Moto Phone Portal - Droid to PC Media Sync(and More) via WiFi

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
Moto Phone Portal only worked for about 10 files for me. Then I tried Websharing from the Market. That seemed to work but even though the files were on the SD card, Music would only show a dozen files or so. Actually ended up corrupting the card and had to reformat. Ended up pulling the card and dragging and dropping the files on. The entire reason I looked for a wireless connection was my PC won't successfully connect with the Droid despite several troubleshooting steps. It will connect to my wife's laptop so I had to move the music files from PC to laptop, then onto the SD card. Which was the whole point of using a wireless app to get the job done. Sadly, it doesn't seem like there is a reliable app out there yet.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
asdfkjnvlknaldsfnadsvlkndk!!

Thank you. This really is the SHIZNIT!!!

Battery percentage info, storage info...OMG!

One thing though, I JUST started playing with it, but when I clicked "play music," it started playing it on the phone. Is there a way to stream it to the computer?

[Sorry if anyone already asked. I was too excited to skim through the rest of the posts...]

I :heart: this!

thatguychuck

Reaction score
Toyed with this for a little bit, and have found it useful. If I want to transfer a few files or pictures, it saves me from getting out the usb cord or emailing them to myself and then downloading. Very slick.

rkeller62

Reaction score
I still do not get file manager in either browser.:mad:

Can someone open the file manager and copy the address and paste it here?

http://[ipaddress assigned to droid]:8080/webfolder/

Type that into the address bar of a Windoze file explorer window and it should open the sdcard on your phone when phone tools is running.

therock

Reaction score
Forget about this free junky app. I just got a 2.99 app that smokes! Streams music xfr multiple filrs. Nice look as feel Awesome app.

Websharing by Nextap. Don;t dother with the free version, go for the gold.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Forget about this free junky app. I just got a 2.99 app that smokes! Streams music xfr multiple filrs. Nice look as feel Awesome app.

Thanks! Will check it out!

tu3218

Reaction score

can you text from your computer using that software?

therock

Reaction score

can you text from your computer using that software?

I'm finding there is no Contacts editir and texter. Just a really good file manager program. It does show you your images. I wish it had a contacts editor.

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
The paid Websharing app did not work for me. Ended up corrupting my SD card and had to reformat and phone couldn't read 90% of what the app said was uploaded. Thankfully I tried it when it was 99 cents.

tliebeck

Reaction score
The paid Websharing app did not work for me. Ended up corrupting my SD card and had to reformat and phone couldn't read 90% of what the app said was uploaded. Thankfully I tried it when it was 99 cents.

I'm the dev of this product.

Do you mean WebSharing corrupted your SD card?

There should be NO WAY for this to happen, we're using the standard high-level Android Java APIs to write files. If you happen to be familiar with Java, what I'm saying here is that all of our read/write/mkdir/delete operations use the java.io.File object. The WebSharing product is 100% Java, there's no C code whatsoever. There's simply no way that I know of, even if one was deliberately malicous, to corrupt a filesystem structure using java.io.File.

Is there any chance you had the SD card mounted to a computer via USB and pulled the cable? The SD card is FAT16/32 formatted and has a significant chance of being corrupted if this happens. This is due to FAT not being a journaled filesystem. I've personally done it with FAT USB hard drives. A non-journaled file system like FAT is not structurally sound if something bad happens, e.g., a sudden disconnect during a file write operation.

Additionally we've not received any reports other than this one of corrupted files uploads. If WebSharing tried to upload data to a corrupted file system though, the files of course would likely also be corrupted.

In any case, if you don't want the product, drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I'd be happy to refund your money. Edit..sorry your name in Google checkout, I actually don't have access to your e-mail address.

Last edited:

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
I see...

Well, I did use Websharing right after trying Moto Phone Portal which didn't work for me either (MPP was successful getting about 4 or 5 files transferred). It's possible that the SD card was messed up before I started with Websharing and your app had no chance.

With Websharing I was transferring approx 2300 music files and according the the explorer window on my PC everything was completed (I did it in batches of 20-30 files at a time - maybe that had something to do with it?) However when I went into Music on the MotoDroid it showed about 10% of what the explorer window had shown. I deleted what was listed but one entry would not go away, despite when checking the SD card it apparently wasn't there. It was obvious to me that the SD card was all out of whack so I reformated and pulled the card out and went to the tried-and-true drag/drop method and all the files are on my phone now and everything works. Though it is inconvenient because my PC and MotoDroid will not communicate despite trying to find the correct drivers. That was the reason I went in search of a wireless option. But my wife's laptop connected instantly with my phone so what I had to do was move my selected files to the laptop first (via flash drive), and with the card in the laptop transfer from laptop to card. Alot of steps but it does work.

I'm not worried about a refund. I got it when it was .99 so it's OK. Thanks for your reply.

tliebeck

Reaction score
I would venture a guess that Moto Phone Portal is also not at fault. I have never actually used Moto Phone Portal, but based on the screenshots I've seen, I would hypothesize that it performs its on-device operations in much the same manner as WebSharing. Additionally it's distributed as an APK (and works on HTC phones as well if I understand correctly), which eliminates the possiblity that it's accessing any theoretical Droid-specific low-level API. In any case, there'd be no *reason* for it to do such a thing, as a developer you want to use the highest-level API possible to do what you need.

WebSharing should be fine uploading large quantities of files. I would recommend breaking them into chunks (as you did) rather than pushing 2300 files at once. This recommendation is largely based on the fact that cell phone wireless drivers/hardware and consumer-grade home wireless routers occassionally disconnect from one another. My 1st gen iPhone used to crash my previous router, and my Droid ocassionally drops off my current one.

I'd bet something bad happened when the phone was connected to your PC and couldn't read the SD card. You shouldn't need *any* driver to mount the Droid as a USB mass storage device on any computer. Just connect the USB cable, pull down the notification area, and select "USB connected". Your phone is then talking to the computer in the exact same way it would talk to a USB flash drive.