Moto Droid Sim card?

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a laptop that has a slot for cell phone sim cards so I can access the net anywhere I get service. My question though is does the Moto Droid have a sim card? I have always heard that Verizon doesn't use them, but some people say their Verizon phones have them. Can Anyone tell me if it does or not?

Thank you

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Droid does not have a SIM card. Only world phones on VZW have SIM cards... and the Droid is not a world phone.

OP
steveninspokane
Reaction score
Ok then, that's too bad, but anyways, Thanks for the super quick response.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can always do a search for "tethering" which would allow you to use your Droid connection to connect a PC to the internet :)

OP
steveninspokane
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I thought I read on this board awhile ago that verizon was going to support tethering for the droid soon, spring maybe, is that still a possibility?

I have already rooted, and then unrooted my droid, seeing how I wasn't quite ready to have a broken warranty only 2 days after getting it. :p

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you've already gone thru rooting, you might want to check out the Hacks section of the forum... and see what can be done about tethering. There are ways of tethering without VZW... but you need a rooted phone

OP
steveninspokane
Reaction score
Yeah, rooting was pretty simple, with how much drama I was reading about it, I thought it was going to change my entire phone from a GUI to a cmd line base, haha. I think I might hold off though till I get 2.1 and then see what Verizon has to offer, unless what Verizon has to offer comes with an extra charge.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well hopefully the 2.1 wait won't be much longer. I'm content with my device now however.
Just wanted to let you know you did have options to tether!

OP
steveninspokane
Reaction score
haha, I had just been reading now about the tethering options, the PDAnet option sounds pretty good, I will probably go that route. And as you said, This phone owns just as it is, I can't imagine it getting any better, however, those 2 extra screens for apps and widgets does sound nice. :)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
A few of the Verizon BB's have them...I know the Storm1 did....

You can unloack the phone and use overseas with a local sim.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a laptop that has a slot for cell phone sim cards so I can access the net anywhere I get service. My question though is does the Moto Droid have a sim card? I have always heard that Verizon doesn't use them, but some people say their Verizon phones have them.
Only GSM carriers use SIM cards (well, iDen does as well but we'll ignore that for the context of this thread). Verizon's world phones are hybrid CDMA/GSM devices so they can operate on GSM networks while traveling internationally. That's the intent anyway. Many of these hybrid devices can operate on domestic GSM networks as well.

Even if you found a Verizon phone with a SIM card the SIM wouldn't do you any good since it belongs to Verizon's GSM partner (Vodafone, IIRC) who doesn't have a domestic GSM network.

The larger 2 GSM carriers in the US are at&t and TMO. You'd need a SIM from one of them if you intend to use your laptop domestically.