Moto Maker Moto X Orders Get Free NFC Unlock Clip Called 'Skip'; Normally Sells $20

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola-Skip-NFC-accessory.png

Motorola reveals new Moto X accessory. It's a small clip called "Skip" that is basically an NFC key to unlock your Moto X with a touch instead of having to use a pattern unlock or pin. The device will sell online for $19.99, but folks who order the Moto Maker custom versions of the Moto X can get the clip for free. The free option seems worthwhile, but it's hard to recommend this "gadget" for $20 bucks. Regardless, if you were curious how to set it up, here's a breakdown below from their website:

moto-x-skip-setup.png

Source: Motorola - (1) & (2)

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
finger print scanner built into the phone would be more practical. this thing you have to reattach to your clothing every time you change and make sure you don't lose it around the house.

pattern to unlock or face recognition would be my choice for now if i wanted a unique locking method on the phone.

Asgard

Reaction score
finger print scanner built into the phone would be more practical. this thing you have to reattach to your clothing every time you change and make sure you don't lose it around the house.

pattern to unlock or face recognition would be my choice for now if i wanted a unique locking method on the phone.

I use face recognition on my GNex, and I guess others are staying away from fingerprint unlock since it's been rumored that Apple will have it on the next iPhone and it might mean a lawsuit on the making.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is maybe the best/most practical alternative I've seen yet. No, it's not ideal but it at least provides a way to avoid the hassle of unlocking your phone while still enabling security if you get separated from your phone, i.e. you lose it or even sitting on your desk at home when your in the other room (where a nosey girlfriend might check it out while you're in the bathroom).

Attach it to your keys and I think it's pretty convenient. If I wore a watch the same sort of function with a BT-capable watch could also be very convenient.

Or if they can reduce it to credit card size then it could fit comfortably in your wallet. Lot of potential here, especially if combined with 2-factor authentication for secure email/banking/etc.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Or if they can reduce it to credit card size then it could fit comfortably in your wallet. Lot of potential here, especially if combined with 2-factor authentication for secure email/banking/etc.

Or, just attach it to your wallet. The only problem is that if your phone and your wallet get's stolen, you are SOL.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Or, just attach it to your wallet. The only problem is that if your phone and your wallet get's stolen, you are SOL.

Well for that matter someone might walk you to your ATM and force you to enter your bankcode. Just not even a remotely likely possibility.

Anyway, as I've said before I don't lock my phone and I just don't put anything overly sensitive on it. If it got lost or stolen all I really need to do is change a gmail password and a few others. I don't do any banking or sensitive financial transactions on my phone - there's really no need for it (unless, I suppose, your phone is your only internet connected device).

And, really, an identity thief is probably not going to the trouble of physically stealing my phone.