Moto Droid motherboard swap

inessi

Reaction score
buddys got a waterlogged moto droid ive got a shattered moto droid thinking of swapping my mother board into his still good droid.

would there be any problems ?

Appleanche

Reaction score
buddys got a waterlogged moto droid ive got a shattered moto droid thinking of swapping my mother board into his still good droid.

If you are skilled enough.. but what do you mean "shattered" the screen? Wouldn't it be just much easier replacing the screen?

Water logged can mean just about everything is screwed, including the screen and digitalizer.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

If you are skilled enough.. but what do you mean "shattered" the screen? Wouldn't it be just much easier replacing the screen?

Water logged can mean just about everything is screwed, including the screen and digitalizer.

whats that ^^^???

but yea, if its waterlogged, id presume everything insides ruined, including this "digitalizer" that ive never heard of lol

Moondonkey

Reaction score
you dont know what a digitalizer is!!!

its that thing that converts the internetz from analog to digital.:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Without it the net would just look like post it notes.

Taegost

Reaction score
The screen may still be good, provided the water didn't corrode the contacts or seep inside the layers... Won't know until you try!
Does your buddy not have insurance on the phone? If not, hell, give it a whirl... I mean, what's the worst that can happen? You end up with two useless Droids?
I'd recommend doing a Google search on the teardown of the Droid first though, apparently they've hidden some of the screws, and some are hard to get to.
G'luck!

OP
I

inessi

Reaction score
my concern was if there were any hardware mis matches like motherboard not liking the soundboard and stuff

spencettu

Reaction score
All the parts are interchangeable. I would wait until the phone is dry and then see if it powers up and what exactly is working. In my experience with water damaged moto droids the LCD will fail more often then the motherboard. Check to see if a computer can recognize the phone when plugged into usb. If the motherboard is dead there is a good chance the LCD is also. There is also water sticker (not the red/white one) on the motherboard that you can see if you take the battery door off.