b.jpg

We have some "rumint" for you guys this morning regarding the Moto X. First up, according to a tipped marketing interview between Motorola and AdAge, the Moto X will not only be coming to Verizon on August 23rd, it will also be available on all of the major U.S. carriers on that same date. The same source of intel also shared that the Moto Maker exclusivity for AT&T will continue until November of this year. The Moto Maker customization program was confirmed to be coming to Verizon next, but there is still no word on whether/when it will come to Sprint and T-Mobile.

We will keep you posted if we find out more.

Source: AndroidAuthority

TatDroid

Reaction score
It's very curious that a manufacturer would announce that their phone has a killer new feature that other phones don't have - customization - and then make it available on only 1 of the big 3 carriers. And NOT the largest one. I just don't get that marketing plan.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I just don't get that marketing plan.

AT&T is paying them for exclusivity, #1. Second, they might not be able to handle the volume initially (or might be unsure of the demand).

Also, the Droid Maxx is exclusive to VZW, and that's basically a bigger, slightly better specced X.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
It's very curious that a manufacturer would announce that their phone has a killer new feature that other phones don't have - customization - and then make it available on only 1 of the big 3 carriers. And NOT the largest one. I just don't get that marketing plan.
That is a great observation that has been "bothering" me as well. The only conclusion I can come up with is that Moto decided to give the highest bidder exclusivity so that they could fine-tune and master the entire ordering/building/shipping process before moving to a full roll-out of MotoMaker to other carriers. A poor launch (delays, messed up orders, can't keep up with demand etc) would have rendered the handset DOA. They NEED this launch to go butter smooth.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
That is a great observation that has been "bothering" me as well. The only conclusion I can come up with is that Moto decided to give the highest bidder exclusivity so that they could fine-tune and master the entire ordering/building/shipping process before moving to a full roll-out of MotoMaker to other carriers. A poor launch (delays, messed up orders, can't keep up with demand etc) would have rendered the handset DOA. They NEED this launch to go butter smooth.

+10000000 exactly....

N2 tap'd HD

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Doesn't mean I like it any more haha.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Highest bidder plus i am thinking since vzw will be launching their droid line then they would rather wait before allowing the moto maker give more time in between to sell the Droids.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
and this is why phones need to come with rf360 chip. to kill carrier exclusivity. i can't stand this available here and not there and vice versa, only in america!