Moto E Officially Announced for $129, Moto G with LTE and microSD Announced As Well

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moto_E_Buddy_Shots.jpg

Early this morning Motorola announced their next step toward ultra-affordable smartphones, the Moto E. The new budget-friendly device will be $129 in the US and £89 in the UK (the price for the Eurozone countries is expected to be around €129). Please be aware, that this is the off contract and SIM-free, unlocked price for the device.

Here's a breakdown of the specs which match the super-cheap price:

• 4.3-inch 540×960 touchscreen
  • 5 MP rear camera
  • 1.2 GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 processor (with ARM Cortex-A7 cores)
  • 1 GB of RAM
  • 4 GB of built-in storage space
  • A microSD card slot
  • 21 Mbps HSPA
  • Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS
  • Non-removable 1,980 mAh battery
  • Android 4.4 KitKat (guaranteed to get at least one Android update in the future)
  • Dimensions are 124.8×64.8×12.3 mm, and it weighs 140 grams

[video=youtube;v5Asedlj2cw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Asedlj2cw[/video]​

As you can see from the specs, the rumors we reported earlier about no front-facing camera turned out to be true. This was obviously the most notable cost saving move on Moto's part.

The Moto E will be coming to retail markets in 40 countries across 80 as-yet unnamed carriers. It is available in the U.S. right now. You can order a GSM only version from Motorola here: http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/shop-all-other/Moto-E/moto-e.html#steps/1

As we shared in the title of the story, this new budget device isn't the only thing Moto unveiled. They will also release a 4G LTE version of their Moto G. Not only does this new version of the popular mid-range device now include LTE, it also includes a microSD slot, which the original Moto G did not.

This new Moto G will hit retail stores in a few weeks as well, and will come at a price of $219 in the US and £149 in the UK (probably €219 in the Eurozone). The price of the original Moto G remains unchanged at $179.

Source: Motorola

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Motorola just upped their game. Mark my words, this will be a hit.

biglilome

Reaction score
it seems like they're getting even better. I might have to watch out!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Motorola just upped their game. Mark my words, this will be a hit.
Moto G was a massive hit and you can bet the E will do even better. This is what made Nokia dominant back in the day, dirt cheap high quality handsets

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
As you can see from the specs, the rumors we reported earlier about no front-facing camera turned out to be true. This was obviously the most notable cost saving move on Moto's part.

I would say the 4GB's of RAM was the real cost cutter here. 4??? Really???
Although VERY pleased to see a MOTO PHONE with a SD Card slot. If that continues I will be very pleased that Moto got sold.

omar908

Reaction score
I would say the 4GB's of RAM was the real cost cutter here. 4??? Really???
Although VERY pleased to see a MOTO PHONE with a SD Card slot. If that continues I will be very pleased that Moto got sold.

Actually its 1Gb of ram with 4Gb of onboard memory plus SD card to make up for it, unless I'm reading it wrong.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Eh....

Cool on the cost savings and all, but I'd rather dish out a bit more coin for a more spec'd out phone.

Moto X hit it on the head for me. I'd love to see a really solid successor to this phone. And yeah, the X doesn't have the greatest specs either, but they are at least above average, the phone runs absolutely flawlessly, and it has a great interface coupled with innovative features.

I certainly am not looking to downgrade with a newer phone...

EDIT: I also hope this isn't the ONLY road Motorola is choosing to go down, with entry level phones and all. I also don't want to see another Verizon family Droid line either...

I say, keep with the innovation, but continue to make some higher-end phones too.

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is a Moto phone for every one. A child or a grandmother may not need the fastest phone out there but rather a reliable affordable one like the E.

Last edited:

TatDroid

Reaction score
Cool on the cost savings and all, but I'd rather dish out a bit more coin for a more spec'd out phone.
Which is precisely why you (and I) are not the target market for this phone. This is directed primary at customers that don't have to make that choice, because they don't HAVE the coin to dish out. (loving my current Moto X, btw)

Last edited: