Moto X 2016 Rumors Suggest Modular Design and 6 Magnetic Attachments [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-x-2016-modular.jpg

This is a follow-up rumor to the leaked images we shared earlier. Supposedly, the next generation Moto X (2016 Model) will include a modular design. This modular design will reportedly include 6 magnetic attachments which do different things. Hmmm... doesn't that sound suspiciously similar to the new LG G5 device (minus the magnetic feature).

The image above shows a strange set of gold-colored speaker holes at the bottom rear, but it turns out those are not speaker holes, they are the contact points for these magnetic attachments, and they will be called "Amps." These Amps will include: stereo speakers, a battery pack, a camera grip with flash and optical zoom, a pico projector and a rugged cover with wide angle lens attachment.

Evan Blass (aka @evleaks) is the leaker of this intel. he indicated that there will be two different versions of the Moto X for 2016. One will be called the Moto X Vector Thin and the other is the Moto X Vertex.

We even have some leaked specs to go along with this new intel:

Vector Thin - higher end model akin to the Moto X Style
  • 5.5-inch Quad HD AMOLED display
  • Snapdragon 820 processor
  • 32GB internal storage
  • 3GB/4GB of RAM
  • 13MP camera with OIS
  • 2,600mAh battery
  • Profile only 5.2mm thick
The Vertex - mid-range replacement of Moto X Play
  • 5.5-inch 1080p AMOLED display
  • Snapdragon 625 processor
  • 16GB of storage (or 32GB upgrade)
  • 2GB RAM (or 3GB upgrade with the 32GB storage model)
  • 16MP camera with laser/phase detection auto-focus
  • 3,500mAh battery
  • 7mm thick
Eagle-eyed observers will see that the phone shows off an August 24th date, but that may be a hint at nothing, nor were any other details provided. What do you folks think? Could Motorola beat LG at their own game, or maybe this was Motorola's long-term Moto Maker customization plan to begin with, and LG simply beat them to the punch?

Source: VentureBeat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
moto-x-2016-modular.jpg

This is a follow-up rumor to the leaked images we shared earlier. Supposedly, the next generation Moto X (2016 Model) will include a modular design. This modular design will reportedly include 6 magnetic attachments which do different things. Hmmm... doesn't that sound suspiciously similar to the new LG G5 device (minus the magnetic feature).

The image above shows a strange set of gold-colored speaker holes at the bottom rear, but it turns out those are not speaker holes, they are the contact points for these magnetic attachments, and they will be called "Amps." These Amps will include: stereo speakers, a battery pack, a camera grip with flash and optical zoom, a pico projector and a rugged cover with wide angle lens attachment.

Evan Blass (aka @evleaks) is the leaker of this intel. he indicated that there will be two different versions of the Moto X for 2016. One will be called the Moto X Vector Thin and the other is the Moto X Vertex.

We even have some leaked specs to go along with this new intel:

Vector Thin - higher end model akin to the Moto X Style
  • 5.5-inch Quad HD AMOLED display
  • Snapdragon 820 processor
  • 32GB internal storage
  • 3GB/4GB of RAM
  • 13MP camera with OIS
  • 2,600mAh battery
  • Profile only 5.2mm thick
The Vertex - mid-range replacement of Moto X Play
  • 5.5-inch 1080p AMOLED display
  • Snapdragon 625 processor
  • 16GB of storage (or 32GB upgrade)
  • 2GB RAM (or 3GB upgrade with the 32GB storage model)
  • 16MP camera with laser/phase detection auto-focus
  • 3,500mAh battery
  • 7mm thick
Eagle-eyed observers will see that the phone shows off an August 24th date, but that may be a hint at nothing, nor were any other details provided. What do you folks think? Could Motorola beat LG at their own game, or maybe this was Motorola's long-term Moto Maker customization plan to begin with, and LG simply beat them to the punch?

Source: VentureBeat
This is pretty exciting news either way. Although magnetic attachments are not quite the same as a modular build which allows you to attach and remove various components that make up the entire structure. I'm still waiting to see when that comes out, and it would be awesome if Motorola and Lenovo did in fact go that direction.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm interested! But only if that camera is not sticking out of the back like that (yes, that is a big pet peeve of mine).

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
I can't stand how the trend is make it smaller and smaller, the 5.2mm is actual only .205" thick and the 7mm is 0.276" thick. In making it so thin, only thing it does is almost guarantee people buying cases to put the devices in. and once you add the case who cares how it looks because all you see is the case.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Seems odd they'd put the smaller battery in the higher end phone. Maybe a typo?

Part of it is the hardware is more energy efficient. Most companies bank on a person charging it every night or having it charge on their desk at work or in the car. For me, I only charge mine at night. My daily use usually gets the battery down to about 20%. But thats my use. My wife however has to keep hers charging all day since she never turns Facebook off.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I can't stand how the trend is make it smaller and smaller, the 5.2mm is actual only .205" thick and the 7mm is 0.276" thick. In making it so thin, only thing it does is almost guarantee people buying cases to put the devices in. and once you add the case who cares how it looks because all you see is the case.

So true. There has been woefully little attention paid to ergonomics. Our hand has a natural curvature to it, yet phones keep getting bigger and thinner, making them more awkward and uncomfortable to hold.

And we sacrifice battery and sd cards - for what? An indiscernible few tenths of a millimeter thickness?!? That's what people want!!!....well, if that's all the choices they have it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

duxdad

Reaction score
As a loooong time Moto customer I hate to say I am moving on. Changes to their support policies, lack of updates to my Moto X 2nd gen( maybe because of Verizon), and reports of their warranty support bungling has caused to to swear off Moto.
Am looking forward to the upcoming new Nexus offerings.
Just received back a refurb/repair for my broken screen original Moto X 2nd gen and the leather back does not look as nice as I remember. Can't be sure but doesn't look like Horween leather.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have had a case on every single one of my phones since I realized how bad my D2G looked after 1 year of use... since then I buy a TPU case, sometimes a clear one, sometimes coloured. and place it on the device, it helps me know mine instantly if there are any other similar devices AND i love how they look.

adaro

Banned
Reaction score
Photos shared by mobipicker show us the front of this smartphone and confirm the presence of the physical button below the screen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iphone 6 pas cher nouvel ipad air 2

Last edited: