MOTO Droid OTA!---Need Support

Micah

Reaction score
MOTO Droid OTA screwed up phone...go figure

I have a rooted droid, that has been on kangerade blueberry...i reverted this morning to bugless beast and now an OTA update from Verizon, is trying to update...if you do not want this DO NOT revert to a prior ROM. POST REPLYS

Last edited:

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a rooted droid, that has been on kangerade blueberry...i reverted this morning to bugless beast and now an OTA update from Verizon, is trying to update...if you do not want this DO NOT revert to a prior ROM. POST REPLYS

The OTA update should download no matter what ROM you're running. Since you are rooted, you're recovery (either SPR or Clockwork) will block the install.

I got this:

7ddfbbd7.png

but since I was already running a 2.2 ROM (Simply Stunning) the install failed.

OP
M

Micah

Reaction score
I now have a pretty much brocked phone, apparently the download did not in fact fail and tried to override. Now i have no ROM at all.Called verizon, they said they were going to over night me a droid, now i just have to make sure that it cant be proven that i rooted my now bricked droid.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP, are you able to boot into recovery? If so, you should be able to restore a backup.

OP
M

Micah

Reaction score
no recover..no SPRecovery OR the recovery mode that comes standard DROID...The only thing the phone does, is turn on, and force close everything.The only thing on the screen besides this is the notification bar.Other than this nothing is on the screen.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you ever try RSD Lite? Read up on box options 1 and 5, and only after doing so download the files and attempt to reflash your phone.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

Then you should be able to update to android 2.2 and reroot following this guide bellow.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

This should get you back to running Android 2.2 rooted with SPRecovery, SU privileges and the superuser app in the app drawer. After this you can move on to whatever you want.

If you want to continue running BB v0.4, then someone on it will need to chime in on how to stop the OTA. Could be as simple as deleting an .apk in the /system, or actually flashing a file to the phone, I don't honestly know.

Now back to my school work... :/

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Link 2 in my sig, option 1 then 5, then download and install the OTA, then Link 3 in my sig to root it and use SPR to install a custom Rom or backup.

Edit: Tank beat me to it!

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Link 2 in my sig, option 1 then 5, then download and install the OTA, then Link 3 in my sig to root it and use SPR to install a custom Rom or backup.

You got to be fast to beat me ;)

New guy.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you want to continue running BB v0.4, then someone on it will need to chime in on how to stop the OTA. Could be as simple as deleting an .apk in the /system, or actually flashing a file to the phone, I don't honestly know.

Now back to my school work... :/

To stop OTA prompts on BB 0.4, taken from http://www.peteralfonso.com/2010/08/how-to-stop-ota-notifications-on.html#more

1. Download stopota.zip
2. Place on sdcard (rename to update.zip if using SPRecovery)
3. Reboot into recovery mode
4. Choose and install stopota.zip (do not wipe data or cache)
5. Reboot

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Micah, I sent a PM to some of the other members of the rescue squad. As you can read, they responded quickly. And as you can also read, we have a lot of fun and wonderful senses of humor.

Thanks to Tallica and Tanknspank for the help.

Let us know how you resolve.

Mike

OP
M

Micah

Reaction score

i tried RSD early in the process, when opening the program i had the .sbf file SPrecovery, that all worked fine, however, the program couldn't recognize my device, thus the device properties where off and it couldn't flash.So re-flashing won't work either. I'm new to the forums, but not new to fixing my mistakes, but this one has truly stumped me.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

i tried RSD early in the process, when opening the program i had the .sbf file SPrecovery, that all worked fine, however, the program couldn't recognize my device, thus the device properties where off and it couldn't flash.So re-flashing won't work either. I'm new to the forums, but not new to fixing my mistakes, but this one has truly stumped me.

were you in the bootloader when trying to use RSDlite? and do you have the proper drivers on your computer so it can recognize the device?

OP
M

Micah

Reaction score

were you in the bootloader when trying to use RSDlite? and do you have the proper drivers on your computer so it can recognize the device?

yes i was in bootloader, and re downloaded the 64bit drivers, what appears to have happened was this: were i live i have horrible service, the download of the 2.2 (verizon edition) was started and i stopped it about 30% or so through the process, im thinking that some of the android skeleton was delted in order to move the new updated one in, so once i cancelled i ended up stopping in the middle with no ROM to boot into...the only thing on my screen is the notification car with the date and time, everything else is black.