1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

moto droid not showing names of callers right away.

Discussion in 'Android Forum' started by issues636, May 13, 2010.

1. issues636

issues636 New Member

alright so i have different ringtones set for different people, so i know who's calling. today my cousin called, yet it was my default ringtone, so i was wondering why. i told him to call again. then i told my sister to call. then my mom. then 2 of my friends.

what i realized from doing this, for the first 5 seconds of ringing or so, my moto droid just shows the phone number of who's calling, and THEN it pulls it from my contacts and shows me the name. the fact that it's not searching my contacts right away is causing everyone to get the default ringtone instead of their custom ones. any idea why there's that little "lag" with picking out the contact like that?
  2. ohioDroid

ohioDroid New Member

I had a similar problem today where it gave me a phone number and didn't immediately show the name of my contact or their picture.
  3. droiddollll

droiddollll New Member

This has been happening to me for the past week. It is still doing it and I still haven't figured out why.
  4. dkelly701

dkelly701 New Member

I believe that lag from running a home replacement app or launcher app such as Helix Launcher can cause lag and cause this to happen. If you are running one of those, switch back to the stock launcher and see if the problem goes away.
  5. issues636

issues636 New Member

that was what i was thinking, cause i never noticed it before i installed Helix Launcher. i looked through a bunch of Helix threads though and never saw anyone mentioning it, i'll switch back to stock and see if it still happens.
  6. glamtek666

glamtek666 New Member

Happened to me the other day for the first time. Caller ID screen showed the number but no contact info. I am running Helix launcher and trying out a different dialer app. That might be the culprit. PITA! Especially since I NEVER remember anyones phone numbers anymore just by looking at them!
  7. gonnadie4thegov

gonnadie4thegov New Member

yeah mine does it too
  8. b-jammin21

b-jammin21 New Member

So does mine. Running Helix Launcher.
  9. cssjamesr

cssjamesr New Member

So i guess we alll have the same problem cuz yes i do too. Now what would be the next step to get it fix!!!!
  10. droiddollll

droiddollll New Member

Yup, I'm running Helix.
  11. b-jammin21

b-jammin21 New Member

Well it looks like the next step to get it fixed would be to remove Helix Launcher. But I like Helix Launcher so this problem isn't big enough for me to get rid of it.
  12. gonnadie4thegov

gonnadie4thegov New Member

Same, they still show up after a few secs and im starting to recognize the numbers. People call me so little i don't even have ringtone set up, everyone just texts me lol
  13. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

same problem here. Helix also. pisses me the hell off. but i dont know if i want to dump helix :(
  14. Vitticeps

Vitticeps New Member

Same here, helix as well.

Any good alternatives with the 4 app slots flanking the app drawer? That's the only part I really like about helix. I only use 3 screens.
  15. papy72

papy72 New Member

I have the same issue and I'm running the ClockworkMod Launcher. So I don't think it's "just" Helix.
  16. Mikejl

Mikejl New Member

Mine has been doing this also. This morning my wife called and again the default ring. However, this afternoon when I was using my droid and it was clocking at 800 MHz, she called again and it ran at her custom ringtone.

So what I am wondering is if it might have to do with my SetCpu profile setting of 250 - 1000 MHz and the phone clocking at 250 MHz when I get most of my calls. 250 MHz may not be enough power to get to the custom ringtone in time.

To test this out I set the SetCpu Profile to 600 - 1000 MHz. Will test it out later tonight.

Mike

RedRum Chaos 1.3 24K Themed
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  17. issues636

issues636 New Member

alright so i restarted my phone just to see if it helped at all, clearing running apps or anything. my cousin called, and still default ring, no name for a few seconds. i uninstalled helix and had him call again, his ringtone, his name, everything works fine. i kinda didn't wanna dump helix, but not having the right ringtones is a big enough deal to me, because where i work i can't always grab my phone. so if it's not a certain person (family member, etc), i know it's not really important so i don't have to go check my phone til i'm done.

i can deal with 3 screens, i only used 5, not even 7, but i cut it down pretty easily with folders. the only part i'm really gonna miss is the 4 apps at the bottom. i LOVED that part.
  18. Mikejl

Mikejl New Member

Well changing the SetCpu profile failed to work 3 out of 4 times. :angry:

I may try going to Helix1 launcher when the next rev of Redrum Chaos rolls out and see if that will work or not, but I need the 4 apps at the bottom more than the custom ringtones.

Glad to hear you got your custom ringtones working properly!!

Mike

RedRum Chaos 1.3 24K Themed
  19. issues636

issues636 New Member

yeah i need the ringtones more than the apps. the apps are definitely great to have, makes it alot easier, but if i had to choose one (like i basically did) it had to be the ringtones.
    my problems were actually with Helix1, not 2. i never even bothered with 2. so i wouldn't expect switching over to 1 to work out much better.
  20. uscjoel

uscjoel New Member

Im running Helix 1 with the same issues...
    I was curious to see what the deal was with SetCPU...Im thinking about rooting and flashing BB.