Moto news from Proud

60lpsdf250

Reaction score
"ibproud: .@kb7sqi @motorola yes, now confirmed the solution will apply to all devices that receive OTA update in 2nd half of 2011 w/ carrier approval"
--http://twitter.com/ibproud/status/81163522934968320

D2G

rusty815

Reaction score
oh, i read about this somewhere else yesterday, all a lot of hot air to me, ill believe that they want to unlock the bootloaders when the actually do unlock the bootloaders, chances are theyre going to end support for the dx, d2, dpro, and d2g only so they wont have to unlock their bootloaders, remember they said that phones that are due to be updated in q3 will have a chance at getting unlocked, were seeing them put out updates for these phones now. probably the only phone with a chance to get the bootloader unlocked is the atrix, and probably the x2, even then, motorola said its up to the carriers, who knows if the carriers will allow this.

rusty815

Reaction score
thats my point, they wont. the xoom isnt a good example because that was googles flagship tablet, im sure if it was locked, google wouldnt have endorsed it as their development tablet. it was basically the nexus tablet, so locking it would be a shame to the nexus phones which google always ensured had open bootloaders.

EOK1335

Reaction score
with carrier approval?
um.....could vzw let it go that easy...?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Now read the link you just posted. The question was whether they allow activating a device that has its bootloader unlocked or not.

They can't even tell if it's unlocked or not if the activation is done via *228, because the device doesn't yell “I AM UNLOCKED!” when it requests programming. The only way to tell is to check the phone using some spy-class application or manually at a store.

Not whether they are fine with unlocking their own devices out of their own free will.

OP
60lpsdf250

60lpsdf250

Reaction score
I'm just gleaning the various posts. The way I'm interpreting it is that Moto is going to unlock the bootloaders sometime in 2011. Verizon said they would activate HTC devices with unlocked bootloaders (I take this to mean they are either sold unlocked or there is the ability to unlock them). I agee the tweet specifically cite HTC and does not necessairly mention Moto, but I would wonder why they would exclude Moto... but knowing my luck they will.
I would presume HTC and Verizon were collaborating before HTC announced they were going to unlock their bootloaders, i.e. Verizon has known this fact for a while.
I would suspect that Moto and Verizon are talking right now working out how the are going to negotiate the unlocked bootloaders for Moto devices. Or this could be wishful thinking on my part... to each his own.

D2G

rusty815

Reaction score
htc phones on verizon, with the exception of the tbolt and the incredible 2, have always been unlocked, htc recently announced that they wouldnt lock down their phone's bootloaders anymore, and thats where the question in the link you put arose about using phones with unlocked bootloaders on verizon. lets not forget that it was verizon who pressured manufacturers into locking their bootloaders, why would they all of a sudden change their minds?

OP
60lpsdf250

60lpsdf250

Reaction score
htc phones on verizon, with the exception of the tbolt and the incredible 2, have always been unlocked, htc recently announced that they wouldnt lock down their phone's bootloaders anymore, and thats where the question in the link you put arose about using phones with unlocked bootloaders on verizon. lets not forget that it was verizon who pressured manufacturers into locking their bootloaders, why would they all of a sudden change their minds?

Aha, I did not have this information. I understand the skepticism now. B*stards!

D2G