928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Also found this demo video of the Moto Phone Portal on the Milestone (not in english)

[video=youtube;hz7iQAfVguo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz7iQAfVguo&feature=player_embedded[/video]

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Little bit more of trivial concerning this app (Moto Phone Portal) it appears this is a native app for the Milestone (euro Droid)

Look under "Connectivity" on the Motorola Milestone Tech specs..

Milestone Android - Phone Without Compromise - Motorola United Kingdom

Maybe some of our overseas friends can check their Milestone for the "Phone Tools" app to confirm.

Yes, it is. I have a Milestone and I have reset it a few times and the app is always there when I reboot.
Btw, I have a Milestone but I am in the US. :)

Thanks for confirming that.

BTW, can you check the current Phone Tools app file version # on your Milestone? The version we have here is "File Version 0.29.02".
In case you don't know how to find it...

Menu>Settings>Applications> Manage Applications ... then Menu> Filter > "All" and it should show up in the apps list, tap it and see what the version is. Should show as Version 2902 (or later).

If you have a later version you could copy the personalportal.apk on to your SD card and then post it :)

It should be in "System/app" directory.

OH, also does your allow connection with WiFi AND USB ??

Last edited:

nthanh61

Reaction score
It said version 1000401. I don't know if it's a later version or not. yes, it does allow for Wifi and USB.
I see the personalportal.apk but how do I copy it to the SD card? I see it using Astro.

Last edited:
OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
It said version 1000401. I don't know if it's a later version or not. yes, it does allow for Wifi and USB.
I see the personalportal.apk but how do I copy it to the SD card? I see it using Astro.

Long press on the file and the menu will pop up, chose edit, then the edit menu will pop up, then tap copy. Then navigate to the SD card and tap the "Edit" button the upper menu, then select paste.

From there you can long press the file on the SD card, select Edit, then rename, just add .zip to the file name and post it here!

Also please check and see if there is a matching "personalportal" file below the first one in the app directory, this would be the odex file and we would need both of them if it has an odex. Hopefully it doesn't have an odex file as this will make it harder to turn into an installable apk.

THANKS!

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Newer Version with added USB support!

FOUND newer version in a Milestone Dump.. AND it also supports USB!!!!

Download, extract apk and install!!

To use USB cable it appears to want some additional Motorola USB SoftwareDrivers,... I am on the hunt for them now. I have a sneaking suspicion this is just for connecting to the normal Motorola/Nero MultiMedia Link Software.

nthanh61,
Do you have the USB drivers and software that came with your Milestone? If so can you zip them up and post them? Should be on the CD that came with the phone. Or can you confirm this is just MultiMedia Link Software?

Last edited:

nthanh61

Reaction score

Long press on the file and the menu will pop up, chose edit, then the edit menu will pop up, then tap copy. Then navigate to the SD card and tap the "Edit" button the upper menu, then select paste.

From there you can long press the file on the SD card, select Edit, then rename, just add .zip to the file name and post it here!

Also please check and see if there is a matching "personalportal" file below the first one in the app directory, this would be the odex file and we would need both of them if it has an odex. Hopefully it doesn't have an odex file as this will make it harder to turn into an installable apk.

THANKS!
No. It doesn't have an odex file and enjoy.

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
it said version 1000401. I don't know if it's a later version or not. Yes, it does allow for wifi and usb.
I see the personalportal.apk but how do i copy it to the sd card? I see it using astro.

long press on the file and the menu will pop up, chose edit, then the edit menu will pop up, then tap copy. Then navigate to the sd card and tap the "edit" button the upper menu, then select paste.

From there you can long press the file on the sd card, select edit, then rename, just add .zip to the file name and post it here!

Thanks!
no. It doesn't have an odex file and enjoy.

Thanks. it is odd that the version you posted is the older version without USB support, 0.29.02, and the one I pulled of the Milestone dump is version 1.00 and supports USB.....I also noticed the earlier version is much faster...strange!

Last edited:

dverplank

Reaction score
Cool app - not sure what to do with it yet. Can't transfer file with any browser - Am I missing the link to do this?? This feature would make it much more useful.

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Cool app - not sure what to do with it yet. Can't transfer file with any browser - Am I missing the link to do this?? This feature would make it much more useful.

You should take a few minutes and read thru the whole thread, your answer is there.. but at least start at post #32 and read from there about file management/transfers with this app.

Hope that helps,

dverplank

Reaction score

You should take a few minutes and read thru the whole thread, your answer is there.. but at least start at post #32 and read from there about file management/transfers with this app.

Hope that helps,

Am I missing it really??? IE won't display the file transfer tab either.

Thanks

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com

Hope that helps,

Am I missing it really??? IE won't display the file transfer tab either.

Thanks

Which version of the app are you using?

If you are using the lastest one (1.00) try the 0.29 version and see if there is a difference.

nthanh61

Reaction score
long press on the file and the menu will pop up, chose edit, then the edit menu will pop up, then tap copy. Then navigate to the sd card and tap the "edit" button the upper menu, then select paste.

From there you can long press the file on the sd card, select edit, then rename, just add .zip to the file name and post it here!

Thanks!

Thanks. it is odd that the version you posted is the older version without USB support, 0.29.02, and the one I pulled of the Milestone dump is version 1.00 and supports USB.....I also noticed the earlier version is much faster...strange!

So I have the older version then and not 1.00?

DreamOperator

Reaction score
Thanks 928Droid, for the newer version.

Unfortunately, I still can't get it to work via USB. It said to plug in USB to launch, but I already had it connected. I killed the app, unplugged USB, launched the app and plugged in the cable, but nothing happened.

Anybody get this working via USB?

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com

So I have the older version then and not 1.00?

The zip file you upload showed version 0.29.02 when I installed it.

Open the app on your Milestone and see if it has options for USB and WiFi.