Moto owned by Google now

EFGantry

Reaction score
Moto stockholders won't vote on the acquisition until 11/17 - so it won't be official until then.

as far as ICS updates, Moto and VZW have said that ICS will be on the RAZR in early '12 (i think Panda tweeted that it would be Feb). i don't think Moto is going to get preferential treatment from Google for updates. Google has vowed that no preferential treatment will be given, and i think that will be true cuz Google wants to keep its other Andy licensees happy. BUT, i do think that Google will put pressure on Moto to make sure that it updates its devices quickly.

the unlocked BL is an interesting question. we all know the RAZR can be unlocked, cuz Moto has said it can be unlocked in Euro. but, here, VZW has decided that it wants it locked down. now, once Google officially acquires Moto, it could try to allow the BL to be unlocked. but, because it was (purportedly) VZW's decision, i still think it is unlikely. but, you never know...

OP

Reaction score
I have been looking at the RAZR for about a week now and I like it maybe better than the G NEX but I really do not want to mess with a locked bootloader if I dont have to. I hate the lack of scene in the D2G department and i attribute that to the locked bootloader. Although ICS already has more than I could ask for in the features department, I am still unsure about locking into to RAZR over the G NEX. Just curious to see if anyone had anything to say about the topic.

EFGantry

Reaction score
GNex pluses: unlocked BL, HD screen, ICS OTB, OMAP 4460, camera, NFC, updates from Google, most likely a big dev'r community

GNex "minuses" [as in, i'll need to see real world testing to address these concerns]: form factor/aesthetics (personal preference), no sdcard, build quality, call quality, LTE connectivity, battery life (nothing proven yet, but these have been issues with Sammy devices before)

RAZR pluses: build quality, aesthetics, call quality (Moto's history on these), battery, storage (16 gb on board, 32 gb expandable), rooted already, will get ICS quickly, improved screen (still not true HD, but probly not noticeable and still a vast improvement over prior devices), thin and light yet sturdy, some nice new features (MotoCast/MotoActv)

RAZR "minuses": encrypted BL, Blur (but can be removed with root), "only" OMAP 4430 (altho, clocked at 1.2 just like GNex), camera (don't know if been improved/fixed), no ICS OTB, non-removable battery, no NFC

if hacking and roming is a big issue for you, you're probably best served by going with the GNex - the dev'rs are just salivating over the chance of getting ahold of this device. for me, rom'ing isn't a huge issue any more. the NEED to rom has been diminished because of all the advancements in speed, as well as the improvements to the OS. but, like you, i don't like the idea of not being able to hack my own phone, if i want. however, i'm still undecided as to whether that is enough to sway me toward the GNex. i'm just gonna wait until both devices are out, test each one, and read other users' opinions of both before i make a decision.

the great thing is, you really can't go "wrong" with either device - they're both gonna be monsters!

R

RETG

Stockholder approval is a minor hurdle; it is expected to be no problem.
But the acquisition will not be final until after DOJ approval. And, last month, the DOJ stated they are going to do a more detailed examination of the deal. Don't expect an answer at the earliest; first quarter 2012.

Oaklands

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...reparation-google-acquistion.html#post1816503

Does this mean the RAZR is now controlled by Googles will? I want to know if this makes the RAZR a google phone in that ICS, updates, and an unlocked bootlaoder are in store for the new RAZR.

Any opinions?

The problem I have is Moto is the only one of VZW vendors that encrypts the locked bootloader. All the rest might simply lock it but not encrypt it. Some other vendors have been known to show no concern on their boot unlockers getting leaked. Motorola is,the only 1 I know of to go one step firther and encrypt. AsFar as I have read they are not required to.

OP

Reaction score
Who are some of the DEVS behind each phone (assuming they have shown interest in a phone)? I know that P3D has been updating the status of the RAZR Root ability and its seems to me like he is on board there. I was wondering if you knew any more info. I really think roming is not essential like it was with the OG days. However, what happens when the DEVS com up with something new that we havent seen yet. They pushed the envolope in the OG days and these features are now standard in ICS. The addition of themes fo launchers such as GO Launcher and ADW Launcher EX etc have been pretty amazing and really dont require root to have a cool looking device. OC'ing is not essential and I really never needed it more than a few 100hz to smooth out the OG. Now days with dual core I will have more than enough in a phone because I wont be watching HD video, recording HD video much, or playing games that are intricate and detailed because they are on a CELL PHONE. I could see the new nintendo handheld emulator hoggin some juice but dual core will suffice. So i really cant think of a HUGE or MUST HAVE feature presently that an unlocked bootlaoder can provide me with because at this time 1)moto reception has been fine with me on my D2G 2)I dont care to overclock my DUAL CORE cellphone 3)I wont underclock it to try and save battery life because I have never thought it made a difference.

Oaklands, good point about the encryption. I had no idea. but they MIGHT have an unlocked international phone. I never read the articles but some speculated that it was not the case they would be unlocked over seas at launch. Maybe the RAZR will get some tool from Google next year. I dunno.

Oak

equake

Reaction score
The current crop of phones run the 1st gen dual core socs. Although quite a big jump over the single core cou, they are not optimized by the S/W running on them and a big drain on battery life. Nextgen SoCs will have much better optimization toward power/performance.

Oaklands

Reaction score
With 800 employees losing their job, maybe 1 will be mad enough to leak something for us.