Moto Droid Issue

BoostHungry

Reaction score
Two Things:
First, I put my hand in my pocket a few minutes ago to find that my phone was hot, hot enough to make my leg warm. I take it out and notice the pop-up that says my battery is getting below 15%. Then right before my eyes it drops again to below 5%. I just charged the phone last night, not overnight, but last night. I have all power features off, including the screen at it's dimmist so there is no way it should be dieing already. I'm usually good for 48 hours on my battery unless under heavy load. I turned off the phone and back on and it seems a little cooler but that was weird. Ideas?

Second, I've been noticing a loss of signal more-so then usual. I generally have horrible service at work but it's been worse then usual. And what's even worse is my buddies with their blackberry's also on Verizon are not having the same issues. I used to be able to send and recieve texts, even picture texts at work. But now it seems it's dropping down to zero service and getting stuck there. I used to be able to step outside for some service but now I can walk all the way out into the parking lot and the service doesn't come back until I turn the phone on and off again. I would get home from work and an hour later get hit with 3 or 4 text messages that were all sent while I was at work. Ideas?

Please help because I'm starting to think I need to replace the phone. Is anything like this covered under the one year manufactures warranty or will I have to pay the $90 deductible?

Thanks,
- BoostHungry

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Two Things:
First, I put my hand in my pocket a few minutes ago to find that my phone was hot, hot enough to make my leg warm. I take it out and notice the pop-up that says my battery is getting below 15%. Then right before my eyes it drops again to below 5%. I just charged the phone last night, not overnight, but last night. I have all power features off, including the screen at it's dimmist so there is no way it should be dieing already. I'm usually good for 48 hours on my battery unless under heavy load. I turned off the phone and back on and it seems a little cooler but that was weird. Ideas?

Second, I've been noticing a loss of signal more-so then usual. I generally have horrible service at work but it's been worse then usual. And what's even worse is my buddies with their blackberry's also on Verizon are not having the same issues. I used to be able to send and recieve texts, even picture texts at work. But now it seems it's dropping down to zero service and getting stuck there. I used to be able to step outside for some service but now I can walk all the way out into the parking lot and the service doesn't come back until I turn the phone on and off again. I would get home from work and an hour later get hit with 3 or 4 text messages that were all sent while I was at work. Ideas?

Please help because I'm starting to think I need to replace the phone. Is anything like this covered under the one year manufactures warranty or will I have to pay the $90 deductible?

Thanks,
- BoostHungry

It sounds to me like two things are going on. You've got an app running that is draining your battery, and your Droid is having a tough time getting a signal. That would cause your Droid to heat up like you describe.

That isn't anywhere dangerous, just an FYI, I've ran my Droid much hotter then that.

But it is a concern that somebody else is getting a better radio signal then you, but it's probably because they are using a totally different radio.

What you can do about it is try a new baseband, if you are rooted and see if that helps. If you're just stock then there really isn't much that can be done.

You can always try a Factory Data Reset and see if that helps. If you don't want to do that you can still return your Droid, it's under warranty to Verizon. You will not be charged anything for that.

OP
B

BoostHungry

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

Hmmm, I was playing Robo Defense for a little while but closed it down. Battery was sitting at a good 70% then though and then it went down to 5% within about 45 minutes. Wish I checked the battery usage before I turned the phone off. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

The service problems I'm having does seem like an issue because it's never been this bad. And I find the phone not finding service again when I know I'm in a better service area. I have to restart the phone and then magically I have 3 bars + 3G. Ideas on that? Something I have to live with? Had the phone for 9 months now and this has only been an issue the last month or so. Also it's not just the BBs that beat me on signal strength at work. My buddy's G1 is getting better service while I'm sitting at liturally "No Service".

Philba

Reaction score
steve jobs would say you are holding it wrong...

It sounds like there might be a problem with your antenna. Did the phone get dropped or take a hit somehow?