Moto finally got Smart Actions right!Awesome battery life!

nateohio

Reaction score
I've been waiting and waiting for Moto to finally get Smart Actions running right on the Bionic. I think they may have gotten it with the latest update!

I have a smart actions rule set up that shuts off mobile data, GPS, and Wifi when the screen is off to absolutely maximize the battery life available.

The issue I had with previous iterations of Smart Actions is when turning the screen back on, it would take 10-20 seconds to reconnect to the mobile data network...this is obviously unacceptable. This most recent update fixes that issue and it connects to the network within 2-3 seconds for me 90% percent of the time and almost never exceeds 5 seconds to reconnect.

The below screenshots are what I got yesterday on a standard battery with almost 2 hours of "screen on" time. So I did use the phone during this time.
View attachment 59269View attachment 59270

Last edited:

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
Thats awesome, I just got the update today, and I'm excited to try it out

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Can the new smart actions silence notifications at night when charging while still allowing phone calls to ring? The two volumes used to be merged in smart actions, curious if they broke them back out.

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
Can the new smart actions silence notifications at night when charging while still allowing phone calls to ring? The two volumes used to be merged in smart actions, curious if they broke them back out.
Unfortunately, I don't think so. This is one of those (very) few things I miss from my Blackberry carrying days. I could turn all the notifications off, but the phone would still ring if someone called (was a sound profile called "Calls Only").

Bacchus224

Reaction score
The volume levels for phone and notification being tied together are the single reason that I do not use Smart Actions. I can silence notifications, but I have to be able to take calls 24/7. I use Automate It, and set up a rule for when I put the phone on my bedside dock.

If they would split those volume controls, I could dump an otherwise un-needed app.

DoctorV

Reaction score
I'd be nervous about turning off Data and GPS because if I ever lost my phone I wouldn't be able to use Where's My Droid to find it again.

SigSoldat

Reaction score
I will have to give this another try. Smart Actions worked well for the first couple of weeks. Then it started turning off data and not turning it back on.

I tried toggling airplane mode, toggling data off/on, restarting the phone, etc. I finally had to force close Smart Actions before data would return. I tried several times and it happened each time.

I hope it works correctly because that helps my battery last all day long.

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
I'd be nervous about turning off Data and GPS because if I ever lost my phone I wouldn't be able to use Where's My Droid to find it again.

Don't be...I actually used where's my Droid with those settings last week...works just fine...I guess WMD overrides the smart actions settings

Sent from my HoB'd Bionic using tapatalk

jcw122

Reaction score
I've been doing this just fine with JuiceDefender for about a year now.

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
I've been doing this just fine with JuiceDefender for about a year now.

I tried juice defender a while back (probably more than a year ago) and didn't like it...at that time it suffered from the same things that smart actions did

deduct

Reaction score
I just started using tasker(thanks eye dea). It has a bit of a learning curve just as the others but works well. And data recovers fast after screen turns back on.

jcw122

Reaction score
I tried juice defender a while back (probably more than a year ago) and didn't like it...at that time it suffered from the same things that smart actions did

I'd be willing to bet it was a phone issue rather than app in that case. My phone had a delay too but some of the OTAs fixed it.

Camoxjeep

Reaction score
I love smart actions, been using it sense we got ics. Also, i have mine set up to not have any notifications but also let certain people calls to go thru. So yes it can be done