Moto X 3rd-Gen Details Possibly Leaked [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-x-2015-specs-leak.jpg

Take notice Motorola fans! Some new intel on the 3rd generation of the Moto X may have just been revealed. The source is completely uncorroborated, so it may be nothing. Still, you know how this goes... it's better to share it even if it's wrong then to ignore it and it turns out to be right.

Here's the scoop on the Moto X (2015):
  • 5.2-inch AMOLED display with QHD resolution
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 processor
  • 4GB of RAM
  • 32/64GB of memory
  • 16-megapixel Clear Pixel camera
  • 5-megapixel front-facing camera
  • 3,280 mAh battery
  • Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
If this spec-list is accurate, then it seems to be further evidence that smartphone OEMs have mostly abandoned the Snapdragon 810 from Qualcomm. It seems that even the potential for heat related issues is enough to ward off manufacturers (probably for good reason).

Current intel pegs the launch of the Moto X (2015 Edition) sometime between August and September. We will keep an eye out for more info until then.

We just created our Moto X 2015 Edition section for you folks right here: Moto X 2015 Edition Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: STJS

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not a bad device. Seems like we've hit a bit of a wall as far as performance increases in the last few generations of phones. Sure, some OEMs take small steps. Ridiculously HD screens, more RAM. But it seems like we had bigger jumps back in the day.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
If those spec hold true, it looks like a great phone. They made a huge jump in battery, from 2300 mAh to 3280. That's getting up where it should give you a very solid full day to maybe even two days on a charge. That's Droid Maxx and Turbo territory for battery power.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here's to hoping those are accurate. The screen is a good size, though ideally I'd like a 5.5", but good sized battery and hopefully a better camera should make this hard to pass up (assuming all is correct).

on the move..

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
If those specs are true then this looks like the replacement for my gen 1 X when my contract is up. A 5.2” screen is a nice size without being too huge. I want a phone to carry around not a tablet. I get a solid day out of my X now but with that battery I might get 2 days if need be.

bucho602

Reaction score
Sign me up for the football leather. I wanted it so bad, but I want powerhouse specs to go with it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I keep hoping for a smaller phone in the 4.7-5" range. Who in the heck decided 5.2" is the phone size everyone wants that doesn't want a phablet? I mean, it's the same size as the Turbo - why have two models the same size?

4gigs of ram is nice. Assume it won't have an SD card, which is unfortunate.

Anyway, love call clarity and speakerphone on my Turbo. Moto was definitely the way to go. Although in my apartment I get 3G speeds down, and literally almost nothing up (fortunately I have wifi).

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
This looks like an Upgraded Droid Turbo with a Smaller Battery!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Wonder how thick of a device it will be with that boost in battery life. I have yet to see or hold a Turbo, but I imagine it'd be around that thickness, probably slightly less.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I'm still hoping for a 4" to 4.5" phone with a maxx battery. The original moto x (2013) would have been great with a 3500mah battery. I agree with kodiak, who decided 5.2" was the the non-phablet size for a phone. Why don't they make a 4.5" moto x for non-phablet users and a 5.5" for phablet users, all with the same specs. This strategy makes more sense than Moto making the Ultra and the Maxx, same phone different battery. Make it the same phone with a different screen.

Phones don't fit in pockets anymore and if you want a top tier phone, you have to have a 5"+ phone.

I love the quote in the below video about iphones being made for hipsters, but they aren't compatible with hipster jeans. This is a true statement for most phones and most pants.

I don't want the phone to just fit in my pocket when I'm standing, but when I'm sitting, crouching, driving, biking, living...

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Because more people want a large phone. I prefer watching videos and what not on something larger that 5". You're only going to worry about something not fitting in your pocket at 6+". And even still, people are doing just fine with the Nexus 6.

on the move..

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I would completely disagree, my opinion.

I believe the statistics for people moving to larger phones is flawed. All top tier phones have been 5"+ for the past 2 years resulting in people who want a top tier phone to buy a 5"+ phone. If the manufacturers would release a true mini version with the same specs, then I would believe the numbers, but they do not.

The majority of the people I interact with don't like how phones are growing in size. A lot of my friends still have a Droid Razr M, Droid Mini, Moto X (2013), iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, and refuse to upgrade to a newer phone because all new top tier phones are 5"+. The ones who have bigger phones do so for the bigger battery (Droid Razr Maxx, Droid Maxx) like me, or a removable battery (Galaxy S4). I do have some friends who have a Nexus 6 or a Note, but their lifestyle allows for that phone. Different lifestyles demand a different phone. In my lifestyle, I prefer a smaller phone with a big battery.

When you look at the perspective of a 4", 5", 6" phone for media consumption compared to a TV, a 4" phone at arms length is like watching TV on a 40" TV in a standard 15' living room. Most people hold their phones at half arms length so the display is more like a 55"+ TV. It comes down to perception and perspective of a phone screen. I have been reading books and watching movies on my phones since my Palm Pre+ (3") with little complaints. Once I moved to my Droid Bionic I had zero complaints about the movie being too small.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And to counter your point, most people I know, especially those who were so fond of smaller screens now would never go back to a smaller screen after upping the real estate. My question is, have they ever given a larger screen a chance? And by that I mean spend a week or two with one. I've said before, manufacturers wouldn't make larger devices if they weren't popular. The Note line is one of the most successful series of devices in a while. I'm not disagreeing with you that different lifestyles should require different sizes, but it's apparent that they're doing well. I will say that the Nexus 6 is definitely pushing the envelope, but again, people buy it.

The same reason people like large screens on TVs, you don't hear many people saying I prefer a 40" TV over a 60", obviously the room size is plays a factor there. When I want to watch media, my 5.2" screen is almost too small for my taste.

on the move..

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
All that being said, I respect your opinion, and it's good there's something for almost everyone. At least the Xperia has a compact version that seems pretty well stacked on specs.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've had the Turbo since October...I do not like the size - it's too large for comfortable one-hand use without performing complex juggling and balancing acts. My Rezound was the perfect size, and with smaller bezels that display could be bumped close to 5".

I don't want to watch videos on a small screen, either....that's why I have a 55" tv, or a laptop and tablet. LMAO at whining about watching a video on a 5.2" screen vs. 4.7" screen - 20% bigger but still tiny.

There is definitely a market for smaller phones. Maybe it's only 20% of the market, but it's significant. But as mentioned, if you want a top-tier phone you've not had options under 5.1". The original Moto X, which didn't quite have top-tier specs, was 4.7" and sold quite well. Then Moto inexplicably bumped it to 5.2" and tried to sell it alongside the more powerful 5.2" Turbo.