Moto explains why they locked the bootloader

Darkseider

Reaction score
Then this should be the goal.. :)

It is one of the goals. The other is to approach it from a legal standpoint to see if there is a licensing violation. If so either Android in general is in violation if so the software issues will have to be rectified to remove the offending code. If the offending code cannot be removed without stopping Android in its' tracks then the licensing has to change or Android ceases as we know it. If the licensing changes that means that the hardware manufacturers will be in violation and will have to open bootloaders and offer an easy root method as well as restore method OR they stop making Android phones. Any of these outcomes works for me. Regardless of the "Do no evil" mantra of Google if there is a problem it needs to be fixed. Period. Innovation at the cost of Freedom isn't worth a damned thing.

We shall see, but from the looks of it your wrong. The market is proving that consumers still want this phone. This phone sold out in 2 hours from every best buy and verizon store i know in my county.

Just because it is selling out doesn't mean a damned thing. The iPhone 4 sold out and now Apple is facing multiple class action lawsuits due to the antenna issue. They are also holding a press conf. tomorrow presumably for the whole antenna fiasco. Popular does not equal good or right.

sin vicious

Reaction score
It is one of the goals. The other is to approach it from a legal standpoint to see if there is a licensing violation. If so either Android in general is in violation if so the software issues will have to be rectified to remove the offending code. If the offending code cannot be removed without stopping Android in its' tracks then the licensing has to change or Android ceases as we know it. If the licensing changes that means that the hardware manufacturers will be in violation and will have to open bootloaders and offer an easy root method as well as restore method OR they stop making Android phones. Any of these outcomes works for me. Regardless of the "Do no evil" mantra of Google if there is a problem it needs to be fixed. Period. Innovation at the cost of Freedom isn't worth a damned thing.

We shall see, but from the looks of it your wrong. The market is proving that consumers still want this phone. This phone sold out in 2 hours from every best buy and verizon store i know in my county.

Just because it is selling out doesn't mean a damned thing. The iPhone 4 sold out and now Apple is facing multiple class action lawsuits due to the antenna issue. They are also holding a press conf. tomorrow presumably for the whole antenna fiasco. Popular does not equal good or right.

It doesnt matter if it means damn thing to you... my point is, it means a damn thing for many other people who are buying them in droves. Which translates to $$$ for Motorola. From an ethical point.. I guess thats up for a toss, whether your freemarket capitalist or Interventionist..

Darkseider

Reaction score

It doesnt matter if it means damn thing to you... my point is, it means a damn thing for many other people who are buying them in droves. Which translates to $$$ for Motorola. From an ethical point.. I guess thats up for a toss, whether your freemarket capitalist or Interventionist..

So you are OK with the Motorola telling you that you don't own your phone and cannot do with it what you please? You are comfortable paying $199 and being treated like a child? Would you mind explaining to me how you made it as far as you have in life? Have you been told when and what to eat under penalty of fine and/or punishment? Have you been instructed on when to inhale and exhale in order to maintain a better cardiovascular system?

This is more than an ethical issue. It directly effects the consumers ownership, rather perceived ownership of a finished good. If you are incapable of doing anything to the device because it will brick itself I contend that you do not own it and are merely paying the $199 to use it. This whole thing is wrong on so many levels of wrong it is almost incomprehensible. Please for ONE minute think about the implications of all this for future products not only from Motorola but other electronics manufacturers, hell manufacturers in general, as well.

sin vicious

Reaction score

So you are OK with the Motorola telling you that you don't own your phone and cannot do with it what you please? You are comfortable paying $199 and being treated like a child? Would you mind explaining to me how you made it as far as you have in life? Have you been told when and what to eat under penalty of fine and/or punishment? Have you been instructed on when to inhale and exhale in order to maintain a better cardiovascular system?

This is more than an ethical issue. It directly effects the consumers ownership, rather perceived ownership of a finished good. If you are incapable of doing anything to the device because it will brick itself I contend that you do not own it and are merely paying the $199 to use it. This whole thing is wrong on so many levels of wrong it is almost incomprehensible. Please for ONE minute think about the implications of all this for future products not only from Motorola but other electronics manufacturers, hell manufacturers in general, as well.

Un-fortunately i am handicapped and have not made it far in life, and yes a machine does breathe for me... The implications are simple: What are the consumers going to do to change the trend? As of now, nothing!

oh and by the way i was joking about the handicapped stuff, but makes you think what if I was.. and how would have i taken it? We should choose our words more careful.

ewells2420

Reaction score
So their response is pretty much .... "**** you, all of you. We hooked you bastards with the droid knowing you would expect the same from future phones .... SYKE!"

