Moto Droid "mid to low tier?"

Foy

Reaction score
Story from MSNBC:

' Android: Google's software has been on a tear, racking up a lot of support from manufacturers, and favorable reviews. There was just one Android phone out in 2008. At the end of 2009, there were more than a dozen, from Motorola, HTC and Samsung and others.
"I think 2010 is a year when Android share will really expand," Golvin says.
Android is free for manufacturers as part of Google's effort to stimulate use of its Web services on cell phones. It's attracting a lot of attention from application developers, but the offerings still don't match those on the iPhone, either in quantity or quality.
Carlaw believes Android will, much like Symbian, mainly be used in mid-to-low tier smart phones, leaving the high end of the market to the iPhone, and perhaps Nokia's Maemo.'

I though the Motorola Droid WAS a high-end smart phone.
Anyway, it's become a serious player in a very short time.

Foy
Las Vegas

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Story from MSNBC:

' Android: Google's software has been on a tear, racking up a lot of support from manufacturers, and favorable reviews. There was just one Android phone out in 2008. At the end of 2009, there were more than a dozen, from Motorola, HTC and Samsung and others.
Android is free for manufacturers as part of Google's effort to stimulate use of its Web services on cell phones. It's attracting a lot of attention from application developers, but the offerings still don't match those on the iPhone, either in quantity or quality.
Carlaw believes Android will, much like Symbian, mainly be used in mid-to-low tier smart phones, leaving the high end of the market to the iPhone, and perhaps Nokia's Maemo.'

Foy
Las Vegas

For the price we pay, it sure is.

Let's all go inform their writers that Droid is a top end smart phone! Maybe we can get a retraction :)

I'm also pretty sure Droid is a direct competition to iPod, that writer should research better.

carbonnoid

Reaction score
the writer should be fired. The specs alone are high end, on top of that that OS is beautiful. What is wrong with people. I really dislike Apple bias

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the writer should be fired. The specs alone are high end, on top of that that OS is beautiful. What is wrong with people. I really dislike Apple bias

I agree that the writer is wrong, but one article doesn't show a bias.

lockman

Reaction score

You answered your own question. Probably one of those people that'll fight through 5 dropped calls to tell you the iPhone's better.

Reaction score
The ONLY thing the iphone has over the droid is more apps. Even that is skewed due to the larger amount of free apps on android.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

I agree that the writer is wrong, but one article doesn't show a bias.

To an extent I agree, we also don't have the full article to compare against.

I wonder if we could get a link to it? I'll go *GOOGLE* it. ha ha.

Edit: Full link to article HERE

Last edited:

TimChgo9

Reaction score
The Apple bias is there, because everyone is embracing the forgotten step child. Back in the day, when computers were new, the IBM compatible (for all of it's short comings) rocked Apple in sales, and market share. Performance and ease of use aside, Apple was always the underdog in the computer world. People who owned Apple computers (Apple IIe, Apple Macintosh) were fanatical about their computers, and were fanatically loyal to the company. Apple's market share grew over the years, but not much, but for the last, oh say, ten years or so, Apple has been gaining ground, and and people love Apple, because it's cool to love them, and it's cool, and fashionable to have their products now, and people are rushing to be part of the "cult of Apple" that was prominent in 80's and 90's. Also, it makes the owner of such products seem intelligent, and discerning.

I tire of listening to people who, after buying an Apple computer, become Apple fanboys, as if Apple is the end all be all of computing.... My brother switched to Apple a couple of years ago, and when he started talking about his computer, and dissing mine (A Windows system) I wanted to duct tape his mouth....

Anyway, I think that the Droid is definitely top tier, and is certainly not in the same league as some other smart phones.

srtfool32

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
being biased so apple feels its still winning at something. but really there getting whoopped all across the board. :)

iPirate

Reaction score
Story from MSNBC:

Foy
Las Vegas
MicrosoftNBC

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The rest of the mobile phone world is uniting to take down Apple's App store. :) And Adobe is definitely releasing AIR to Android first, just to spite Apple. IMO.

pudah

Reaction score
If you measure the quality and ability in sheer number of apps available or the desire of developers to seek out profits in an application market, then fine, the Droid is mid to low. What this writer did was to assume that was a fair barometer for the quality, functionality and ability of the device. Because Nokia is a high end brand I guess it gets the automatic pass up to the high end. The only thing lacking here was actual investigation, comparison and of course facts.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
i dont think the writer doesnt meant to be biased he just doesnt know better especially if he using the iphone. the 'user' friendly eye candy game he has for so long he doesnt know what the droid does. he been breast fed to long to let go of the nipple. ;)

ininfinitum

Reaction score
I think you guys are taking the article too seriously. The writer wrote that Android would "mainly be used in mid-to-low tier smart phones." This implies that the actual OS will most likely be used for these types of phones due to it being free to manufacturers. It doesn't say that high end phones won't use Android.