Moto G Forums are Live!

divsec

Reaction score
Hi all have had mine since Friday. Great in all respects. Battery life superb after my 2 year old nexus s. Love it. Cannot fault it as yet.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
I am looking forward to ordering mine in another week or two also!
My wife gave me permission to order one for my birthday, so I have to do the same when her day arrives.
The printing will still be wet when I root the device, and then install my favorites on it.
I think I will follow a completely different approach to backups than before as well.

For once, new phones over old, used and abused devices, like a new car!

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
They arrived!
All sync'd up and operational.....
Moto Migrate is an easy app to use even wih the old D2, and transfers were pain free and fast.
Now all I need is a fast method of applying root.
The Moto site is convoluted, and my SDK tools don't like the USB drivers they request you download, as I have tried several times, and I get a 500 server error.
Anyway, here's the goodies as I opened them.
DSCF1086.JPG
DSCF1087.JPG
DSCF1088.JPG
DSCF1090.JPG
DSCF1091.JPG
All these shots came out lousy, so my aplogies for such a bad job, I guess I wasn't paying close attention to distance from the lens.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Since February, we have used our Moto-G phones extensively, and mine has been a warehouse for pics, and I am still shooting.
I have our relocation 'voyage' from WI. back to AZ. recorded, as well as tourist attractions and scenery shots, including museums and a host of other interesting items along the way.
G+ uploads, Drive uploads and WiFi spots to connect to, not including those I scanned while driving. The WiFi on the phone is excellent, and connects very fast.
Receive on CDMA networks is also very good, never a dropped call, and always excellent call quality. Signal Pro is a great app for knowing which tower serves you best, and you can see the handoffs if you are in a fringe area where coverage overlaps. Aside from this, we really like the selectible cameras, they make those ever-important, and always embarrassing selfies, simple to deal with.
Internal memory is good, but with any device without a micro-SD card slot, more is always better. But 500+ images stored, there is plenty of internal memory to snap those wedding and reception pictures!
Being an RF engineer, the receiver and transmitter portions of the phone are moreimportant tome, as are the Bluetooth and WiFi, with the other goodies being ancillary to my needs.
I am still on the fence as to rooting this device, although I have terminal Emulator app installed, I am not quite convinced of the need to root it just yet, but I know I will do so in the future.
As for durability and ruggedness, it did suffer a drop to pavement, where the case suffered road rash, but no real damage, just a couple of nicks, and even dropping from the belt, the fall did not affect the screen, only dislodged the case a minor amount. I did find that the Chromebook does NOT like the Moto-G when using USB, as the phone's battery is drained when you connect the phone to it. Even using PTP or MTP options, the phone loses battery life as long as it is connected. I have yet to find the exact cause of this, but am digging into why this is occurring. The Chromebook model is the C710, or C7.
f you are using this model and are considering connecting your Moto-G to it via USB, keep an eye on your battery life!
All in all, the Moto-G is a superb performer, and the $99.00 we paid is well worth it for what you get!
I am glad we took the plunge and ordered. A phone that has a great display, excellent battery life for a weekend full of picture-taking and calls/texts can't be bad, no matter how you slice it.
I have the HP all-in-one printing app, and using WiFi direct, it connects to the printer fast, and prints almost immediately!
Next, I will be disassembling the device and seeing just how difficult it will be to actually replace the battery.
Once I obtain internal dimensions, I bet I can shoe-horn a different cell inside, even if it means soldering to the contacts, something will work.
I have had a few devices powered by off-brand batteries, and even a Droid 2 that was powered by a BT60 battery for a time, and all I had to do, was provide the spacers to make up the open space and maintain constant contact with the smaller battery.
If you are looking at a cost-effective smartphone, as a main device, or a standby, you can't go wrong with the Moto-G.
DSCF1563.JPG
Sorry, I couldn't resist showing off the scenery of Arizona in April!(The rocky plateau you see in the background, is the start of the Mogollon Rim)
DSCF1532.JPG

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
IMG_20140302_154548639_HDR[1].jpg
Meteor Crater, taken with the Moto-G.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Here are a few more uploads from my Moto-G, so you see the picture quality in real world applications.
IMG_20140318_243852036[1].jpg
Fossil specimen found while hiking a trail near the rim.
Also taken with the Moto-G.

NWKENT

Reaction score
Nice shots..I agree with your post 100%..awesome device..picture quality is excellent for what we paid for..does exactly what I need it to and then some..I miss tether/hotspot..but..other than that..the device is very friendly..I have a Moto X DEV and Droid Maxx DEV..Seems as thow my daily driver always is by choice >> Moto G..everything makes since..I'm not concerned about carrying a $700 phone, afraid I might drop it, loose it, or get stolen, I enjoy the Moto G because I don't have to worry about all those factors, I have been carrying this device for about four months now..have not dropped it, so I cannot honestly comment on durability as per a drop..but..this device is very well build, all seems fit nicely, the buttons and exterior functions are very well located for everyday, human use, excellent device for a woman with small hands, but yet also fits a man just as well..which I have large hands, and the G fits me well..the screen output is also awesome, for these old eyes..spend your money on this device..its a $400 device in my opinion..