Darkseider

Reaction score

Un-fortunately i am handicapped and have not made it fair in life, and yes a machine does breathe for me... The implications are simple: What are the consumers going to do to change the trend? As of now, nothing!

oh and by the way i was joking about the handicapped stuff, but makes you think what if I was.. and how would have i taken it? We should choose our words more careful.

Wouldn't have bothered me one bit. I mean what I say and say what I mean. As for changing a trend bad press has seemed to have forced Apple's hand. The same can be done for the Droid X. If enough tech blogs and mainstream tech media as well as other media outlets pick up on the story that the phone has what is essentially a self-destruct device (if confirmed true) then one can hope that Motorola feels the backlash. That along with a vocal minority in the community most of whom are decision makers or decision influencers amongst their family and peers can also make a difference by steering them away from the Droid X. It has to start small but it can explode, no pun intended, in a hurry.

sin vicious

Reaction score
So their response is pretty much .... "**** you, all of you. We hooked you bastards with the droid knowing you would expect the same from future phones .... SYKE!"

wow.. are you serious? I see no gotcha gimmicks.. no phone is ever sold with the promise of bootloader accessibility. Why do you feel entitled to change a products intent, just buy another phone.

sin vicious

Reaction score

Un-fortunately i am handicapped and have not made it fair in life, and yes a machine does breathe for me... The implications are simple: What are the consumers going to do to change the trend? As of now, nothing!

Wouldn't have bothered me one bit. I mean what I say and say what I mean. As for changing a trend bad press has seemed to have forced Apple's hand. The same can be done for the Droid X. If enough tech blogs and mainstream tech media as well as other media outlets pick up on the story that the phone has what is essentially a self-destruct device (if confirmed true) then one can hope that Motorola feels the backlash. That along with a vocal minority in the community most of whom are decision makers or decision influencers amongst their family and peers can also make a difference by steering them away from the Droid X. It has to start small but it can explode, no pun intended, in a hurry.

Amen.. I agree with that. Makes me wonder why the Nexus1 never took off! Perhaps this weighed in on those board meetings.

Skull One

Reaction score
Amen.. I agree with that. Makes me wonder why the Nexus1 never took off! Perhaps this weighed in on those board meetings.

Nexus One failed because of a poor marketing and distribution setup. I believe Google stated that within the last 45 days.

bad4u

Reaction score
Ok so I read this whole post and haven't seen it mentioned. Apple right now is facing a major class action (not for the antenna) for the lock down on their devices. Not allowing 3rd party apps. Essentially telling the users what they can and cant do with their phone. If the courts side against apple, I see Motorola turning face very quick.

Hate to say it but it might make an iPhone actually worth buying again. :icon_eek:

sin vicious

Reaction score

Nexus One failed because of a poor marketing and distribution setup. I believe Google stated that within the last 45 days.

They used such a innovative model. Very open to the public with different options.. and the model was not profitable. So how does Moto,HTC and the likes take comfort in a open approach?

ewells2420

Reaction score

wow.. are you serious? I see no gotcha gimmicks.. no phone is ever sold with the promise of bootloader accessibility. Why do you feel entitled to change a products intent, just buy another phone.

motorola knew exactly what they were doing by leaving the driod unlocked to produce more hype and revenue. Thus setting a standard and expected level of service and usability. I am ENTITLED to what I paid for, and reasonable level of service and access.

sin vicious

Reaction score

motorola knew exactly what they were doing by leaving the driod unlocked to produce more hype and revenue. Thus setting a standard and expected level of service and usability. I am ENTITLED to what I paid for, and reasonable level of service and access.

"I am ENTITLED to what I paid for"

Agree, this is what you paid for: DROID DOES

nothing here says anything about rooting, flashing...

ewells2420

Reaction score

Like I said moto set the standard to what I am expecting to be entitled to, when they released the driod. But im not going to keep arguing about it. I know they are greedy bastards and will NOT EVER give them my business again after this X.

sin vicious

Reaction score

Like I said moto set the standard to what I am expecting to be entitled to, when they released the driod. But im not going to keep arguing about it. I know they are greedy bastards and will NOT EVER give them my business again after this X.

"I know they are greedy bastards and will NOT EVER give them my business again after this X"

:r_c: Why not start now.. you could always return it? That was good.. I WILL NOT EVER give them my business again.......... after the x..lol