Moto Droid RAZR MAXX root/unroot

babiyato

Reaction score
My friend rooted my phone with CyanogenMod and I can't figure out how to unroot it. I wouldn't mind it being rooted, but my phone freezes every time I use it. Someone please help me.

The1stvman

Reaction score
Also Looking

Sorry Samantha, I too am looking to unroot my xt912 razr maxx due to freezes and reboots. Can anyone help with a link or info on how I can remove the 4.0.3 root version 6.14.75XT912 Verizon.en.US. Purchased the phone already rooted, however it is not allowing me to upgrade to 4.0.4 OTA version. I read some where that the phone needs to be unrooted. Will Matt's Utility 1.8 work on unrooting the phone so I can install the OTA version to eliminate the freezes. Thank You in advance for you help.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Sorry Samantha, I too am looking to unroot my xt912 razr maxx due to freezes and reboots. Can anyone help with a link or info on how I can remove the 4.0.3 root version 6.14.75XT912 Verizon.en.US. Purchased the phone already rooted, however it is not allowing me to upgrade to 4.0.4 OTA version. I read some where that the phone needs to be unrooted. Will Matt's Utility 1.8 work on unrooting the phone so I can install the OTA version to eliminate the freezes. Thank You in advance for you help.

The following may be your best and easiest way to go back to stock ICS so you can get the OTA version. Keep in mind, that will put you on the current OTA version and you will be set to get the JB OTA when it is released. Also, read read read to make sure this will work with your current root.
Going back to stock .211:
*On your pc, download and install Matt's Razr Utility 1.8 or 1.81 or 1.82. You can find 1.82 here:
Droid Razr Utility 1.82 [Windows] For Verizon Droid Razr And Droid Razr Maxx Only - DroidRzr.com
*Extract that utility to its own folder on your computer...you must extract the file on your pc. It will not work from your phone.
*After the utility is extracted, go to the Motorola drivers folder in the utility and make sure you have the latest Motorola drivers installed on your pc.
*make sure your phone is set to usb debugging mode (menu>system setting>developer options).
*Power your phone off. Then power your phone on while holding down your power, the volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously.
*Connect your phone to your computer with the factory supplied usb cable.
*On your phone select AP Fastboot, then in the utility select option 1..."restore phone to stock .211. Do not unplug the usb cable until the utility finishes.
*When completed your phone should reboot to stock .211.
*After running option 1, restart phone to make sure all is fine.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Doesn't need to be 100% but it should be at LEAST 70-80%. If it dies during the process then you will have a whole new set of headaches.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

curtisbrannan1

Reaction score
What I would love to know is how to root my Droid RAZR Maxx with 912 without having to use a computer lol

glsmaxx

Reaction score
I have the same phone from the same provider . I really just want to root so I can take advantage of the apps that require root. Mainly avast's root only features . Surely there is a safe way to get it done
I am also interested in taking the JB ota if possible . So... if ONLY zergrush would work . I have used it many times on my X and other people's X. I wonder if time will fix our problem? Will maybe, just stepping back and giving it some time give these smart folks time to come up with a SAFE way to root AND unroot this phone?

I can't believe Bluegrass Cellular is giving developers such a problem
I don't understand why Motorola has to come out with 50 different variants of the same device either . I mean come on... I knew when Google got their hands on Motor it was downhill from there . Motorola used to be the best equipment out.
. Period . Now Moto will be just like the rest . I don't like the Maxx really but I HATE a phone that has to b charged as much as it is used . When I turned it on I felt like I had a Samsung in my hands . Power button on top right and the same start screen... not to mention the feel...

glsmaxx

Reaction score
Well, I guess us XT908 owners running ICS from Blueass Cell are screwed as usual. It's 5am here and I am not @ 100% yet but after reading the thread again I don't see where anyone mentioned these are CDMA devices. I just wonder if this is where our problems stem from. I, have only had this phone for about a week but it seems to be MUCH less buggy than a lot of the others. I have never been able to install custom ROMS as Blueass has NO sbf files and this poor old country boy can't take the chance of destroying something as costly as today's dumbphones are. I , really miss the apps I used to be able to use on my rooted X. Actually, I miss my X. With a 3500mah battery it (running Gingerbread) was a great phone. I had problems with the physical buttons going south but it was nothing Button Savior couldn't handle. I see myself going back to it sooner or later. Also I never ever had a problem rooting it. There weren't near as many variations of it. I always used Zergrush to root / unroot. There never has nor ever will b anything more simple. I would still be using it today had my son not decided I needed a Maxx. I am amazed at how many things are problematic with these Maxxes. I mean I have been reading about them daily and as a whole, every feature is giving someone problems on one or more of the various Razr Maxx models. I can honestly say my Bluegrass Cellular phone is one of the least problematic ones. I hope
I can keep JB from installing on mine. Was basically the same with the X when Bluegrass upgraded to Gingerbread OTA. I didn't want it. It installed whether I wanted it to or not and luckily worked flawlessly. I used to not like having to use Bluegrass but as a whole they are much more solid than most of the others.

Chairwolf

Reaction score
Well, I guess us XT908 owners running ICS from Blueass Cell are screwed as usual. It's 5am here and I am not @ 100% yet but after reading the thread again I don't see where anyone mentioned these are CDMA devices. I just wonder if this is where our problems stem from. I, have only had this phone for about a week but it seems to be MUCH less buggy than a lot of the others. I have never been able to install custom ROMS as Blueass has NO sbf files and this poor old country boy can't take the chance of destroying something as costly as today's dumbphones are. I , really miss the apps I used to be able to use on my rooted X. Actually, I miss my X. With a 3500mah battery it (running Gingerbread) was a great phone. I had problems with the physical buttons going south but it was nothing Button Savior couldn't handle. I see myself going back to it sooner or later. Also I never ever had a problem rooting it. There weren't near as many variations of it. I always used Zergrush to root / unroot. There never has nor ever will b anything more simple. I would still be using it today had my son not decided I needed a Maxx. I am amazed at how many things are problematic with these Maxxes. I mean I have been reading about them daily and as a whole, every feature is giving someone problems on one or more of the various Razr Maxx models. I can honestly say my Bluegrass Cellular phone is one of the least problematic ones. I hope
I can keep JB from installing on mine. Was basically the same with the X when Bluegrass upgraded to Gingerbread OTA. I didn't want it. It installed whether I wanted it to or not and luckily worked flawlessly. I used to not like having to use Bluegrass but as a whole they are much more solid than most of the others.

You can find lots of help over at this site... check the first 2 stickies. Droid RAZR MAXX - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I rooted my XT908 using Matt's Utility version 1.82. I am on Ntelos, not Bluegrass. The thread I linked has some GREAT stuff listed for ALLTEL phones, which DO work on my XT908 under Ntelos. We have rooted our XT908s, installed SafeStrap 3.11, flashed and patched ROMS, and with the help of kexec builds, even have custom JB roms running on our non-verizon CDMA XT908s, WITHOUT any OTA JB upgrades. No bull, it's working great.

Hopefully you will find some stuff that will work for you.

Good luck!

Bob

glsmaxx

Reaction score
I just wanted to root. Being a Blueass customer who has NO sbf files I would not feel comfortable flashing ROMs and stuff. I just want root. I will go check it out though.

Thanks.