moto droid not recognizing sd card

android15

Reaction score
Hi all,
After rebooting my droid I realized it was not reading or recognizing my sd card. When I go into sd card and phone storage settings it says to insert a sd card for mounting. Is there anyway to fix this or am I out of luck?

Thanks for any help.

wojtalsd

Reaction score
Have you tried removing and reinserting it? If that didn't work try another micro sd card. Might be a good excuse to get a bigger and better card! ;)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You probably need to reformat your SD, to make sure pull the battery and the SD and then put them back and power back up, if it still doesn't recognize it then you should mount the card to your computer via card reader and save what files you can

Erase the card and put it back in your phone, if it recognizes it then go to settings/sdcard and choose unmount and then select format (let it format)....then remount

If all goes well you shoult be able to mount to your computer via USB and drag your salvaged files back to your SD-keep in mind some files that you saved you will not want to put back on your SD card, these are the files that Android creates on the SD card upon start up and during format...you will see the files already on the card so don't overwrite the new ones with the old ones

If none of this works your SD card is under warranty from Verizon

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Have you tried removing and reinserting it? If that didn't work try another micro sd card. Might be a good excuse to get a bigger and better card! ;)

Now that Froyo's out, with apps2SD, a better (faster?) card sounds like a good idea anyway.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now that Froyo's out, with apps2SD, a better (faster?) card sounds like a good idea anyway.
I believe the MotoDroid is only capable of reading and writing at a class 2 rate of speed, so a faster card probably wouldn't make much difference-the DX and D2 might be a different story

OP
A

android15

Reaction score
I tried removing and inserting it numerous times and the phone won't recognize that it is in. I think the 16gb was big enough for me haha

OP
A

android15

Reaction score
You probably need to reformat your SD, to make sure pull the battery and the SD and then put them back and power back up, if it still doesn't recognize it then you should mount the card to your computer via card reader and save what files you can

Erase the card and put it back in your phone, if it recognizes it then go to settings/sdcard and choose unmount and then select format (let it format)....then remount

If all goes well you shoult be able to mount to your computer via USB and drag your salvaged files back to your SD-keep in mind some files that you saved you will not want to put back on your SD card, these are the files that Android creates on the SD card upon start up and during format...you will see the files already on the card so don't overwrite the new ones with the old ones

If none of this works your SD card is under warranty from Verizon

Unfortunately the card reader didn't recognize it either. How long is the SD card under warranty for because I bought the phone off of ebay about 5 months ago and I dont know how long the guy had it for.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Should be warrantied for a year, and the droid hasnt been out a year yet so no worries there. Only issue might be that you are not the original owner. Take it to a verizon store and tell them about it, dont mention that you are not the original owner unless they specifically ask. Good luck.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
From what I have read, you will be told by Verizon that the card is covered by the card manufacturer not them. They will refer you to Sandisk, but they are not the supplier of all the cards. Can get to be a hassle. Good luck.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon replaced a 32GB for me, no questions asked...of course I bought it seperate, directly from them

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Verizon replaced a 32GB for me, no questions asked...of course I bought it seperate, directly from them

Yeah, that's the caveat that I should have put in my post. I've read of them replacing sdcards that were delivered with the phone, but that was like back in December. Lately there have been two threads where the op was directed to contact the card supplier directly. One was pretty funny in fact because he said when he contacted Sandisk they were very nice and friendly until they/he figured out the card he had was not a Sandisk card and then they got really rude and abusive towards him. Hope the op has a better experience as it's hell when some little cubicle guy in India get rude!! :)