Sent from my 4.3_14.14.14
(Unlocked) XT1028 Moto G
http://waynekent.com/page6.html

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
I will have to get on the ball soon here, and get our Moto-Gs unlocked as well.
I have too many irons in the fire currently, so that project is shelved for the time being.
One thing I do like, is the super fast WiFi connect speed, it locks up and logs on really fast, rarely have to wait for the ever-boring log-on, and authentication process, it zips right through it and *BANG* you're connected!
Even on public WiFi networks, it's zippy fast!

Inundated

Reaction score
Moved to the Moto G from my two year old Droid 4 (which gave up the battery ghost), and...as a certain TV comedy spy character would say..."and loving it!"

I haven't found a thing wrong with this phone yet.

Good memory management and the 50 GB of Google Drive space (and a coming USB OTG cable) mean I can live with 5.5GB free. I'm at 3GB free right now and have all my daily apps. I can shuttle in and out big apps like Netflix/TWC TV.

VZW's 3G is excellent here. My D4 was on 3G 95% of the time since it sucked down battery life in 4G.

Oh, and that battery life! I haven't gone below 70% since I got the thing, with daily, pretty heavy use. I'd go below 70% in 45 minutes on the D4 :) I am still plugging in where I am near an outlet for a long time, but I really don't have to, with the battery life on this thing.

Speaking of which, I swore I'd never buy another phone without a replaceable battery.

I see that Motorola will replace it out of warranty for $49, so I'm cool with that. I don't know if that option was available in the D4's early days.

Rumblesis162

Reaction score
Question about Moto G

Is this a prepaid Moto G??? I currently have three Samsung S3's and the verizon bill is killing me. I have unlimited talk, text and DATA. My son is the only one of us who uses more than 1 Gb of data each month. If I can get my daughter and I on a prepaid plan, I will be thrilled.

Any suggestions? Frys.com has the Moto G prepaid for Verizon at $99 - but I don't know if it is worth it or not.

Thanks,
Brenda

NWKENT

Reaction score
Is this a prepaid Moto G??? I currently have three Samsung S3's and the verizon bill is killing me. I have unlimited talk, text and DATA. My son is the only one of us who uses more than 1 Gb of data each month. If I can get my daughter and I on a prepaid plan, I will be thrilled.

Any suggestions? Frys.com has the Moto G prepaid for Verizon at $99 - but I don't know if it is worth it or not.

Thanks,
Brenda

I have the PrePaid Verizon Moto G XT1028..after the initial expence of the device @ $99 and first month..I pay $73 a month tax included (unlimited talk & text 4GB data).. been on this for four months now..The Moto G is an awesome device..here where I live in mountains of NC, Verizon (by far) is the better service..maybe a few dollars more per month (less then $10)..but AT&T or T-Mobile reception /data service is almost non existent.. depends on your area ofcourse..but my guess is Verizon will be better data anywhere you go..REMEMBER thow..the XT1028 is 3G only..but here..I'm tickled to have any service..
:)

(Unlocked) XT1028 Moto G
http://waynekent.com/page6.html

Rumblesis162

Reaction score
I have the PrePaid Verizon Moto G XT1028..after the initial expence of the device @ $99 and first month..I pay $73 a month tax included (unlimited talk & text 4GB data).. been on this for four months now..The Moto G is an awesome device..here where I live in mountains of NC, Verizon (by far) is the better service..maybe a few dollars more per month (less then $10)..but AT&T or T-Mobile reception /data service is almost non existent.. depends on your area ofcourse..but my guess is Verizon will be better data anywhere you go..REMEMBER thow..the XT1028 is 3G only..but here..I'm tickled to have any service..
:)

THANKS!! That is what I was hoping for. I am trying to get my kids off my account. This way, they can pay and select what they want. I get 4G currently everywhere on my Samsung SIII EXCEPT when I am at work. 3G doesn't suck.

(Unlocked) XT1028 Moto G
Mozart_WayneKent_Motorola_dot_com_2014

THANKS!! That is what I was hoping for. I am trying to get my kids off my account. This way, they can pay and select what they want. I get 4G currently everywhere on my Samsung SIII EXCEPT when I am at work. 3G doesn't suck.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

The only issue they'll probably see is having to use the slower 3G speeds, but when push comes to shove, if you can't afford a BMW (4G), don't buy one. I use a prepaid Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Centura for my daily use, and it's my only phone. I realized a long time ago that I can afford a 4G device, but don't want to. Verizon's prices have gotten ridiculous.