Moto explains why they locked the bootloader

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by titans, Jul 14, 2010.

1. sin vicious

sin vicious Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry had a meeting to attend to... Gotta love deploying docis 3.0..

This i my point exactly..

2. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Android uses the Apache license but it also has code, being in the linux kernel patches themselves, that are GPL V2 and because of this anything that relies on these patches is by default covered under the GPL V2 as stated in the excerpt from the article I posted. So regardless of the licensing being touted by Google, et al. the GPL V2 comes into play in this instance. Which is why I contacted the FSF for further clarification as to whether or not there is a legal issue. IF there is I will then request that this issue be pursued and rectified. Either by removing the GPL'd code which would essentially cripple Android OR by forcing the hardware manufacturers whether it be Motorola, Samsung, etc... to open their bootloaders and allow root access easily and have a safe backup and restore method similar to that used on the Droid with a .SBF file. Richard Stallman is coming to visit my workplace in a few weeks to talk with some friends and I am going to ask his opinion on this as well to see if there is any merit.

3. steven.rn

steven.rn Member

Ratings:
    +0

4. sin vicious

sin vicious Member

Ratings:
    +0

5. garath

garath Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not a lawyer and I'll be the first to admit that quite a bit of the "legalese" of the licenses go over my head. You may be right, I don't know if such a case is fruitful but you could be right.

However, the portions of the linux kernel that fall under GPL v2 are mentioned on the page I linked and explicitly states "with system exceptions". Regardless of what those exceptions are, I believe that when Google states their reasoning for choosing the licensing they did for Android is to allow manufactures to lock down their devices (paraphrased of course), they probably looked into it.

I understand your reasons for being upset. It's a testament to the device that it is desirable enough to cause such frustration. I don't agree with your approach to the problem, but this is the internet, no need to always agree.

6. sin vicious

sin vicious Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Your speaking from a programmers perspective, you standto loose much fun. However, when you purchase a phone you accept the terms of service that is attached to said device. Again like a car..you purchase a car, is it yours? Yes.. is it legal or permissible mess with the regulator? No. Can the car go faster then 120? Yes.. Because its capped. The same with many many other products. Are they trying to force obsolescence? Sure.. just as pc manufacturers do, fashion does, game systems do and just about any technology gadget does. I see it as progress, as they try to attach newer software to better hardware. This leaves room for smart people to create some really cool apps and home replacements apps to do some really neat things. Just remember a company is in business to do whats right for the shareholders, money is what its all about. The very reason droidforums has advertisers and androidcentral and droid-life...

7. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0

8. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately because Motorola is a corporation this is the only way to approach the situation. Motorola will not listen to the consumer unless the vast majority of them forgo the purchase of a Droid X for a competing manufacturers device.

9. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not about apps. You can make an app to run on anything. It is about the ability to control the device fully. Install a custom ROM compiled from the Google AOSP. The fact that the phones are being locked down completely negates the need for the AOSP as it will then become a formality of the software licensing to offer the source even though you can't do anything with it. Get it?

10. sin vicious

sin vicious Member

Ratings:
    +0

11. sin vicious

sin vicious Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Then this should be the goal.. :)

12. Hiroller173

Hiroller173 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As soon as I heard that Verizon wanted to charge for tethering, I figured the end was near... When mods can offer something for free that the carriers want to charge for, the carriers are going to insist on control. Their purchasing power and/or partnership agreements are much more directly and personally important than the customer relationship - unless enough customers make a big enough stink. I personally just stunk up Motorola's email with my complaint and promise to go elsewhere for my next phone.

13. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is one of the goals. The other is to approach it from a legal standpoint to see if there is a licensing violation. If so either Android in general is in violation if so the software issues will have to be rectified to remove the offending code. If the offending code cannot be removed without stopping Android in its' tracks then the licensing has to change or Android ceases as we know it. If the licensing changes that means that the hardware manufacturers will be in violation and will have to open bootloaders and offer an easy root method as well as restore method OR they stop making Android phones. Any of these outcomes works for me. Regardless of the "Do no evil" mantra of Google if there is a problem it needs to be fixed. Period. Innovation at the cost of Freedom isn't worth a damned thing.

14. Jmart922

Jmart922 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If all future moto phones will be affected then that's too bad, I was looking forward to the 2ghz phone they were talking about, and seeing custom themes/Over clocking on that baby

15. sin vicious

sin vicious Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We shall see, but from the looks of it your wrong. The market is proving that consumers still want this phone. This phone sold out in 2 hours from every best buy and verizon store i know in my county.

Search tags for this page

bootloader license with proprietary software

locked bootloaders lgpl