Moto Milestone doesn't play mp4 properly

Vlad3011

Reaction score
can anybody give me a hint why my new Motorola Milestone does not play mp4 properly - only sound is ok, but no video:mad:. The same file is being played on iphone ok.

D

dvdcatalyst

can anybody give me a hint why my new Motorola Milestone does not play mp4 properly - only sound is ok, but no video:mad:. The same file is being played on iphone ok.

If the iPhone can play the file, usually android devices can handle the file as well, however, it can depend on the program used to convert, as well as the actual video format in the file.
MP4 is just a file type. It can contain video formats such as H264 (MPEG4 AVC) and Generic MPEG4, (MPEG4 SP)
Open the file in Quicktrime on your computer, and then click on WIndow > Show Movie Inspector, and see whats listed as the video format.

OP
V

Vlad3011

Reaction score
Open the file in Quicktrime on your computer, and then click on WIndow > Show Movie I

Thanks a lot. This is what the Show Movie Inspector is showing: Format: H.264, 640x360, Millions AAC, Stereo (L R), 48000, FPS: 25, Data Rate: 807.30 kbit/sec

OP
V

Vlad3011

Reaction score
Moto Milestone mp4 playing problem

Hi! I have re-encoded it to a lower resolution and it is being played fine. The Window Movie Inspector is now showing: Format: H.264, 480 x 320, FPS: 12.5, Data rate: 876.78 kbit/sec. I just wonder why Moto Milestone can not play a file with a resolution 640 x 360 (too pity:mad:) which iPhone can . Now I shall experement with the resolution to find out the threshold. This is the declared specification at the motorola site:

• VIDEO CAPABLE
    D1 video playback (720x480 @ 30 fps - NTSC) or (720x576 @ 25 fps - PAL)
  • VIDEO CAPTURE
  • PLAYABLE FORMATS
    eAAC+, MP3, AMR WB, MPEG-4, H.264, WAV, AAC, AAC+, H.263, MIDI, AMR NB, OGG
  • STREAMING MEDIA
    Video
  • VIDEO CAPTURE RATE
    DVD quality up to 24fps ; D1 (720x480) resolution

OP
V

Vlad3011

Reaction score
Have a look at the files in here

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/15161-droid-optimized-movie-trailers.html

Many of them are 854x480 or 848x480, 30fps, 1500kbps video, 160kbps audio H264, and play fine on the Droid/Milestone.
The iPhone, unlike the specs mention, can actually play 720x480 as a max resolution.

Dvdcatalist, thanks a lot for easing my mind. Milestone is playing the trailers just fine :) I guess there is some weird encoding in that particular file.

D

dvdcatalyst

Sure, no problem.

H264 can get quite complicated in regards of encoding levels, and a whole bunch of different options that can be used with the conversion. It just baffles me that, unless the iPhone file is iTunes-bought or a so-called "Digital Copy" that the Droid wont play it.
Video-wise, the Droid is more powerful than the iPhone.

Edit, Milestone :) They are pretty much identical anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweettooth

Reaction score
The Droid not being able to play most video formats has been one of the biggest disappointments for me. What I first did was use a program called Handbrake which you can use to convert a file into an .mkv and it will play fine but sometimes it was out of sync. I have since however, downloaded a cracked version of ImTOO Converter Ultimate which is freakin sweet and has a ton of different pre-configured converting options such as being Xbox 360 or iPhone specific. Still a chore to convert each movie but what I've found is whatever plays on my 360 will usually play on my Droid and since I stream all my movies to my 360 from an external HDD it's like killing two birds with one stone.